My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Have any of you seen this great map? It shows how many deaths there were per 100 000 people in 2010. I discovered it after watching Click. It shows that on a European scale, France is still one of the countries with the worst records for road safety: 6.4 deaths per year, as against 3.7 in the UK and 5.4 in Spain. However, on the world scale, France doesn't do too bad: 41.7% in the Dominican Republic (!) and a surprising 11.4% in the US. The map also breaks down these statistics. For example, we learn that of the French deaths 3.7% were cyclists and 12.2% were pedestrians whilst in the UK the figures are 5.8 and 12.8 respectively. Of course, these statistics don't actually explain the cause. For example, the fact that only 12% of the deaths recorded in the US were pedestrians might be accounted for by the fact that no-one walks anywhere in the US!
In 1999 I moved there and the UK was 6.6 and France was 14.4. Attitudes to booze are still a problem, but there has been a massive improvement

Scary stuff, Came across maybe a km of very loose surface dressing maybe 5km up the Col de Sarenne on approx 8% grade. Hope this is not going to become a common occurrence, those descending onto it where not happy bunnies.Come to think of it ascending wasn't exactly fun due to wheel spin, ended up walking :angry:

Manu3172

Regular
Hi Jimmy,

Great post. All what you wrote is very true.
About agressive drivers, it gets worse when going southward :-(

nomdeplume

A new cycle route is France is to be inaugurated in 2014 between Ouistreham and La Rochelle, to be called 'Veloroute 43', 603 km. Apparently cyclists contribute 70€/day to the local economy against 60€ for motorists.
Nothing on the Web yet.

"on some lines you must take the bicycle to pieces and put it in a bicycle bag. This is obviously no use to touring cyclists who can't cart a bulky bike bag around with them"

You could buy a lightweight 'Housse' bag to get around this problem.

http://www.cyclehoussebags.co.uk

nomdeplume

If you want to take your bike on the TGV train you must remove the wheels and use a 'housse'. If you are touring you have to carry the housse which is a pain in the housse as it is fairly bulky. Using the TER train is not a problem as hooks are provided to hang the bike though apparently the newer TER trains do not have this facility

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Some brief observations on this topic. Tonight I completed a tour from St Malo to Bordeaux via La Loire and Dordogne.

Throughout the trip people were incredibly helpful and kind.

In just under 700 miles I saw less than 10 serious potholes. At no point in suburban or rural areas did I come across "priorite a droit". In fact in 35 years of visiting France I've probably only seen it 5-6 times and those would have been many years ago.

Carry plenty of food and water and top up at every opportunity. Rural France can be VERY rural and not every village will have a shop or if it does the opening hours are for locals not touring cyclists.

France can be very hot. Some days I was drinking 6-7 litres of fluids. Peanuts helped a lot with the salt loss.

I found accommodation difficult to get some nights - I B&B not camp. So be sure the place you are heading for is open and available.

If like me you usually unclip the left foot first, learn to unclip the right first as you'll need to.

Crankarm

Guru
"on some lines you must take the bicycle to pieces and put it in a bicycle bag. This is obviously no use to touring cyclists who can't cart a bulky bike bag around with them"

You could buy a lightweight 'Housse' bag to get around this problem.

http://www.cyclehoussebags.co.uk

They look as if they could get around the problem until Eurostar/SNCF decide they want to prohibit bikes altogether. £69.99 is a tad steep for a sheath. My Brompton didn't cause any problems when I went to Biarritz on the Eurostar and the TGV in 2004.

Some brief observations on this topic. Tonight I completed a tour from St Malo to Bordeaux via La Loire and Dordogne.

Throughout the trip people were incredibly helpful and kind.

In just under 700 miles I saw less than 10 serious potholes. At no point in suburban or rural areas did I come across "priorite a droit". In fact in 35 years of visiting France I've probably only seen it 5-6 times and those would have been many years ago.

Carry plenty of food and water and top up at every opportunity. Rural France can be VERY rural and not every village will have a shop or if it does the opening hours are for locals not touring cyclists.

France can be very hot. Some days I was drinking 6-7 litres of fluids. Peanuts helped a lot with the salt loss.

I found accommodation difficult to get some nights - I B&B not camp. So be sure the place you are heading for is open and available.

If like me you usually unclip the left foot first, learn to unclip the right first as you'll need to.
What do you mean by you did not come across it? It exists everywhere, particularly in rural areas. Quite simply if there is a junction without road markings then you have to give priority to the rights. I know two Brits who have written off their vehicles as they were unaware of this.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
At no point in suburban or rural areas did I come across "priorite a droit". In fact in 35 years of visiting France I've probably only seen it 5-6 times and those would have been many years ago

I'm sorry, but I'm really going to have to take issue with this. I would suggest that it's more a case that you've only noticed priorité à droite 5-6 times rather than actually not come across it. I want this to be very clear - it's one of the reason's why I mentioned it in my post: priorité à droite is everywhere in France and it is very often not signalled. Over the past 16 years I've lived in Le Havre, Nantes, Paris, Lyon, and now near Amiens, I've also travelled extensively in France and, although it varies from region to region, you cannot escape it. Probably you've been doing what most Brits do, what I did for a long time: sail past them blissfully without even realizing you've not respected the rules, or wondered why someone has pulled out in front of you (but it's true that most French drivers are very respectful to cyclists so this doesn't tend to happen - but it's happened to me a few times when I hadn't realised I'd grillé une priorité à droite.)
I'd lived here for about two years before I really did start to understand the extent of this rule. I'd known about the marked priorité à droite but rarely came across them. What took me so long to realise/accept was that this is a fundamental rule on French roads and applies at every junction unless marked otherwise. And accidents do happen - often. Someone I know was recently involved in a car crash when a vehicle suddenly came in from the right and it was claimed to be his fault because it was priorité à droite. The fact that he didn't even see the road until it was too late was of no difference.
Some places are more fond of the rule than others. I think it's less common in Britanny - but in the Paris area, for example, it's everywhere (and here you'll still find some roundabouts that are priorité à droite, which is thankfully rare elsewhere these days). Also, it's true that this is a common rule that applies in most of Europe not just in France. However, it is particularly frequent here and doesn't seem to be going away (in one of the villages near where I live a road has very recently been changed to become priorité à droite.)
Just to be even more clear, here are some examples from around my area. It's literally everywhere.

This is the typical scenario:

https://www.google.fr/maps/@49.4478...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swCvpGoo3jU92o2gX3If-IQ!2e0

This one here is marked. It never used to be. Probably there were loads of accidents at this point:

https://www.google.fr/maps/@49.3194...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sNe-6_dOz8krQoqPeoQ09Mg!2e0

Usually it's more like this. This junction is only metres from the other, going the other way (obviously you'd be on the other side of the road). Notice there's no line on the road branching off from the road you're on here - that means priorité à droite. Still, at least you can see this one ... often that's not the case until you've gone past it:

https://www.google.fr/maps/@49.3188...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ssejMmxCgFgUYJ_YGs2XQug!2e0

Top Bottom