my son bought a farm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Will CC members get mate's rates if staying there 😘
Englandlander tourists are as popular as a fart in a space suit in wales this year.

Luckily, I can switch into my islands accent and thus avoid detection :okay: I can also show them my Brora Rangers tattoo in lieu of a passport at border control.

All power your laddie Mr Rash, I hope the leap of faith works out well for the young feller.

Hope it all goes well. There is no money to be made in farming, hopefully tourism will be fruitful for him.
Actually the opposite. It's hard work but the rewards come in big packages every now and then and sometime a year or two. They know enough to squirrel away a large reserve for that drought, that blight and that unforeseen event.

Their biggest challenge is someone in the next generation taking over. The bright city lights are a distraction.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Actually the opposite. It's hard work but the rewards come in big packages every now and then and sometime a year or two. They know enough to squirrel away a large reserve for that drought, that blight and that unforeseen event.

Their biggest challenge is someone in the next generation taking over. The bright city lights are a distraction.
Are you a farmer? I'm not but my Dad was.

I'd challenge anyone to make enough money to pay back the loans you need to buy a farm (or lease a farm) and equip & stock it and make a good living, particularly on a small hill farm, which is the situation we are discussing, given the post started with "my son bought a farm in north wales". The big grain farmers used to be rolling in cash, but the economics of that have changed significantly particular subsidies so even that isnt particularity fruitful now. Supermarkets have driven down the prices of wholesale milk , livestock prices etc

If you bought and paid for your farm 30/40+ yeas ago (or inherited it) then the lifestyle is not bad but tough, but making it pay as business model from scratch in current times is very tricky. That is why the next generation isnt keen to takeover, they can earn more per hour stacking shelves for the supermarkets that have made the farm unprofitable.

Drago

Legendary Member
Starting from scratch in any large scale endeavour is liable to be very expensive, and not unique to farming. Ditto, continuing an established has the potential to be more profitable.

Thats a simple business proposition, not something special for farmers only to complajn about.

I do have great sympathy with the manner in which large retailers have driven prices down and how the NFU are happy to take subs but ultimately did little more than complain about it. Considering the wider situation Mr Rash's lad is probably taking the right tack with it.

I'd challenge anyone to make enough money to pay back the loans you need to buy a farm (or lease a farm) and equip & stock it and make a good living, particularly on a small hill farm, which is the situation we are discussing, given the post started with "my son bought a farm in north wales". The big grain farmers used to be rolling in cash, but the economics of that have changed significantly particular subsidies so even that isnt particularity fruitful now. Supermarkets have driven down the prices of wholesale milk , livestock prices etc

If you bought and paid for your farm 30/40+ yeas ago (or inherited it) then the lifestyle is not bad but tough, but making it pay as business model from scratch in current times is very tricky. That is why the next generation isnt keen to takeover, they can earn more per hour stacking shelves for the supermarkets that have made the farm unprofitable.

It's no different to many things where scale and automation improves efficiency and not just farming. Farm tractors were using GPS for ploughing the fields before we even saw Strava.

Gone are the high street butchers, tailors, cobblers etc but we still get our meat, clothes and shoes. You still get grants and subsidies but not for holding a price at the farm gate but into productive practices, seed culture etc.

Agree on smallholdings.

dodgy

Just looked up the location, it's within my usual stomping ground, in fact after I finish this cup of tea I'm riding out that way. Once the coffee shop is installed I'll put the word out for cyclists in the area :okay:

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Considering the wider situation Mr Rash's lad is probably taking the right tack with it.

It hasnt been a working farm for some time , B and B, plus holiday cottage and livery business, he is doing away with the livery and expanding the holiday side with caravan pitches and glamping pods.

Just looked up the location, it's within my usual stomping ground, in fact after I finish this cup of tea I'm riding out that way. Once the coffee shop is installed I'll put the word out for cyclists in the area :okay:

Thank you, i will post when its up and running.

Chislenko

Veteran
My lad paid us a visit today to show us the plans for the farm he has bought in mold ,north Wales, they had an offer accepted on a different one a while ago but buyer accepted a higher offer on the day they was due to sign contracts, anyhow this sale has now gone ahead.

the plans for the farm include, big extension to the farm house, 12 glamping pods, 6 static caravan pitches and 12 touring caravan pitches and a field for camping , all associated toilet blocks , shower blocks and a coffee shop, they have a hell of a lot of work to do in the coming months , today he is on his way to preston to visit a company that manufacture the glamping pods, I am glad the purchase went without hiccup this time , he has the drive to make it work but he has a hell of a lot of work to do.

Just for info if the company in Preston don't cut the mustard a guy who lives in our street makes pods and only a few miles from Mold.

https://m.facebook.com/chestercomposites1/

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It hasnt been a working farm for some time , B and B, plus holiday cottage and livery business, he is doing away with the livery and expanding the holiday side with caravan pitches and glamping pods.
In other words, your son hasn't actually bought a farm; he's bought a onetime farm, now lee-zher ree-sorce, with a view to fully exploiting its lee-zher ree-sorce potential. Sounds like a good move to me.

Farming is a hard dollar, and getting harder. Farmer v Tesco is only going to have one winner. Meanwhile I suspect there'll be more of a move toward holidaying 'at home' as the environmental impact of flying makes it ever less acceptable to brag about popping over to Rome for the weekend. People showed during covid that they were prepared to pay eye-watering amounts for even basic accommodation in a decent location.

In short, over the next 20 years or so there's going to be money in them thar hills, but yer man's done well to go for glamping pods rather than growing food.

Top Bottom