My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I've cycled many times in France and toured 1000's of miles there and never once come across priorite a droite.

Not sure what you mean by 'come across' it Rich. It's the default situation, it exists unstated! It's everywhere! You'll see signs where it no longer applies and then, further up the road, where it's been re-instated. Or it can be overridden at marked junctions (give way or stop signs or markings) but at every single unmarked junction you'll have ridden through, it applies.

Sometimes (perhaps even mostly), you'll see unmarked junctions signed in advance (a simple black cross sign, lines of equal weight) to make you aware of the junction. It also tells you that priorite a droite will apply.

In practice (and this is perhaps your point), it's not an issue since the majority of such junctions that the cycle tourist will come across are invariably clear, such is the lack of traffic. But all the more reason, perhaps, to be aware of the law. You may think you're on the 'major' of 2 intersecting roads and therefore assume priority, only for the car on your right to sail right through the junction! It pays to be aware.

Equally important, particularly in rural areas, is to be aware that many of the older drivers (or those that have never come across anything other than priorite a driote) will sail through marked junctions too, regardless of giveway or stop signs!

Believe me, priorite a driote exists! And you'll soon become aware of it (hopefully not painfully) when you've made an incorrect assumption!

yello

Something else I've just thought of, so ingrained is priorite a droite in French driving habits that it even governs interactions in such places as car parks! As I say, it's the default, insidious, unseen, stealth like. Be afraid aware :laugh:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes, Yello, it was badly phrased! I'm aware that it exists, and I'm aware of the signage but I meant to say that it has never been an issue and I have toured and ridden in France a lot, although nowhere near as much as you and Jimmy.

My point is, have I just been lucky or is it less of a problem in practice than has been suggested? Genuine question!

I'd not want a nervous prospective tourist to be put off.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Hi Rich

My answer to your question is that you've been lucky. The chances of a cyclist having an accident because of the priorité à droite rule is low; the chances of a motorist having an accident because of the law is low too - but obviously higher. But the reason why it's low is because on roads where it really could be dangerous, most people who have the priority would only pull out very cautiously. This doesn't mean to say these roads present no potential danger - they do, and anyone who goes cycling in France should be aware of this danger and exercise extreme caution when (s)he sees a road coming from the right. After 14 years' living in France (since 1997), I have never actually had an accident on French roads, but I have come very close to being hit by a car coming from the right a couple of times. I have been lucky too!
This rule shouldn't make people hesitate about cycling here though. As I said in my guide, the French roads really are very safe for cyclists - but that's mostly because French drivers are very respectful towards us, and not because the rules of the road in France are particularly favourable to cyclists (they're not!). I feel safer cycling in France than in England - despite the priorité à droite rule.

wakou

Über Member
Try Charles de Gaulle - Étoile (Arc de Triomphe). You will quickly realise what 'La priorité à droite' is all about. It took me a few months of taking my truck weekly to Paris to work out that the 'safest' way is to hit the roundabout at about 30mph with eyes shut, and to never use the inside lane as you will end up on it for the rest of the day.

The same 'give way to the right' applies on many roads in Norway, as well.

Whilst having to be more alert to this ridiculous rule (cars entering a main road from a minor can seemingly just pull out from a slow start into the path of one moving at 30-40 mph) as a driver, this doesn't present such a problem as a cyclist per se.

But as a cyclist entering the main road with the right of way, many cars don't slow down, or cede the right of way as they consider you you to only be a cyclist and bereft of the rights as another road user.

johnny mcgurk

I used to think that all Frenchmen approached a junction in the following manner. Examine type of junction, check signpost and then assume ' priorite a moi'. Bbut having lived here for a while I now find them incredibly courteous to all cyclists. They leave room when overtaking, they never overtake on blind bends or hills and generally respect cyclists much more than in most other countries.I have also found that priorite a droite is much less prevelant on the larger roads than it used to be. It still exists on many back roads but, by their nature these roads have much less traffic. So whilst there is still a need for caution, it should not deter anyone from cycling in France. I moved here from West London and I know where I would rather ride a bike.

johnny mcgurk

wakou said:
Try Charles de Gaulle - Étoile (Arc de Triomphe). You will quickly realise what 'La priorité à droite' is all about. It took me a few months of taking my truck weekly to Paris to work out that the 'safest' way is to hit the roundabout at about 30mph with eyes shut, and to never use the inside lane as you will end up on it for the rest of the day.

I used to drive across etoile on my way to work many years ago. I learnt that the only way to approach it was never to look straight ahead, always look to the right and never show any sign of weakness.

yello

My point is, have I just been lucky or is it less of a problem in practice than has been suggested? Genuine question!

Without disagreeing with either Johnny or Doug (who are taking the question a different way), I personally would say it's actually less of a problem in practice. It's definitely a law to be aware of, and there is obviously a chance of being caught out by it, but it's not really something that will rear it's head on a continual basis.

Most city and town junctions are clearly controlled with either lights or stop/give way signs. In rural areas on the roads cyclotourists are likely to take, you simply don't often encounter that much traffic. The chances of meeting something on an unmarked junction are small (as you have no doubt experienced). So, in practice, not an issue.

It's likely to be more of an issue on a T junction than on an cross roads. On the latter, people are more likely to slow down anyway regardless since they'll have a road to their right to check (that is why I like the rule!). T junctions are potentially more of a problem (as people above have said).

At a T junction, where a road joins your carriageway from your right, THEY have priority and you have to give way. It's truly weird. Often such junctions are controlled but you simply can't assume so... and you may not have any indication as you approach a junction as to whether it's controlled or not (I.e. you may not know if the traffic on the right has priority). It's safer to approach such junctions with caution. But, as you suggest, in practice it's not often you'll encounter a problem.

In the 4 years I've been here I'd say I've only had 3 incidents were it was an issue. And on one of those, the old fella sailed through a give way sign anyway! All were T junctions (one, a variation thereof; more of a Y junction!) and each were 'woah!' moments rather than major problems. Call that luck if you like.

Yes, Yello, it was badly phrased! I'm aware that it exists, and I'm aware of the signage but I meant to say that it has never been an issue and I have toured and ridden in France a lot, although nowhere near as much as you and Jimmy.

I'd not want a nervous prospective tourist to be put off.

I would agree with Rich - Ive cycled many thousands of km in France and whilst I have always been aware of the signage and the rule it has very rarely come into play and never caused me problems as a cyclist - before cycling in Paris many people had warned me to be on my guard against this "mad system" however in practice I only really noticed its existence cycling in some backstreets in the south of the city - I had read somewhere that the Pontes et Etudes were in the process of trying to phase it out???

My advice to anybody new to cycling in France would be to aware that it exists and be diligent but not too worry about it too much.

Just excercise the same caution that you would as a cyclist in any country at any junction - always assume that the hierarchy of "Im bigger than you applies" and do not assume anyone is going to give way until proven.

I cycled a lap of this on a saturday morning a few years back and did not actually notice that it was 'La priorité à droite' - looks like I need to keep my eyes on the road more rather than on the sights

Edit- I am sure that the all the enterances are traffic light controlled

Top Bottom