My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fudgepanda

I don't know if anyone has come across this association before and the properties tend to occupy the opposite end of the price spectrum from the likes of Formul 1 or Campanille with room rates from around 75 Euros up to 120 per room per night including (in most cases) breakfast for two. Their properties extend from the Pas de Calais (ish) over to Britanny and from there down the country from the west side of Paris as far as La Rochelle. We've stayed in a couple of properties and were very pressed by the accomodation especially as most houses have a maximum of 5 rooms available, some as few as one or two, so although it costs a lot more than the majority of small hotels, you do feel as if you're house guests of the owner. Quite a few owners are Vimcomte and Vicomtesse.

http://www.bienvenueauchateau.com/index.php?lang=2

Rex

Regular
Gites de France/Chambres d'Hote website. Over the years Iv'e been lucky enough to travel over lots of France . A work collegue went with me a couple of years ago and his request was to stay in B & B so that he could meet some French people . As I had never done this, mostly staying wit friends or in motels I was a little concerned as to how things would turn out . We stayed near St Omer,also in the Champagne region and the next year in Normandy . Each Chambres d'Hote(B & B) was absolutely superb. I'm fussy and find hotels most often don't come up to scratch . Each one of these establishments was beautifluy decorated and extremely clean . The bath/shower rooms seemed to be newly installed . The owners were charming and helpful and supplied an excellent French breakfast, muesli, cerial, fresh fruit, of course lovely bread,sometimes ham or cheese etc etc , in a lovely large breakfast room. We thought we had just 'stuck lucky' at the first place but as they all turned out to be of a very high standard I don't think this could really be so . Don't expect bacon and eggs though !

Licramite

Über Member
Hi
I,m looking to do the normandy coast, heytesbury to poole, cherbourg to caen, southhampton to home
and was wondering whats the law on cyclists in france as in kit.
Helmet - compulsory or not
bell - ?
lights - even if its daylight -?
breathilizer kit - ?
red warning triangle - ?
high viz jacket -?
first aid kit -?
insurance ?

thier seams to be no laws in britain (that are enforced) thought the french might have some.
annoyingly when I lived in germany I didn,t cycle so I don,t know whats compulsory thier either.

Licramite

Über Member
  • thanks - all sound eminently sound rules.

• To be roadworthy, bicycles must be equipped with a bell, fully functioning brakes, and after dark with reflectors and front and rear lights.
  • The wearing of cyclists' crash helmets is not compulsory in France, but is strongly advised. Cyclists must also wear a high-visibility waistcoat if cycling after dark outside urban areas.
  • In urban streets, cyclists must use the marked cycle lanes where these exist.
  • Cyclists must obey traffic signs and signals in the same way as other road users; this includes respecting "no entry", "one way" and "stop" signs.
  • Like cars, cyclists riding behind each other on a roadway are obliged to keep a safe distance between them. Cyclists may ride two-abreast, but only during hours of daylight. At night, single file cycling is obligatory.
  • Drinking and cycling: cyclists are subject to the same alcohol limits as other road users. Cycling while under the influence of alcohol can lead to a hefty fine, the impounding of the cycle, and/or the withdrawal of the cyclist's vehicle licence if he/she has one.

It may have been mentioned before, I've not read all replies. When I toured the south of France my tent pegs weren't man enough to break into the sun baked rocky soil. I ended up buying 6" nails with penny washers which worked brilliantly.

zomarzi

Veteran
Wouldn't it be great to have someone like you JD to give brief practical advice tips for most european countrys we cyclists vist much in the same way as you've done here, bravo amigo.

mark2096

I've cycled in the UK, France, Italy, Hungary, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Canada and the U.S. and would agree that France probably tops the list, although Italy is nice and the Danube / Donau cycle paths in Germany and Austria are very hard to beat (at least for casual tripping). What I have done to share the experience is post the maps of my route, some pictures taken along the way and some descriptive info at www.mycycletour.com . It's a fairly new site, and there's not much on France but it's a good place to share info. There's even a bulletin board for each route created.

nomdeplume

Having lived, cycled and driven in France for 18 years, I would like to say a few words in support of French drivers; they have much improved in recent years. This is because the government, appalled by the slaughter on the roads has enforced speed limits, installed speed cameras, and traffic-calming measures. For example, the use of a GPS with a speed camera detector is illegal, and drink-driving limits are lower than the UK.
Cycling is no problem provided you make yourself visible and wear a helmet.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Having lived, cycled and driven in France for 18 years, I would like to say a few words in support of French drivers; they have much improved in recent years. This is because the government, appalled by the slaughter on the roads has enforced speed limits, installed speed cameras, and traffic-calming measures. For example, the use of a GPS with a speed camera detector is illegal, and drink-driving limits are lower than the UK.
Cycling is no problem provided you make yourself visible and wear a helmet.

Whoops! When did that become compulsory? Looks like France has just joined Spain on the short list of countries I won't be revisiting for cycling holidays! :angry: Shame, 'cos I really enjoyed the last three visits, so much that I was seriously considering emigrating at some point.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Whoops! When did that become compulsory? Looks like France has just joined Spain on the short list of countries I won't be revisiting for cycling holidays! :angry: Shame, 'cos I really enjoyed the last three visits, so much that I was seriously considering emigrating at some point.

Well, you can put France right back on your list. Nondeplume never said it was compulsory in his post, just advisable. It is compulsory to have a bell, which is rarely enforced (but very necessary if you're cycling in Paris) and it's also compulsory to wear reflective clothing in the dark (but a lot of people don't even bother to have lights).

dragon72

Guru
Another defense of French drivers from me.
After approximately 10,000kms ridden over various summer and easter tours in France, I haven't had a single incident with a car. On the rare occasion a car has passed me too close for comfort, the car in question has invariably sported a white sticker with the letters GB on it. Funny, because you'd think, what with the steering wheel being on the gutter side of the car in France, that they'd judge the space a bit better...

dragon72

Guru
When using a French computer, and you're only familiar with QWERTY keyboards, budget an extra 30 mins to send a short email while you're hunting for characters on their AZERTY keyboards.

Top Bottom