My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

When entering a bar or café, say "Bonjour" to the people in there, whether you know them or not.

Yes, it is the norm. A basic level of politeness perhaps, or just a cultural habit? Who knows. Either way, it happens. They're equally as likely to just say 'madame' or 'monsieur' or 'madame monsieur' etc depending on who is in the bar/cafe.

snowy10

I've always found the French countryside more open and less fenced in than other countries. My route took me from Brittany down the Atlantic coast then over the Pyrenees to Spain. I think I wild camped 1 night in 3 and only once had difficulty finding somewhere. Would have done it more often if it wasn't for the cheap municipals.

Each to his own I suppose but for me, cycling and wild camping are the perfect combination. Why compromise the freedom cycling gives by imposing detours and timescales to find accommodation? Just ride where you want, for as long as you want, put the tent up, eat, sleep and be on your way again in the morning. Beautiful.

Plus you sometimes get the place to yourself for the evening:
View attachment 3607
I agree!

gwhite

Über Member
I have a question for the expats or anyone else, indeed! Those hardstand areas in small towns and villages for camper vans, do they have a running water facility that might come in useful for topping up purposs?

French cemeteries all have a tap which can be handy at times for filling water bottles.
I do agree that France is the most wonderful country for cycling and drivers there really do have a real respect for cyclists. I miss it terribly after cycle/camping there for thirty-five years and living there for three. I had to give this up due to health problems but even now,every summer I think of my wee tent and how good it was to spend a couple of months cycling those little country roads. I really wish I wasn't old and decrepit.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't wish to disagree with a French domicile but I've cycled many times in France and toured 1000's of miles there and never once come across priorite a droite.

Are you sure you're not over-egging it a bit?

Much the same experience for me. I have been visiting France for 35 years as a cyclist and driver in both very rural and heavily urbanised areas. We frequently stay with and are driven by French nationals. They have never even mentioned or acted upon the rule - even when lending us a car.

While I know the rule exists, and have often seen the warning signs, the only time I had an issue with prioritie a droite was the first time I drove on the Periphique in Paris. I was busy cursing the idiots pulling out in front of me until my French passenger pointed out those entering from the right had priority.

The rule is not an issue, merely requiring a common sense, cautious approach to driving or driving in a foreign country I hope the over-emphasis on this issue does not put anyone off visiting a wonderful country.

asterix

Comrade Member
re priorite a droite. This is my take..

France is a much bigger country than the UK and has a vast number of tiny roads whose junctions are often well below modern standards. Economically it would be absurd to re engineer them all so road users have to take considerable care in such situations. Fortunately traffic density is far less than in much of the UK.

On major French roads outside towns there is no priorite a droite unless clearly marked by the sign shown by the OP, i.e. triangle and black st Andrews cross. Incredibly rare IME.

On rural roads it is not uncommon and in both instances always refers to a specific junction.

A sign that is a yellow diamond on white means that you are on a road that has over all priorite and vehicles from both left and right must give way. Usually seen on leaving a town.

The same sign with a black slash across means you no longer have complete priorite and must give way to vehicles from the right, usually seen on entering a town.

I can think of only a single occasion when I have had a problem with priorite a droite when cycling, a scare really, as a car passed at speed on a right hand merging road. A lesson learned!

Otherwise TBH, I find the best plan is to drive a large, battered old white van as this will gain you the respect you need on the roads unless you meet a tractor. Fortunately most tractor drivers have been very good so far.

I started driving in France in 1992 and since 2005 I spend half my time in the Haute Vienne, where the huge majority of drivers are courteous and unaggressive (apart from the odd timber lorry driver though most of them are fine).

Crankarm

Guru
Is priorite a droite really not a symptom of the general mood in French politics rather than an arcane ambiguous custom of little relevance to modern day road manners or common sense?

I have driven a few hundred thousand kilometers in France and NEVER EVER had a problem with PaD. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. The only place I ever found it was ever observed was on l' Arc de Triomphe being the national symbol of French identity and example to all French that their way of driving is correct and right, the Parisians cocking a Gallic snoot to those drivers from foreign jurisdictions with common sense and a more developed road sense who are reduced to pulp negotiating the l' AdT. I was more often driving a big white van when I went around it, several times.

How about concentrating on the numbers killed in RTAs in France which is far higher than the UK as also is drink driving? That the police have powers to levy substantial on the spot fines or get you in front of a local magistrate within hours should you commit a misdemeanour. France is a very beaurocratic country. If you break rules and you are caught .......... you are for the chop.

But if you like adhering to rules and the minutae of protocol then France is for you except when the French decide to spectacularly suspend the rules and it becomes a free for all - melee. Pffuffff! Euhhhh! Speaking good French helps such a lot.

I can whole heartedly recommend Stephen Clarke's comic books on France and the French. He is a bit like what Bill Bryson and Clive James are to the UK.

Cycling on the minor roads in France, through rural France, is a delight although busier and more major roads can be hazardous. The French are courteous to cyclists, that is cyclists who look like they are racing or club cyclists, but other types of cyclists, ie commuters or those who cycle because they eschew a car are despised and are fair game with any thing else that strays across the path of their vehicle.

asterix

Comrade Member
NEVER EVER had a problem with PaD. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The road from my hameau emerges onto the main road and I have priorite a droite over main road traffic. The reason is that visibility at this junction is so poor that it's important for me to have the priority, otherwise main road traffic could simply plough into me and say I didn't look! As it is the onus is on them to look and be careful. A not unusual situation hereabouts.

Cycling on the minor roads in France, through rural France, is a delight although busier and more major roads can be hazardous. The French are courteous to cyclists, that is cyclists who look like they are racing or club cyclists, but other types of cyclists, ie commuters or those who cycle because they eschew a car are despised and are fair game with any thing else that strays across the path of their vehicle.

IME different parts of France are.. er.. different. I don't ride a road bike, I have an audax bike and a tourer and yet even when I go out and do my shopping with panniers I still find that French drivers are courteous both in this area and also when I have toured in different parts. My French is very poor yet I do try to speak it and get along pretty well since most French people I meet are friendly and helpful (I tend to avoid Paris).

If you break rules and you are caught .......... you are for the chop.

Having run a red in my van I was followed by a Gendarme who then stopped me and explained my misdemeanour (it was a kind of red you don't get in the UK and they have now changed the junction), I apologised and he told me not to do it again. I guess being courteous got me off! Nevertheless, the Gendarmes do give short shrift to speeders and such like (I have seen them hiding behind buildings and walls with their radars) and speed cameras are becoming less and less easy to spot.

How about concentrating on the numbers killed in RTAs in France which is far higher than the UK as also is drink driving?

Whilst I wouldn't argue with that, it's worth bearing in mind that French roads in holiday season are stuffed with foreign drivers, Dutch, Belgian, German, Brits and the rest. Many of these drive like lunatics.. ..because they are on holiday? I avoid the main roads in August. It's also true that France is a much bigger country than the UK with a great number of rural roads, narrow and tortuous which lend themselves to accidents if you are careless or simply unaccustomed to such roads. In winter it is impossible to treat these roads (there are so many) and driving can be very treacherous. In February the temperature here was between 10 and 14 below for a fortnight and other parts of France several degrees colder. Unlike the UK it is a continental climate rather than that of an island washed by the Gulf Stream.

JC4LAB

Im not a long distance touring cyclist but just do short stuff as I stop too often to investigate the towns and villages I pass through ( I do 30-40 miles a day mostly on a Brompton folder)For anyone simlar or with just a few days.I ve done and can recommend..1.The Seine from Paris Versailles Rouen then up to Dieppe.(you get cheered as you pass though the villages).2.In Provence,Luberon Cycelway (for its perched viilages and Lavendar Trails (July) .3.The Loire.. Blois to the coast during Sunflower season.visiting the famous Chateaux en route.4.A long weekend of three or four Guided tours of Paris with Fat tire Bike tours(Paris by day,night ,Versailles ,Monets Gardens etc..dozens on em..recommend)..5 A journey along the French Riveria St Tropez to Menton beyhond Monaco on the coastal road..Linked that one with a visit to the Cannes Film Festival and Monaco Grand prix (Mid May).Its a very very scenic ride along a blue coved filled coast,via Antibbes,Juan les Pain, Nice.Monaco etc perfect for easy cycling..Plenty of cyclelanes on that route but some traffic bottlenecks and intense bits but nothing unmanageable.

nomdeplume

Hi, I am a Brit resident in France and am a keen cyclist. I can recommend cycling the canal towpaths, they are quiet, flat, and pass through beautiful areas. I have cycled from Royan to Sete along the canal Lateral de la Garonne and the Canal du Midi. Also many lesser waterways and this autumn plan to cycle from Paris along the Canal d'Ourcq, then join the Aisne, then the Oise to return to Paris.
Otherwise I cycle as much as possible on the 'chemins rural' equivalent to green lanes or public bridleways. I ride a Trek mountain bile mostly and am buying a Brompton shortly for ease of use on public transport though it will probably be unsuitable on the rough tracks. I will be pleased to assist anyone new to cycling in France.

Crankarm

Guru
Hi, I am a Brit resident in France and am a keen cyclist. I can recommend cycling the canal towpaths, they are quiet, flat, and pass through beautiful areas. I have cycled from Royan to Sete along the canal Lateral de la Garonne and the Canal du Midi. Also many lesser waterways and this autumn plan to cycle from Paris along the Canal d'Ourcq, then join the Aisne, then the Oise to return to Paris.
Otherwise I cycle as much as possible on the 'chemins rural' equivalent to green lanes or public bridleways. I ride a Trek mountain bile mostly and am buying a Brompton shortly for ease of use on public transport though it will probably be unsuitable on the rough tracks. I will be pleased to assist anyone new to cycling in France.

Vous etes tres gentil. Merci beaucoups.

john xyz

Which part of France are you in?

Top Bottom