My Virgin phone account......you couldnt make this story up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You may recall that aprox 6 months ago someone phoned Virgin pretending to be me. Somehow they convinced Virgin that they (me) had forgotten the password, got it changed and proceeded to buy a £700 iphone on my account......which Virgin billed ME for.
Eventually got that sorted and Virgin "red flagged" my account to give extra security.
Yesterday we went into the store and chose 2 new phones to upgrade our old (contract) ones.
OOPS.......the red flag wouldnt allow even the store to bypass it and order new phones. So.........a phone call to head office and we were told "red flag" would be temporarily lifted BUT it would take 24 hours.
Got a phone call today to say all is good & phones are in store ready to pick up so.......back to town today.
The assistant went through everything then went to my account to change payment details.......only for my credit rating to be turned down because.......I have had fraudulant activity on my account.
Assistant told me that sadly, she CANNOT phone anyone to get this changed. Her boss has to email head office and (assuming they will do so) it will take minimum 24 hours to lift the ban.
The crazy thing is......they know my credit is good as they take money for tv/internet and phones every month.
Any more problem and I will switch suppliers.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not sure if your issue would be solved by changing providers. I'd be taking a look at my credit file & rating in your position as it sounds like it has been affected.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And that, folks, is why credit checkers are pretty unreliable. Banks and any other credit providers need to stop using basic public info to identify their customers. I got asked for my birthplace earlier this week and that was it for ID :rolleyes: You know, what's known to anyone who's seen my passport or I think driving licence or done a search on the relevant service, or simply guessed if you know me much. I give the banks fake info now and write it down encrypted with the passwords.

Will the temporarily-lifted "red flag" have returned by the time they get the credit file corrected?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not sure if your issue would be solved by changing providers. I'd be taking a look at my credit file & rating in your position as it sounds like it has been affected.
The assistant tells me the credit check is split into 2 parts and it is only the Virgin part thats affected.
But I will check.......thanks.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
And that, folks, is why credit checkers are pretty unreliable. Banks and any other credit providers need to stop using basic public info to identify their customers. I got asked for my birthplace earlier this week and that was it for ID :rolleyes: You know, what's known to anyone who's seen my passport or I think driving licence or done a search on the relevant service, or simply guessed if you know me much. I give the banks fake info now and write it down encrypted with the passwords.

Will the temporarily-lifted "red flag" have returned by the time they get the credit file corrected?
I wonder. All will be revealed come Saturday.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
...and whilst you're at it do also take a look at buying a handset separately, plus SIM only deal. It's typically much better value than a bundled deal.

Not worth doing business with virgins. Tesco much better.

I had real trouble with Tesco, who the EldestCub used to be with. Ended up just going elsewhere, which was a shame because their combination of sensibly managed capped packages and cheaper handsets made them quite a sensible choice for parents-of-teens. My customer service experience when we encountered a problem was shockingly rubbish though, so I'm unlikely to go back.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
+1 for buying a handset with cash and then a 12 month SIM only deal. You can keep the handset and shop around every year for the best SIM plan. I currently have 600 mins + 12GB data for £13/month but there are probably better deals out there now. I would recommend Tesco or 3 mobile but check best 4g/signal in your area?

Top Bottom