My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThompsonCrowley

Excellent information. Thanks for posting this! I did a trip in France a couple of years ago, entering through Belgium on La Meuse (have you ever done this route? It is beautiful and very easy to follow). We finished our trip in Charleville, but now I am driving through France to Spain, your writing has been very useful. Can't wait to get hold of a bike out here and start exploring!
All the best,
Tom

Goggs

Guru
What a fantastic thread. Many thanks to the OP & all subsequent contributors. My wife & I have just moved to France 5 weeks ago & I'm waiting for my new bike to be delivered as I type. I'm really looking forward to biking along the wee country single-track roads around here (Sain-Remy-de-Provence).

I've only read the first few pages of this thread so far but does anyone know where I can find an explanation of the French Highway Code in English? That would be very handy.

Ive cycled on and off for the last 25 years hundreds of km on more French canal towpaths than I can remember and never been challenged - I think unless it is specifically not allowed by a sign or more probably a gate - Ive never seen either - then it is OK

Goggs

Guru
Do any of the francophiles know how I would go about asking a mechanic in France to true my wheels? I'm guessing they have a different term but I have no idea what it might be. He might understand what I mean anyway but it would be nice to get it right in the first place.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Here's a translation of a Sheldon Brown article on wheel truing. On the main site there's also a potentially useful English / French cycle dictionary.
Hope this helps.

PS I'm sure I came across a more comprehensive dictionary somewhere. I'll try to relocate it tomorrow if I remember.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Do any of the francophiles know how I would go about asking a mechanic in France to true my wheels? I'm guessing they have a different term but I have no idea what it might be. He might understand what I mean anyway but it would be nice to get it right in the first place.
I took mine into cycle shop and mimed (wonky) as soon as he turned wheel he could see what i meant x

Alex H

Legendary Member

"Dévoilage de roue"

This is a link to French Decathlon's workshop and the services it offers for cycles http://www.decathlon.fr/atelier-cycle-prestation.html#cycle-presta

(Just put the words into your favourite online translator and Robert is your Father's brother :smile:)

Goggs

Guru
Here's a translation of a Sheldon Brown article on wheel truing. On the main site there's also a potentially useful English / French cycle dictionary.
Hope this helps.

PS I'm sure I came across a more comprehensive dictionary somewhere. I'll try to relocate it tomorrow if I remember.

Excellent, thanks. I'm going to use that dictionary.

I took mine into cycle shop and mimed (wonky) as soon as he turned wheel he could see what i meant x

Haha, that's what I'm trying to avoid. If it comes to that though..

Ha ha! Me too, in Tarbes. My French is awful, just embarrassing. I said hello, obviously, then just showed him where the wheel was rubbing.

1343050538_b91f82d278_b.jpg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I must admit that even I, sometimes need a dictionary cos I have been over here for so long that I tend to forget some of my French. Sad really.

Top Bottom