My search for the right bike for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yeah, more than I'd want to spend on what is really just a basic bike. I remember when one used to go to a Halfords and buy a Raleigh with Sturmey-Archer 3-speed gears and it was fine for all sorts. Sometimes I feel we're being rather oversold!

Louise
Have you just found the answer?

Would a refurbed older bike be good for you? Is there anywhere outside that you might feel OK to leave a £150 bike?

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Have you just found the answer?

Would a refurbed older bike be good for you? Is there anywhere outside that you might feel OK to leave a £150 bike?
No and no! I'm ok to pay £400-550 ish for a new bike without suspension and I need a light alloy frame. Also, it would be too much hassle to buy second hand and I have bike shops in walking distance. No doubt someone bought my stolen Cobalt 1 for a bargain price on Ebay or Gumtree or whatever. As mentioned above, something like the Pinnacle Lithium or Trek Fx might do. I'll try and have a look at them tomorrow.

Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

You can take a trip to West Calder and go to Pedal Power, probably the best bike shop in Scotland.
Well, I could, in principle, but it would be a bit of a journey (walk, subway, train) and I'd rather use a shop that's within easy walking distance. I had a look on Pedal Power's website and they do have a good range. Still, I'm sure I'll be able to find something suitable locally.
Thanks
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I went to Evans earlier and had a look at Pinnacle Lithiums and a Neon plus a quick look at a Trek Step through. In some ways it would be nice to have a step through frame but it's not essential. The Trek was quite heavy and the Lithiums were still heavier than I hoped. The other bike shop has a small Liv Alight 3 disc due in next week / weekend. So I think I might go for that after all. They are going to contact me when they have it so I'll go down and check it for sizing and see if they can fit better tyres. I think it will probably do me and the base price is only £429.

Louise

Yeah, it's a bit cheap and cheerful! It has steel forks rather than lightweight alloy... I don't need an extra strong bike - I'm only 61kg :smile: I think the Pinnacle Lithium or Trek Fx Stagger might be ok if I can get off-road tyres.
Louise

I wouldn't call the Carrera Subway cheap and cheerful its got some decent long life components on it including a freehub based drivetrain. A quick look shows the Trek FX1 Stagger is very low end with a Sunrace freewheel and much more cheap and cheerful but I take your point you don't need the extra strength of a Carrera Subway but you did seem to state off-road is important to you but what level of off-road is critical. It sounds like you would be happy with a hybrid with a lighter frame and 700c/29" type wheels for some very light off-road use.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I wouldn't call the Carrera Subway cheap and cheerful its got some decent long life components on it including a freehub based drivetrain. A quick look shows the Trek FX1 Stagger is very low end with a Sunrace freewheel and much more cheap and cheerful but I take your point you don't need the extra strength of a Carrera Subway but you did seem to state off-road is important to you but what level of off-road is critical. It sounds like you would be happy with a hybrid with a lighter frame and 700c/29" type wheels for some very light off-road use.
Yeah - see my earlier post https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-search-for-the-right-bike-for-me.283299/post-6661509
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I went to Evans earlier and had a look at Pinnacle Lithiums and a Neon plus a quick look at a Trek Step through. In some ways it would be nice to have a step through frame but it's not essential. The Trek was quite heavy and the Lithiums were still heavier than I hoped. The other bike shop has a small Liv Alight 3 disc due in next week / weekend. So I think I might go for that after all. They are going to contact me when they have it so I'll go down and check it for sizing and see if they can fit better tyres. I think it will probably do me and the base price is only £429.

Louise
By the way, Evans have a sale on at the moment - some decent discounts :smile:

Louise

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'd rather lose my money than buying anything from Evans
Our local Evans is very good. The mechanic is very all about and helpful, the staff know their stuff and are generally nice cyclists. I might just be lucky with my branch, but I am happy with my Trek, from the sale there. I would not want to lug it up and down stairs though.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Update: went along to Dales earlier to check out the Liv Alight 3 disc 2021 I reserved. Have paid for it now. I think it will be ok for me and should be ok to get up and down the stairs (fingers crossed!). They are fitting mudguards and a kickstand for me. It should be ready to pick up sometime early next week :smile:

Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom