My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm off to Normandy next week and the GLW has let me stick the bike on the back of the car - so I was just planning a route and on checking the junctions, have found a "Sauf Riverains" sign. Am I right in thinking this is indicating that the road is for local folks' access only? And would I get the bums rush if I tried riding up it (it goes by the delightful name of Rue D'enfer...)

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
"Sauf riverains" means locals only. I wonder if the Rue d'enfer leads to the same place that I cycled past recently:

wpid-img_20120730_164402.jpg

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Sorry, I don't really understand your question. Where are you cycling from? Where is this Rue D'Enfer? I've found one near Pont l'Eveque - is it that? If so, I see no reason why you can't cycle there - although it looks a bit steep in places.

Sorry, I don't really understand your question. Where are you cycling from? Where is this Rue D'Enfer? I've found one near Pont l'Eveque - is it that? If so, I see no reason why you can't cycle there - although it looks a bit steep in places.
doing a loop out from where we're staying down the road from Pl'E, but yes, didn't know if I'd get an irate gendarme coming after me for going through what looks like a no entry.

Does look a wee bit fierce in places though.....

yello

That ^^^^

I've cycled down a few. With the exception of them possibly being a dead end, there oughtn't be a problem.

Rex

Regular
Iv'e just spent a non cycling holiday in Audresselles on the D940 . Not a very long trip but what a great road, Calais to Boulogne it must be for cyclists . As is usual plenty of good food stops in the villages along this coastal route . Couple of mini mountain passes . Iv'e driven all over France in the last 40 yrs and must say in general they are more courtious and patient than my local motorists. Even on the lovely Island of Corsica . Ordered my new bike and hopefully be over there on the D940 when the ferry prices drop to Autumn prices . Several nice inland trips from this route also notably Ambletuese to Bazinghen with it's nice hilltop estaminet ( pub/cafe)

Rex

Regular
Forgot to add, yes learn a little French . I went to local evening classes and 'get by' now . Politeness very important to French, Bonjoir,Merci etc .

wintonbina

Über Member
I agree with most of the above. The French are, in the whole very respectful of cyclists, their roads are brilliant and they have the best cake shops in the world! And yes, a few words go down very well in cafes, bars & shops

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Iv'e just spent a non cycling holiday in Audresselles on the D940 . Not a very long trip but what a great road, Calais to Boulogne it must be for cyclists . As is usual plenty of good food stops in the villages along this coastal route . Couple of mini mountain passes . Iv'e driven all over France in the last 40 yrs and must say in general they are more courtious and patient than my local motorists. Even on the lovely Island of Corsica . Ordered my new bike and hopefully be over there on the D940 when the ferry prices drop to Autumn prices . Several nice inland trips from this route also notably Ambletuese to Bazinghen with it's nice hilltop estaminet ( pub/cafe)

I've been thinking about taking my family for a small cycling tour along the north coast. I might try this.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yes, it's a pleasant road once you get out of Calais. I did it for the 3rd stage of the TdF at Boulogne this year. So did several hundred other Brit cyclists and it really had the air of an invasion. I found the hills, where the road cuts inland at capes surprisingly hard work in a strongish headwind but I don't think they actually rise more than 100m.

Rex

Regular
In my opinion the Cote d'Opal a highly underrated area . Even Calais now being smartened up and lot's of free car parking . Yes,It can be a bit windblown.

Top Bottom