My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
If you want to break the ice, you could always ask Where is Brian?.

It's even better when your name is Brian.
Good one! Bet you hear that all the time! Bet you no-one knows what we're talking about, though!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just want to add, when it comes to roundabouts in France, it is not necessary to signal as you enter it but you must signal your way out. Quite a difference from the UK, so be aware.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just want to add, when it comes to roundabouts in France, it is not necessary to signal as you enter it but you must signal your way out. Quite a difference from the UK, so be aware.

robing

Über Member
Does anyone know how you charge your phone etc in french campsites? My experience is fairly limited but I thought you had to pay extra for electricity and then you needed one of those caravan adaptors. Are there sockets in the toilet blocks? It was a doddle in Spain as there were plenty of normal sockets on campsites for no extra charge.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Does anyone know how you charge your phone etc in french campsites? My experience is fairly limited but I thought you had to pay extra for electricity and then you needed one of those caravan adaptors. Are there sockets in the toilet blocks? It was a doddle in Spain as there were plenty of normal sockets on campsites for no extra charge.
It depends on the campsite I guess. I've never found it difficult to charge my phone in campsites, France or elsewhere. What I usually do is bring a cheap external battery that holds enough juice to recharge my phone twice. I just leave that to charge in the toilets, then charge my phone with it. I can leave the battery alone in the showers (I try to hide it) while I get on with putting up my tent, making meals, showering etc. If someone steals the external battery it's not too important.

Last edited:

robing

Über Member
[QUOTE 4155452, member: 259"]There are almost always shaver sockets in the toilet blocks.[/QUOTE]
Are they the same as the regular continental socket?

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

I've never had any trouble with my French sockets anywhere else in Europe - including Sweden. The only place where I do have problems is the UK!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Have any of you used a foreign (e.g. UK or Australian) powerboard and used a power converter to plug it into a French socket? Does this cause any problems? I want to bring an Australian 4-socket powerboard + Australian/French power adaptors with me in September, and just want to be aware of any caveats on using it.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Have any of you used a foreign (e.g. UK or Australian) powerboard and used a power converter to plug it into a French socket? Does this cause any problems? I want to bring an Australian 4-socket powerboard + Australian/French power adaptors with me in September, and just want to be aware of any caveats on using it.
Sorry. Can't advise on this.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Presumably you don't mean one of them there powerboards a.k.a. hoverboards that are the current craze with de yoof, but what Brits would call an extension lead, i.e one plug, maybe a metre or two of flex, and a plastic box with 4 sockets? Shouldn't be a problem so long as your adaptor carries an earth connection. French wiring regs are very different from UK ones in that ring mains are illegal; instead a radial wiring system is used, with a limit on the number of sockets on any one leg of cable, so technically you could be in breach of the regs if the wiring is already near the limit. Practically, you'd be extremely unfortunate if one of the enforcers suddenly turned up at your door and demanded admittance. Just don't try using 4 kettles or electric heaters at once! AFAIK Aussie power supply is 230 volts or thereabouts, rather than the US 110, so should be OK on that score too.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Please can someone tell French drivers this? They seem to like to keep you guessing, in my experience...

breakingaway

Great read! Now I got some why France is called cycling friendly country. This post has given me a sigh of relief as next month I’m going on French Alps cycling tours. Now I’ll plan accordingly.

Top Bottom