My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
My advice to anybody new to cycling in France would be to aware that it exists and be diligent but not too worry about it too much.

This is my point exactly. The problem is that too many people don't know this law exists. And I want to add that some junctions really are difficult to see. Junctions like the one in my photo are rare, but they do exist. There's another one near my home, actually - the first time I encountered it, I noticed it after I went over it, and thought to myself "Christ, if there was a car..." This is less of a problem outside of towns and villages, as has already been mentioned.
I was interested that this rule exists in Norway. I'm hoping to head out there next year, so I'll be wary of it there. Actually, the problem for me is less that the rule exists, but more that it ofen isn't properly signaled, or signalled at all in some circumstances. Is that the case in Norway?

I was interested that this rule exists in Norway. I'm hoping to head out there next year, so I'll be wary of it there. Actually, the problem for me is less that the rule exists, but more that it ofen isn't properly signaled, or signalled at all in some circumstances. Is that the case in Norway?

"Hijacks thread to Norway"

The couple of times that ive cycled in Norway Ive never noticed that the rule exists there (blind as well as deaf?)

Im always on the alert for it because when I was young it was relatively common in Germany - Since been done away with (definetly not seen it on the last couple of occasions Ive been there - although I think in places Belgium still has it) and they sorted out the roundabout priority at the same time

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Isn't it supposed to exist in Italy and Spain as well? Maybe we Brits are the exceptions in not having it? But I think it's more frequent in France than in the other countries I've cycled in - or maybe I notice it more because I live here.

This site may be of use to you: http://www.explorra....ons/norway_9592

I cut and pasted this to save you the trouble:

Rules and regulations
<I>Norwegian roads are among the safest in the world due to extensive training of drivers, low speed limits and strict enforcement of rule

Thanks Dayvo. You're sure one lucky guy to live in that beautiful land. I've dreamed of going to Norway for so long - can't wait!

I should leave it long enough that you can save up for some decent waterproofs

Tourist in Bergen says to small boy "does it always rain here" small boy replies "I don't know I'm only 14years old"

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have a question for the expats or anyone else, indeed! Those hardstand areas in small towns and villages for camper vans, do they have a running water facility that might come in useful for topping up purposs?

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

I believe some, or even most of them do - but I tend to stay in campsites so I don't use them.

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I did a long tour around France on the bike, and wild camped most days, I generally never had a problem finding somewhere to pitch up. I encountered land owners on several occasions and mostly they were pleasant and didn't object.

A number of times we visited vineyards, wineries, and farms selling produce, bought something and asked if is was possible camp somewhere out of the way and every time they said yes. One some occasions they even made us packed lunches, invited us to dinner, etc. Far better experience than staying in an F1 :-)

I must say speaking French felt like a real advantage though.

yello

I have a question for the expats or anyone else, indeed! Those hardstand areas in small towns and villages for camper vans, do they have a running water facility that might come in useful for topping up purposs?

Sorry Rich, only just seen this. No idea in truth. I'd imagine they do but I've never actually looked to find out.

Something worth bearing in mind though is cemeteries. Pretty much every town has one and they invariably have a tap for water. It's pretty freaky wondering around one by torch light in the small hours though! Been there, done that! ;) Equally, a local sports' ground (or 'stade') usually has an outside tap.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sorry Rich, only just seen this. No idea in truth. I'd imagine they do but I've never actually looked to find out.

Something worth bearing in mind though is cemeteries. Pretty much every town has one and they invariably have a tap for water. It's pretty freaky wondering around one by torch light in the small hours though! Been there, done that! ;) Equally, a local sports' ground (or 'stade') usually has an outside tap.

Some of the hard standing areas do have water taps.

I cemeteries are a reliable source of water. I've even come across a couple of cemeteries with a WC in the corner though they are not the norm.

Another source of water is the cast iron standards with a rotating top. They are usually painted green and look a bit like a fire hydrant. Rotating the top using the integrated handle initiates a gurgling sound and eventually a stream of water. Stop turning the handle and the flow of water ceases. Magic!

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Another source of water is the cast iron standards with a rotating top. They are usually painted green and look a bit like a fire hydrant. Rotating the top using the integrated handle initiates a gurgling sound and eventually a stream of water. Stop turning the handle and the flow of water ceases. Magic!

They don't always work, unfortunately. In my town none of them do. I've never had problems finding water in France, though. When I stop in a bar or even a bakers, I always ask them if they can fill my bottle - some even offer to put ice in it.

johnny mcgurk

Round these parts, south west, most of the camper van stopping sites do have running water, but it's not always drinkable, but will be marked non potable if that is the case. Most village squares have a tap or fountain and only the most niggardly of cafe owners will refuse to fill a bidon or two if asked nicely.Very often if I stop for a coffee, they will ask me if I want mine filled.

dragon72

Guru
When entering a bar or café, say "Bonjour" to the people in there, whether you know them or not.
Similarly, if you see people eating, wish them a "Bon appétit".
You'll notice French people doing it to you, so why not do as they do to and spread the politeness and love.
That's why I love France. It's (generally) just such a polite and civilised society.

Top Bottom