My wheels keep falling out...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
Not questioning your competence or anything - really, I'm not - but the only thing I can think of is that things vary, and maybe for this bike/wheel/skewer combination, what's always been tight enough isn't tight enough. If it was me, I'd keep turning the nut till I literally couldn't force the lever home, then back it off a quarter turn and do the lever. And if that didn't hold it, I'd certainly be thinking about the life insurance option...

That is exactly what I do. I tighten it until I physically can't close the lever. Then I back off until I can close it which normally takes considerable force. The only difference is this is my first steel bike?

The design of Shimano and Campagnolo quick release mechanisms are such that when properly tightened, they CANNOT loosen themselves. You don't say how they loosen - does the lever open itself or does the nut at the other end unscrew?

The cam on the abovementioned skewers is positioned in such a way that the last few degrees of lever throw beyond the 180 degree position slackens the tension somewhat. That is, the cam in that position had gone beyond its highest point and is starting to recede. This is significant because in order for the lever to open, a force higher than the existing force on the lever has to be applied. It isn't a linear affair, it peaks just before closure and then drops off.

This is a safety mechanism. Further, good skewers have hard teeth that emboss the dropout, preventing sliding. \

Something is not right with the story. Something else is going on.

I've attached a picture of the dropout at the front to show there is marking from the qr being done up tightly. Is this what you mean by embossing? Bearing in mind I've had this bike since February (bought second hand but unused, if that makes sense)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 68
@lesley_x

Your focus and light is not good enough for my old eyes. I see paint flaking but can't actually see embossing. Also, whilst you're at it, show me a pic of the QR too please.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When the wheel is about to fall out, is the QR lever still fully home - beyond 180 degrees as yellow saddle describes?

If so, the nut at the other end must be coming undone.

Make sure it's sitting with the serrations engaged, not on top of each other.

The lever cannot flop open from tight unless it's faulty.

Might be simplest to buy a new Shimano skewer, they are the best, despite your experience.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
I'm about to go out for a ride right now, if I don't post back my wheels have fallen out and my husband has finally got that Porsche he wanted!!!

From memory I don't think the lever was sitting open, I think it was open slightly (maybe 5mm) but couldn't be 100% sure.

I'll try to get a better picture when I get back of the dropouts.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Not questioning your competence or anything - really, I'm not - but the only thing I can think of is that things vary, and maybe for this bike/wheel/skewer combination, what's always been tight enough isn't tight enough. If it was me, I'd keep turning the nut till I literally couldn't force the lever home, then back it off a quarter turn and do the lever. And if that didn't hold it, I'd certainly be thinking about the life insurance option...
This is my method with QRs, tighten until I physically cannot close the lever and then back off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn until I only just can and then as YS says, have it tipped over almost into the wheel so it is past maximum load.

I ride trails, unmade paths, wimpy MTB runs, the scabby jumped up farm tracks that pass for many roads in North Manchester, little cobble stretches and have never had an issue.

Lesley_x I suspect your skewer is in some way broken to be doing what you suggest or your hubby isn't succeeding in his nefarious aims wirh the paraquat tea bags and ground glass bolognaise.

Slightly more serious tampering question: Where was the bike prior to each episode of the skewers opening, could you have a stalker/practical joker on your hands without thwm having thought or understanding of the consequences?

I'd replace them and see what happens:
A) Problem solved = happy riding.

B) it keeps happening = some human is out to get you.

C) If you don't replace them then you need to be checking them thoroughly before every ride to be as sure as you can be you'll get off in one piece.

migrantwing

Veteran
Not slating your competence, but:

a) are the springs connected on the QR on both ends and facing the correct way? (Narrow end towards the dropouts.)
b) are you tightening the nut, not tightening with the lever?
c) is the wheel sitting properly in the dropouts? Loosen QR and brake quick release if you have them, lift bike up, then lower onto wheels with a little bit of weight.

If yes to all the above, then I'm flummoxed without actually seeing this first hand.

Hope it gets sorted out. Not pleasant.

Sharky

Guru
I'm about to go out for a ride right now, if I don't post back my wheels have fallen out and my husband has finally got that Porsche he wanted!!!

From memory I don't think the lever was sitting open, I think it was open slightly (maybe 5mm) but couldn't be 100% sure.

I'll try to get a better picture when I get back of the dropouts.

No update since you went out?
Where do we send the flowers to?

Hope you had a good ride
Keith

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Where do we send the flowers to?
Surely @lesley_x had a safe ride and has just been too busy to update us :smile:
Is hubby still in the country? :laugh:

shufflemelody

Veteran
I had a problem on my single speed bike (Genesis Flyer) where the front hub had come loose - The wheel was held in the fork ok by the nuts but as the bearings were loose it was moving around a lot. It made a lot of noise and it was only when I saw that the wheel was shakin' all over that I realised what was wrong, so if the quick release appears to be done up correctly and the wheel is moving around then it could be something similar...

buggi

Bird Saviour
Get rid of the quick release skewers and go back to normal nuts. I was having a conversation with a mate the other day. I didn't ask what bike he had but i vaguely remember him saying that the shop had recommended he stay away from quick release because he had disc brakes (on his new road bike) and I'm sure it was for this very reason. I can't remember the exact conversation but i remember being surprised because i have QR on my mountain bike (which has discs) but I'm 99% sure this is what he said.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Get rid of the quick release skewers and go back to normal nuts. I was having a conversation with a mate the other day. I didn't ask what bike he had but i vaguely remember him saying that the shop had recommended he stay away from quick release because he had disc brakes (on his new road bike) and I'm sure it was for this very reason. I can't remember the exact conversation but i remember being surprised because i have QR on my mountain bike (which has discs) but I'm 99% sure this is what he said.
Load of tosh I'm afraid. Not questioning your knowledge but whoever gave you this advice is talking out of their nevermind! A decent Q/R, properly tightened is more than adequate for the job. I have discs on my commuter hybrid and my MTB. Even when hammering down long, steep flights of steps at speed (80-100 steps) they never budge.

Top Bottom