My wheels keep falling out...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
I have a Genesis Croix De Fer 2014 model.

After a quite fast and twisty descent I had to get off and push through a barrier. I was aware of a funny noise, looked down and noticed my rear wheel was totally loose in the dropout. I chalked it up to experience and thought thank god I didn't die going down that hill.

Today though, again, I noticed things being a little more noisy than usual and got off to push down stairs, front wheel totally loose in the dropout.

This has never happened with any other bike I've owned and I can't for the life of me fathom why the QR skewers would come loose. Any ideas? I will say the first episode was after a short stretch of cobbles and the second after some potholed roads. Although I wouldn't expect the wheels to fall out an 'adventure bike' after a pothole or two?!

Thanks in advance!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Either they are crap or not tight enough.

From WTB Website:

WARNING: Securely clamping the wheel with a cam action retention device takes considerable

force. If you can fully close the cam lever without wrapping your fingers around the fork blade for

leverage, the lever does not leave a clear imprint in the palm of your hand, and the serrations on the

wheel fastener do not emboss the surfaces of the dropouts, the tension is insufficient. Open the lever;

turn the tension adjusting nut clockwise a quarter turn; then try again

And another set of instructions, this time from Shimano.

No-one reads these things and the result is we all have to suffer silly recalls, lawyers lips and other dumbed-down safety impediments.

Attachments

• Shimano Quick Release.pdf
    307.9 KB · Views: 57

potsy

Rambler
I had some on my CX that no matter how tight they were the wheel would move under braking, replaced with some Shimano ones and it's been fine ever since.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
I know how to use a QR skewer, they are done up tight enough. I have not had this happen with any other bike, wheel, QR etc...

They do say Shimano on them but further than that not sure what they are?

Unless my husband wants that life insurance payout?!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I know how to use a QR skewer, they are done up tight enough. I have not had this happen with any other bike, wheel, QR etc...

Well, if it has only happened to this bike and the skewers are Shimano (as far as I know, all Shimano skewers are the enclosed cam type) it only leave one possibility. Someone is trying to kill you :eek:

ayceejay

Guru
Does this happen after you have had the wheel out for some reason, as there are several errors connected with putting wheel back on?
It is also possible that when loose the surface of your skewer has become worn/polished and now won't hold.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

Not questioning your competence or anything - really, I'm not - but the only thing I can think of is that things vary, and maybe for this bike/wheel/skewer combination, what's always been tight enough isn't tight enough. If it was me, I'd keep turning the nut till I literally couldn't force the lever home, then back it off a quarter turn and do the lever. And if that didn't hold it, I'd certainly be thinking about the life insurance option...

The design of Shimano and Campagnolo quick release mechanisms are such that when properly tightened, they CANNOT loosen themselves. You don't say how they loosen - does the lever open itself or does the nut at the other end unscrew?

The cam on the abovementioned skewers is positioned in such a way that the last few degrees of lever throw beyond the 180 degree position slackens the tension somewhat. That is, the cam in that position had gone beyond its highest point and is starting to recede. This is significant because in order for the lever to open, a force higher than the existing force on the lever has to be applied. It isn't a linear affair, it peaks just before closure and then drops off.

This is a safety mechanism. Further, good skewers have hard teeth that emboss the dropout, preventing sliding. \

Something is not right with the story. Something else is going on.

sidevalve

Über Member

Change your will :gun:

pawl

Legendary Member
I had this problem when riding a time trial on the Leamington Warwick by pass .the road surface is or was a corrugated surface. I rode the last3 miles watching the Qr
I have a Genesis Croix De Fer 2014 model.

After a quite fast and twisty descent I had to get off and push through a barrier. I was aware of a funny noise, looked down and noticed my rear wheel was totally loose in the dropout. I chalked it up to experience and thought thank god I didn't die going down that hill.

Today though, again, I noticed things being a little more noisy than usual and got off to push down stairs, front wheel totally loose in the dropout.

This has never happened with any other bike I've owned and I can't for the life of me fathom why the QR skewers would come loose. Any ideas? I will say the first episode was after a short stretch of cobbles and the second after some potholed roads. Although I wouldn't expect the wheels to fall out an 'adventure bike' after a pothole or two?!

Thanks in advance!!
Either they are crap or not tight enough.
I had this happen to me when riding a TT.Road was one of these corrugated concrete surfaces.For the Last 3miles I watched the QR slowly opening Had to stop in the last100yds and tighten the skewer.Suggest you replace the skewer for safety.I never had this problem again after replacing the skewer.
One thought is the wheel centred in the drop outs.

Top Bottom