My Triban 3 commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ulidia2012

Regular
What Panniers did you get Defy-One? Wasn't much of a selection in My decathlon and after my first 3 weeks commuting i think i would prefer them to my rucksack. i'm not going to be breaking any speed records for a while so he comfort benefits would be a bonus.

Biglad82

I'm so tempted to buy one of these - it's so pretty. My weight being a small factor, it's that plus the roads in Hull are as bad as climbing Mount Snowdon :biggrin:
I went up snowdon twice in 4 days a couple of years back , if only I knew hull was like that I wouldn't have bothered travelling to Wales :tongue:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Andrew - i would go in person even though 80 miles is quite a drive. My mistake was not engaging a techy on my initial purchase to set the bike how i ride. If i had done, i like to think the frame sizing would have become apparant.

maybe I'll save up enough to also get an MTB, to make the trip worthwhile of course...

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... Ippo Rock City

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

What Panniers did you get Defy-One? Wasn't much of a selection in My decathlon and after my first 3 weeks commuting i think i would prefer them to my rucksack. i'm not going to be breaking any speed records for a while so he comfort benefits would be a bonus.

I bought the 25L triban single pannier,for the nearside. Wasn't sure what i needed,but it needs to hold my rucksack with laptop,charger tools,dvds and my personal stuff for commuting all day. If i need more space (doubt it) then i'll buy the triban 16L for the offside.
Wish i didn't need a rack & panniers,but needs must!

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

I am 5ft 11in and 31 inside leg.

The Triban 3 frame size I bought is 57. Its a perfect fit.

Everyones different. It was ok,but i just needed that extra height.it meant my saddle is fractionally lower and bars are fractionally higher,giving me a better view in central london traffic

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Decathlon have some UK stores but nothing near Bristol.

I've bought loads of outdoor gear in the past when in France, where they are much more common, & have some cycling shorts on my shopping list this time round. The french stores even sell shotgun cartridges !

You think travelling from bristol to a decathlon store is bad!!! lol

I still use my 10 euro fishing rod at the local lake and my 8 euro football boots lasted 2 seasons! i love that place and miss my trips to france even more now!!! lol

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

uploadfromtaptalk1344339459891.jpg

Did my 1st commute. It was excellent. 15 miles in just over an hour! Woo hooo :biggrin:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Your office is very clean :smile:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
and those Decathlon bikes just keep going :-)
Just got mine back from a half service at Univeresal Cycles, owned by Dave Marsh, who did the service himself. A 5 year old bike which cost <£200 new. Upto now I've done everything myself, but I've always had servicing in mind, never got round to it. Figured every now and then its good to have a trusted 3rd party eye run over it. General fettle, wheels trued, spokes tensioned, gears readjusted and whilst it's in there, brake blocks changed.
Nice 14 mile tootle to work. I don't have the pannier, but did have a nicely packed Carradice Barley, with SQR. Not time chasing as I had to make a couple of stops en-route.
link-Strava
Hope you're as happy with yours for as long!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It looks fab, especially like the matching bottle :thumbsup:

I was asked by an elderly colleague at work this week about a new bike for him. He's coming up to retirement in the next 18 months and fancies something a bit nicer than the MTB he's been commuting on for years. I wasn't sure what to recomend as he only potters along the 1.5-2 miles from home to work but he admitted to having drop bar road bikes before and fancies going back to one of them. I instantly suggested the Triban 3 and showed him the review out of the current Cycle Active. If he had tinterweb savy I would point him to this thread as I am sure he would like to see one with panniers.

Lancj1

Nice bike that. You've got to love Decathlon. Unless I get into some very serious cycling I can't see myself ever buying a bike anywhere else.

My thoughts too. I am a gear kind of person in my other hobbies, and if I do become more committed to cycling will no doubt want to try more expensive equipment. The thing that puzzles me about bikes though is the comment often read about "not worth upgrading"..

This frame of the Triban is made of the same materials as many other more expensive bikes....what makes an Ali frame better or worse than another ?

If I went out and got expensive kit for my Triban frame ( I appreciate the cost of buying seperates) would it become, and be on a par, with a £1000 bike...or is there a real difference in the frame itself ?

Anyway, for now I love it - and I am off out now for an hour :smile:

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

I have the defy 1 which bikeradar says is the best 1k bike.
If i compare it to my triban, and not think about the better wheels,saddle,seatpost,sti levers,tyres,chain set etc. I would agree that both frames are pretty close. The defy would still be lighter and does respond better to my inputs.
There is definately a difference in the feel of both bikes. The triban is good,i could say very good,but the Defy is pure pleasure

Top Bottom