My Triban 3 commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Can you please let me know the seat post diameter on the triban? My girlfriend is buying one and I have a few spares that could be an immediate upgrade, i.e. carbon seatpost, better brakes etc, but want to know if the seatpost is the right size before I dig for it (didn't have a means of measuring when I was there and I now can't really recall what it was like, it seemed oversize vs my CAAD9 but now I think about it, might have been because the frame was tiny), as it's right at the back of a very packed cupboard. Thanks.

This frame of the Triban is made of the same materials as many other more expensive bikes....what makes an Ali frame better or worse than another ?

The shaping of the tubes and the geometry. Also the tube set, double butted, triple butted, wall thickness, diameter etc. The finishing up also, i.e. nice smooth welds, cable routing etc.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This frame of the Triban is made of the same materials as many other more expensive bikes....what makes an Ali frame better or worse than another ?

The shaping of the tubes and the geometry. Also the tube set, double butted, triple butted, wall thickness, diameter etc. The finishing up just also, i.e. nice smooth welds, cable routing etc.

As well as this there is also the material itself to consider. You wouldn't necessarily want a frame made from the same aluminium that pots and pans are made from. The aluminium alloy used is as critical to the feel, performance and longevity of the frame as the manipulation of the tubes.

caimg

Über Member
Wow these are flying off the shelves eh?! Got mine back in March / April and glad I did before this rush! I absolutely love mine, great bike and for £300 it's ridiculous.

OOT has anyone tried a Triban 5? Is it similarly a fab bike for the price?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Got a Triban 5 ^_^ Great bike.
Only thing I've upgraded the wheelset. Typical comment was 'nice bike, best upgrade would be the wheels'.. the commuters were getting a bit thin (I told myself) and rather than get a new set for them, I got a new set for the 5 and move the 5s wheelset down to the commuter.
Nice new Planet X AL30s^_^
I'll stick a photo up in a bit:rolleyes:
<edited to add>
002.JPG

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I was thinking about getting there cx bike, anyone got one? If so whats it like?
Workmates had one for a bit, he's had bikes for years and it was his 'bike of choice', til he managed to get a crackin, knockdown, C2W deal on one of the last 'proper' Gary Fishers

BTW Decathlon doesn't offer me a commission for referrals!

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi defy-one,

I too have recently bought a Triban 3.......a lot of bike for the money and a real looker!

I am interested in your rack/pannier set-up.

One of the things that swayed me towards the bike was the triple ring (I'm big on hills but short on leg-power!)
I would dearly love to try a spot of lightweight touring one day soon. Minimal equipment....lightweight tent etc....small panniers.....and noted that the Triban dropout was drilled notionally for mudguards and that their appear to be some sort of mounting holes at the top of the seat stays.........

However.......

I wonder if this set up is STRONG enough for a rack and pannier? I have no prior experience of using racks on any other bikes and the little hole is very close to the edge of the dropouts-looks a bit 'feeble'-but what do I know!!?

Part of me thinks maybe I should have considered buying an out and out tourer.....but this seemed a sensible option at the time, after all....I'm only looking at the occaisional jaunt.

What do you all think?

Racks and panniers on this sort of bike a 'no-go' area?

How secure do you feel with yours, defy-one?

Best to all

w

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
My old B'Twin has had a pannier rack on and off several times, no problem. It hasn't tended to be used with a balanced load as I've generally only used the offside pannier.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Popped into Decathlon yesterday. As I passed the area where they setup the new bikes for customers I had to check.
8 bikes, including 5 Triban 3s. I bet they can't get them in fast enough?

I've just joined the Triban 3 club too ^_^ The 25 miles into work was a pleasure and several grins were applied. It feels very quick and fun to ride.

I did lock the back wheel a bit on a greasy roundabout which was a bit hairy but I managed to hold it. Also, I noticed a bit of what could be described as "brake fade" on slowing from about 25mph but it was a little damp this morning. Just needs a bit of adjustment on the front derailleur limit (rubs slightly when in the biggest gear)

Bought from Decathlon in Stockport; the friendly staff not only flipped the stem on a couple of frame sizes for me to try but also did a neat job of cutting down a seat post on the Fitness 3 that my partner bought at the same time. I'm 6' 1" and I ended up choosing a 60cm frame with a flipped stem.

Mudguards on order, bring on the commuting!

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
I'm doing my first commute on mine tomorrow. Actually can't wait. I upgraded the pedals to SPD compatible ones and hard shell tyres to reduce the risk of punctures. Still getting used to clipping in and out and riding the hoods but so far so good

Top Bottom