My search for the right bike for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Well, having slept on it, I decided the bike storage might actually be a good idea after all :smile: Still, laying out £72 is quite a lot for someone like me whose only income is the basic state pension. Anyway, there isn't a bike locker near me available at the moment. However, I've put my name down for one :smile:. In the meantime it's still the stairs...
Louise

Tenkaykev

Guru
Being in Glasgow, you should investigate this new scheme Bike Sheds. It may solve your problem.

Wow I wish something like that could be started everywhere! A bargain at £72 for an entire year, just twenty pence a day!
They have them opposite our daughters flat in Edinburgh. They seem well used.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

They have them opposite our daughters flat in Edinburgh. They seem well used.
You have to apply for one and it appears many have waiting lists. Most of the properties around me are flats so demand could be quite high. Especially now that the council have taken away free parking, though resident parking permits aren't much more at £85 pa currently, I think. Both charges will go up every year, of course... I don't know how long it will be until a bike shed near me becomes available. Hopefully, sometime this year!
Louise

CharlesF

Guru
Well, having slept on it, I decided the bike storage might actually be a good idea after all :smile: Still, laying out £72 is quite a lot for someone like me whose only income is the basic state pension. Anyway, there isn't a bike locker near me available at the moment. However, I've put my name down for one :smile:. In the meantime it's still the stairs...
Louise
Good idea not to dismiss it out of hand.

You’ve time to see how lugging the upstairs goes while waiting for the shed.

Once you develop a technique, taking the bike up and down may not be such a chore.

Just don’t let it put you off cycling !!!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You have to apply for one and it appears many have waiting lists. Most of the properties around me are flats so demand could be quite high. Especially now that the council have taken away free parking, though resident parking permits aren't much more at £85 pa currently, I think. Both charges will go up every year, of course... I don't know how long it will be until a bike shed near me becomes available. Hopefully, sometime this year!
Louise
The link says that they're installing more. Perhaps there's more chance of one going in near you if you and your neighbours have expressed an interest.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Great idea. If it allows someone to use a bike to replace using public transport just think how much they would be able to save over a year (assuming they don't qualify for a free bus pass:smile:)
For me, I have free bus travel but I tend to walk everywhere else have a concessionary fare on the subway. The bike is only for recreational use :rolleyes:
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Good idea not to dismiss it out of hand.

You’ve time to see how lugging the upstairs goes while waiting for the shed.

Once you develop a technique, taking the bike up and down may not be such a chore.

Just don’t let it put you off cycling !!!
I know what it's like getting up and down the stairs with a bike from when I had the Cobalt 1 4 years ago. Hopefully this Liv will be a bit lighter and easier though I'm older and weaker!
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

The link says that they're installing more. Perhaps there's more chance of one going in near you if you and your neighbours have expressed an interest.
I've put my name down for one supposedly coming up nearby at some point.
Louise

Great idea. If it allows someone to use a bike to replace using public transport just think how much they would be able to save over a year (assuming they don't qualify for a free bus pass:smile:)
I do qualify for a free bus pass - but carrying shopping back was always an issue as I have old ankle and knee injuries which make walking not the best activity for me, especially when carrying bags. In addition, the supermarket which I favour - and which is only a few miles away by cycle paths - has no bus service from where I live. I've calculated that I've already 'repaid' a significant proportion of the cost of my bike by the savings I've made in NOT needing to get a taxi once every week or ten days!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am going to bite the bullet here , people are going to hate what i say but after thinking about it i would say given the relatively little amount of riding you would be doing and the challenges you have to overcome with storage is a bike something you really need ?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I am going to bite the bullet here , people are going to hate what i say but after thinking about it i would say given the relatively little amount of riding you would be doing and the challenges you have to overcome with storage is a bike something you really need ?
one needn't need the things they want :okay:

It's all about having a system. Maybe take kit (helmet, drink , computer etc) downstairs in one trip.
Then the bike.

Or some variation on that. You often find that as you do it more - you will hit on the best method

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I just bought the bike because I wanted one. I don't have any problems with storage - just the challenge of the stairs. If I can get the bike shed that I put my name down for then - no problemo.
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

ok if people want to ignore me for looking at this from the angle of need / want when all i have done is try to help and look at this objectively rather than some people that have been rude and abrupt with their remarks go ahead i really dont have time to try and help anymore , i will leave the thread to run its course rather than have suffer any more sarcastic mudslinging
It has already run its course - I asked for it to be closed by a moderator but don't know if that can be done?
Louise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom