My Thoughts on Commuting with Marathon Plus Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I blew a rear tyre on my commute bike a month ago. It was a fast Schwalbe touring tyre, can't remember the name.
Rutland Cycles closest replacement was an M+

I hate it!!! Like you say in the OP @Tenacious Sloth it feels dead. There is zero bounce in it. As it cost a bloody fortune I will leave it on over the winter.

It'll be a fine day when it's off!

I think the m+ is a bit like marmite you either love them or you don't! I think because I've used these for so long I've become use to them. More than likely could use different tyres which offered a better ride but these have been so reliable I'm happy with them

Slick

Guru
To be honest, I may have dreaded the thought of trying a repair at the side of the road on a wet Monday morning in January at one time, but now I have the proper tools and equipment, it really doesn't matter and I'd be well on my way within 5 or 10 minutes should the worst happen. Each to his own though.

CharlesF

Guru
I used to have M+ on my Ridgeback hybrid, never had a puncture but I found they gave zero feedback which made them feel unsafe in the wet. I now use Conti Gatorskins, no punctures and reassuring feedback in all weathers. Definitely an improvement for me.

gilespargiter

Veteran
As others have found, I find them pretty much bomb proof and last a phenominal mileage. I have had punctures in them several times - direct hits from a well seasoned thorn or well positioned pyramid of flint shard or even a wire brush bristle from a road sweeper are pretty much impossible to stop though. I have used the 26X1.5 version on the rear and like sized "city slick" puncture protected tyre on the front of my "mule" - long distance tourer/ideal commuter, shopping bike for ages.
However interestingly not long before this snow a few days back, due to wishing to traverse longer distances over these Welsh hills off road and regarding my mountain bike as no more than a "shopping trolley" totally unsuitable for longer distances. I chucked them off, I now have a pair of much more grippy very cheap (think skip) X/MTB type tyres 26 X 2". As I have discovered in the past these very cheap, old fashioned, canvas carcassed tyres, although more prone to punctures are very easy to remove and fit with no tools except a pump, are far lighter, more lively, faster, more secure to ride on and as flexible as any top shelf tyres and who cares if they don't last long? I'am finding them much more fun and far more suitable in the present mud and snow, even if I do go down the road sounding like a Landrover!

I am running M+ as well and agree with them being heavy. I don’t like them in the wet but I am running them at 90psi, size 32 I think.

However I have punctured on them more than once and the last time was a 2-3mm square piece of glass. Lucky it was about a mile from home so I just pumped and cycled several times to get home.

I seem to have been quite unlucky as I have a punctured about 4-5 times this year mostly in the wet. They are not worn right down but there is only around 1-2mm of tread left.

Given the headache they are to take on and off I do wonder is I should run some 32-35 Durano plus instead.

They also seem to get cut up quite quickly.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I normally run Conti Gatorskins / Gp4s on my commute and started getting punctures, so thought I'd try M+ for the winter. Well apart from absolutely killing the ride stone dead and seeming to really affect the handling, the front tyre seems to behave, like its shaped like a tobelerone, it suddenly drops into the corner and feels like it is going to tuck underneath its self. If inflated to a decent pressure for good rolling, it's like riding on a hosepipe filled with concrete and to get a comfortable ride, once a bit of air is let out, it feels like you're riding thru treacle. Binned after one week, they maybe fine on an Ebike or fully loaded tourer , but on a sub 10kg bike. No thanks.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ran M+ years ago when I first started commuting, after puncture after puncture, bought 25c tyres as they would squeeze on the bike at the time. Slippery as an eel in the wet and no trust whatsoever at roundabouts. Still have them hanging up in the garage. They are not impenetrable but you would would have to be really unlucky. They have there place just not on any of my bikes ! Surprised nobody has mentioned running tubeless, it will be my next venture when I buy new wheels ? Seems to be the answer however still sceptical :unsure:

Colin_P

Guru
What about the Schwalbe Land Cruiser+? These seem to offer a decent level of p*ncture protection without being as heavy as the Marathons.

The Land Cruiser + are very good and also have a reflective band. I did get a lot of sidewall cracking on them though.

I'm currently running Smart Sam + which are in another league altogether. Really usuful for road and lightish off-road. No relfective band though and it is too early to tell how they are long term. In the Swalbe 1 to 7 puncture resistance chart they are a 6. I'm not sure how small they go or if they'd be suitable for a roady type bike, mine are 700x40's.

[edit] I've never run M+'s as they don't seem 'light' off road grippy enough. Although there are now several flavours which look like they have more "nobbles".

I am not sure if it’s winter or riding a tourer but I am about 2-3 mph slower than the lighter bike and summer commuting

Top Bottom