my son bought a farm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good for him, he's obviously got a bit of get up and go.
I wish him every success. The country needs more like him.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My lad paid us a visit today to show us the plans for the farm he has bought in mold ,north Wales, they had an offer accepted on a different one a while ago but buyer accepted a higher offer on the day they was due to sign contracts, anyhow this sale has now gone ahead.

the plans for the farm include, big extension to the farm house, 12 glamping pods, 6 static caravan pitches and 12 touring caravan pitches and a field for camping , all associated toilet blocks , shower blocks and a coffee shop, they have a hell of a lot of work to do in the coming months , today he is on his way to preston to visit a company that manufacture the glamping pods, I am glad the purchase went without hiccup this time , he has the drive to make it work but he has a hell of a lot of work to do.
I hope he has a very understanding bank manager as it sounds like he will need it before he can see a return on it.
I wish him all the best nevertheless.

25 miles from here but a bit of a big finish for me, might have to pad the ride out (as in flatten!!).
He needs to sell savoury as well as sweet stuff, I know many peculiar cyclists that wont just eat cake?
Oh and no silly prices like £4.50 for a slice of ordinary toast and some cheap beans.

Hardly any regs for a 5 caravan site, basically water and bog dump (ideally power) but that might get him going sooner.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There is no money to be made in farming

Several of my farming cousins would give you an argument, as would thousands of farmers up and down the country.

Smallholdings or anything rented can be difficult, but there's still good money in farming with one simple proviso - you know what you are doing.

Equally, there's very good money in caravan parks and associated businesses.

Sounds like the OP's lad is well able to make a go of it.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
25 miles from here but a bit of a big finish for me, might have to pad the ride out (as in flatten!!).
He needs to sell savoury as well as sweet stuff, I know many peculiar cyclists that wont just eat cake?
Oh and no silly prices like £4.50 for a slice of ordinary toast and some cheap beans.

Hardly any regs for a 5 caravan site, basically water and bog dump (ideally power) but that might get him going sooner.

As i say he already sells savoury at his current place , a few members from cyclechat have been , and given good feedback

do you live nearby
Not that close but it's well within the weekend ride distance. Always on the lookout for a new café.

Several of my farming cousins would give you an argument, as would thousands of farmers up and down the country.

Smallholdings or anything rented can be difficult, but there's still good money in farming with one simple proviso - you know what you are doing.

Equally, there's very good money in caravan parks and associated businesses.

Sounds like the OP's lad is well able to make a go of it.

I think a lot depends on how much effort you put in, and what you decide to grow. Personally, I'm investing my efforts into growing old disgracefully, and I seem to be quite successful so far. :becool:

Top Bottom