My Triban 3 commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

An update .....

Flipped the stem and still felt I was in a "ass up-head down" position with the saddle set to the correct height. As this is my commuter bike, I wasn't happy with that, and kept thinking I should of bought the next size up (60cm).
Went back to Decathlon Surrey Quays this morning with the bike back to original spec. They changed it for the 60cm without any issues. Whilst the techy was getting the new one ready, I asked if he would flip the stem and fit the new saddle I decided to buy as the default saddle isn't somewhere you wanna spend too much time on. I didn't mind spending more money in a shop that treats it's customers so well
The difference in riding position is so much better - she's not far off the Defy now!!!

Gotta say...that is such a sweet bike for the price - £300!!!
Looks the bogs as well as having Sora STI Shifters ans the carbon fork detail.

What's the mechs?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
An update .....

Flipped the stem and still felt I was in a "ass up-head down" position with the saddle set to the correct height. As this is my commuter bike, I wasn't happy with that, and kept thinking I should of bought the next size up (60cm).

How tall are you?

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... ah, who cares!

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

I'm 5ft 11 and the rear mech is Shimano.
Took her out today for a relaxed 18 miles. So looking fwd to the commutes now.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I am in the market for a new bike and this looks like the very thing. It looks better than the Carera for the same price. The only thing I would prefer is if the triban came with a compact chainring rather than the three rings. Does this exist or would it be possible to change it. Would the sti's still work. I know that with other sorts of changers I've been able to use a 3 way changer on a 2 ring chainring. Is it the same witht sti's?

lip03

Über Member
went and had a test ride around the surey quay store last week and it was just a dream to ride think i am going to treat myself at the end of this month! i only have a 3 mile commute but will try and get out for some sunday rides i think!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Thanks! If / when I buy one of these bikes I'll have to do it mail order, so known what size you bought is useful.

Word of warning, when assessing your required bike size by other peoples experience.
I'm 5" 10.5" (the 0.5" is important!) If I remember right my first (B'Twin Sport) is a 57". So Defy-one and my initial takes were the same. I don't think Decathlon actually have height/frame size guides, but there are several online. According to the charts I found, near enough the same height, we got the same frame.
He found it slightly too small for him and went back, got the larger size. According to the charts, it's too big, but he's knows how he rides etc and he's happy with it.
When I got my Triban I automatically went in saying I need the 57". Same style bike, same manufacturer etc. Seems like a reasonable assumption? I rode around on the T3, T5 on various frame sizes with a very switched on techy who gave plenty of advice.
I ended up getting the 54" and I'm very happy with it. Should be slightly too small, according to the chart.
If there's no chance of sitting on one before you order. I'd go with the charts.

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

Gambette makes an excelkent point. I had done lots of research and they all pointed to a 57 frame size. It felt good in the shop,but not so once i tweeked the saddle height and for/aft position.
Andrew - i would go in person even though 80 miles is quite a drive. My mistake was not engaging a techy on my initial purchase to set the bike how i ride. If i had done, i like to think the frame sizing would have become apparant.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Nice bike - these really do seem to sell like hot cakes. I'm looking forward to a trip to Decathlon in France soon, but I won't be buying a bike.
Is that where you have to go to be able to buy one in the flesh as it were. I really dislike the idea of buying a bike that I haven't been able to at least sit on. It gives me the ab dabs.

mikmurray

Regular
great info defy one, i rode with a rucsack for 2 years, hated every ride with it, but never got round to panniers, definatley will with my next bike tho

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Is that where you have to go to be able to buy one in the flesh as it were. I really dislike the idea of buying a bike that I haven't been able to at least sit on. It gives me the ab dabs.

Decathlon have some UK stores but nothing near Bristol.

I've bought loads of outdoor gear in the past when in France, where they are much more common, & have some cycling shorts on my shopping list this time round. The french stores even sell shotgun cartridges !

Top Bottom