My "Wardrobe Malfunction". It's worse than Janet Jackson's......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A couple of weeks ago, I bought an acrylic beanie hat to keep my ears warm. It came highly recommended by the hardy parishioners at Screwfix. It's certainly warm but it got a weird wanderlust. At the beginning of a ride, I jam it down right to my neck but within a couple of minutes it's heading northwards over my ears.....and it's not inclined to stop. After adjustment, the whole process repeats with tedious monotony. Obviously, duct tape would fix the problem. An alternative would be to get a couple of ring piercings in my ears, sew a couple of mini snap-links to the hat, and clip in at the start of every ride. Pretty stylish really, but there has to be a better way.
Are there any fellow sufferers on the forum, and if so, could you possibly offer advice? Thank you.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Advice here if you are folically challenged. If you still have your own hair I wonder if there is some interesting sciencey stuff happening with static charges. Does it happen with a real wool hat?

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Advice here if you are folically challenged. If you still have your own hair I wonder if there is some interesting sciencey stuff happening with static charges. Does it happen with a real wool hat?
No, I've still got quite a bit of hair......a bit less than earlier today but I went for a haircut at 5:30pm. I don't do hair gel. However it is revoltingly sticky. Maybe that's the answer to my wandering beanie angst.

I think that the static attraction from acrylic is probably greater than that from wool. However it's a while since I did physics A level so I'm probably mistaken.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
And also available from Screwfix, so @slowmotion will be able to claim the VAT back.
Alas, my days as a wicked company director are long over.:cry:

snorri

Legendary Member
It sound like a negative gravity problem.
Is their a turn up around the bottom of the beanie? Perhaps you could get some lead strip and place it in the turn up to add to the weight and hold your beanie down.
HTH

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It sound like a negative gravity problem.
Is their a turn up around the bottom of the beanie? Perhaps you could get some lead strip and place it in the turn up to add to the weight and hold your beanie down.
HTH
I'll have to admit that my beanie does have a generous turn up around my forehead. Being a style victim, I thought that this was absolutely essential to cut the mustard with da yoof.

Maybe the fabric restriction/tension from the turn up is causing an upwards force to lift my headwear!:eek:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's a ratchet problem. I assume you have short, bristley hair? The material of the hat moves over the nap of your hair in one direction only and this is resulting in the unwanted movement of your new hat.
I have a similar problem with some fleece hats. I can put them on and check carefully in a mirror that any logos are aligned centrally at the front but once I start moving around a bit the movement of my scalp results in the hat rotating on my head and the logo moves unstoppably to my left.

I think a slick wet shave of the head will be the only solution, but my wife won't let me so I have to live with continually correcting the hat's position....

Top Bottom