My Thoughts on Commuting with Marathon Plus Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
None of the Marathons have much grip in the wet and that's after the 500 or so miles it takes to get em 'ridden in' and I've had 3 different types (the original Kevlar, the M+ and the 'Greenguard' versions) but it's 'horses for courses' with them. If I only had a single bike I probably wouldn't fit them but with the luxury of several bikes to choose from I've always got one with em on.

Southside Mike

Probably depends on what sort of commute you have. Mine is entirely urban so repairing a puncture under street lights rather more appealing than on an unlit country road.

I use Conti GP 4 seasons and get the occasional puncture but they are easy to get on and off. Valves do fail and I've never fancied having to change M+ tyres on the road.

To be honest, grip in the wet is more important to me. Contrary to popular belief, we do get quite a bit of rain here in the West of Scotland.

Johnno260

Veteran
I ran Gators on my Merida Ride during last winter and hated them, they were about as puncture proof as a wet paper bag, and the compound was too hard so grip was a major issue.

I switched to some Rubino Pros and the above issues went away.

Reactions: mjr

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I would have sworn by M+ at one time, but then I had punctures on them in quick succession, one of which was a smallish piece of glass that sliced through a 6 week old M+. The photos show the damaged tyre.

I was probably just unlucky, but the series of punctures made me well cheesed off with them, and when people claim they are bombproof I have to say, in my best pantomime voice, "Oh no they're not", so I decided to try something else.

On my hybrid which I use for work and general getting around town, I use Specialized All Condition Armadillos - not bad at all, but one has a 5 mm cut on it after about 1500 miles, but no punctures yet. I have just fitted my winter road bike with Continental GP 4 seasons following recommendations on another CC thread and a friend, and I intend putting the Gatorskins I previously had on that bike, on my summer bike.

M+1.jpg

M+2.jpg

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I would have sworn by M+ at one time, but then I had punctures on them in quick succession, one of which was a smallish piece of glass that sliced through a 6 week old M+. The photos show the damaged tyre.

I was probably just unlucky, but the series of punctures made me well cheesed off with them, and when people claim they are bombproof I have to say, in my best pantomime voice, "Oh no they're not", so I decided to try something else.

On my hybrid which I use for work and general getting around town, I use Specialized All Condition Armadillos - not bad at all, but one has a 5 mm cut on it after about 1500 miles, but no punctures yet. I have just fitted my winter road bike with Continental GP 4 seasons following recommendations on another CC thread and a friend, and I intend putting the Gatorskins I previously had on that bike, on my summer bike.

View attachment 387653

View attachment 387654

It's not even like it's gone between the tread on the tire it's sliced straight through! That piece of glass really had it in for you :eek: I've been lucky with my M+ so far but like you say goes to show no tire is 100% puncture proof

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would have sworn by M+ at one time, but then I had punctures on them in quick succession, one of which was a smallish piece of glass that sliced through a 6 week old M+. The photos show the damaged tyre. [...]

View attachment 387654
1. It looks like the two halves of the mould weren't correctly aligned when they made that tyre so I wonder how else it might have failed QA. Bit of a Friday afternoon tyre, methinks.

2. The <<<<< pattern is a previous generation of M+ anyway. The current ~~~~~ ones are even tougher (which is both good and bad...). I think the previous were HS 368 or 348, whereas the current is HS 420 or 440.

The Continental Contact 2 has been recommended by a rider, at work
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continental-contact-2-rigid-tyre/#pid=7547
What have you done to upset them? ;)

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Got a Kinesis Racelight T2 as my utility bike and used it for commuting for several years. I switched to M+ tyres after a particularly stressful, cold, dark, early morning visitation where I'd forgotten my glasses so couldn't see to fix the tube. Apart from one incident where a nail got through the sidewall tight up against the rim they have been excellent. I keep them at 110psi at the back and 100psi at the front cos I'm a bit of a heavyweight. That means they're not the most comfortable tyres but I use them off road a fair bit and would risk pinch p*nct*res if I had them any lower.
Fair enough, they are heavy and they are numb but I look upon my time on the Racelight as resistance training that will have me flying when I get on one of my other bikes.
They don't ever look like wearing out but if they do I'll be buying some more.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
1. It looks like the two halves of the mould weren't correctly aligned when they made that tyre so I wonder how else it might have failed QA. Bit of a Friday afternoon tyre, methinks.

2. The <<<<< pattern is a previous generation of M+ anyway. The current ~~~~~ ones are even tougher (which is both good and bad...). I think the previous were HS 368 or 348, whereas the current is HS 420 or 440.

What have you done to upset them? ;)

Yes your right I've got a new pair of M+ on mine and it is a different pattern to the others.

my Pacenti rims

Which rims do you have @Tenacious Sloth and are you happy with them?

Tyres-wise I'm really happy with my Duranos for endurance and puncture protection. You could try the next level up (Durano Plus) which are supposed to be the toughest road tyre on the market and not far behind M+ for protection? I imagine they'll still feel a little lifeless compared to your Michelins, but reckon they'd provide a quicker ride than the M+.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Which rims do you have @Tenacious Sloth and are you happy with them?

Tyres-wise I'm really happy with my Duranos for endurance and puncture protection. You could try the next level up (Durano Plus) which are supposed to be the toughest road tyre on the market and not far behind M+ for protection? I imagine they'll still feel a little lifeless compared to your Michelins, but reckon they'd provide a quicker ride than the M+.

I have a couple of wheels built on SL25 rims and one on a Pacenti Forza Asymmetric rim. Both rims are excellent and are tubeless ready if that floats your boat.

I prefer the Forza rim due to the Asymmetrical spoke hole drilling which gives a much more even tension between the DS and NDS Spokes.

Graham

Thanks. Glad to hear you're happy with them.

I'm having some wheels built with SL25s. I would have gone for the Forzas but I'd already bought the spokes by the time I realised they were coming out, and with them being asymmetric I think they'll require a different spoke length.

The only time the M+ feel better is when the roads are damp (less rolling resistance I guess). However practically all my m+ punctures have been in damp/ wet.

Not sure what to do when they wear out tbh

Top Bottom