My search for the right bike for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have the Liv now - picked it up today. It's lighter than most hybrids but still a bit heavy for me and a bit of a struggle to get it up the stairs. Maybe things will improve with practice...
Louise
Other time as you wear out bits you could replace them with lighter components, thinner inner tubes, lighter tyres. I'm the opposite of that being a heavier rider I tend to add weight to my bike with stronger tyres and thicker tubes etc. Over time though you could lighten the bike slightly. As you ride the bike you may find your overall fitness will improve, back strength as well as legs and even your arm muscles slightly especially if you take it off-road a bit and making a lot of steering corrections all the time. It's all good for your overall strength and fitness.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Other time as you wear out bits you could replace them with lighter components, thinner inner tubes, lighter tyres. I'm the opposite of that being a heavier rider I tend to add weight to my bike with stronger tyres and thicker tubes etc. Over time though you could lighten the bike slightly. As you ride the bike you may find your overall fitness will improve, back strength as well as legs and even your arm muscles slightly especially if you take it off-road a bit and making a lot of steering corrections all the time. It's all good for your overall strength and fitness.
Not sure what I could replace really. At least, not and keep it a decent hybrid bike. I'm quite fit as I walk a lot and jog a bit too. But my arms are relatively weak... I don't expect to ride very frequently - maybe once or twice a week - Glasgow weather permitting! I probably won't go further than about 5k max, at first, anyway. Probably not more than about 8k max ever! I may get more confident - will have to see. Tomorrow might be ok for a first practice. I live in a cul-de-sac so it's fairly safe to practice riding up and down, changing gears etc. Once I get the hang of the bike I'll venture out onto a cycle path :smile:
Louise

vickster

Legendary Member
£72 a year!! I'd rather struggle with the stairs!
Louise
Only £6 a month :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have to carry my bike up and down a flight of stairs too... no option to leave it downstairs. I agree, removing the wheels and making two trips is clearly counter productive... does anyone really do this?! All i can say is, you'll get used to it and it will get easier. I can certainly tell when I'm not carrying the lock though. ;)

MontyVeda

Thinking back.... before i fitted the pannier rack and having no rear mudguard, I used to wheel it down the stairs on the back wheel.

It's by far the easiest way to go down so long as there's no mudguard in the way, but you'd still have to carry it up. :whistle:

Thinking back.... before i fitted the pannier rack and having no rear mudguard, I used to wheel it down the stairs on the back wheel.
View attachment 632836
It's by far the easiest way to go down so long as there's no mudguard in the way, but you'd still have to carry it up. :whistle:
Neither of my bikes have mudguards, so this is how I do it. However, with my back no longer much good, I can't get it up the stairs any longer. But I can tip up like that and reverse it into the lift. No good if one doesn't have access to a lift, though.

MontyVeda

Neither of my bikes have mudguards, so this is how I do it. However, with my back no longer much good, I can't get it up the stairs any longer. But I can tip up like that and reverse it into the lift. No good if one doesn't have access to a lift, though.
I was a bit p!ssed off after fitting the pannier rack... useful as it is, i have to carry my bike downstairs all the time :angry: :smile:

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

View attachment 632836
I think I'd be at risk of losing my balance trying that! Besides I had mudguards fitted...
Louise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom