My wheels keep falling out...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Interesting thread, it seems I've been using my QR's far too loose, was always careful not to over tighten, never had a problem but will tighten them a bit. Thanks.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Load of tosh I'm afraid. Not questioning your knowledge but whoever gave you this advice is talking out of their nevermind! A decent Q/R, properly tightened is more than adequate for the job. I have discs on my commuter hybrid and my MTB. Even when hammering down long, steep flights of steps at speed (80-100 steps) they never budge.
And you know that 100% for sure??
I can't remember the exact conversation (and can't find it either, I think it was on fb) but as soon as I read this it rang alarm bells. I know it was something to do with disc brakes or hub type and the QR being known to fail, and he ain't one to bullshit. Anyway I've just dropped a note to another mate who works in the most reputable LBS in the area and they sell the Croix, so I'll let you know what he says.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Ok... Here is the answer from my bike shop friend (not the guy I had the original conversation with).
If I was you, I'd take the skewers in to be checked...

wp_ss_20150530_0001.png

Hip Priest

Veteran
Interesting thread, it seems I've been using my QR's far too loose, was always careful not to over tighten, never had a problem but will tighten them a bit. Thanks.

I was just thinking the same thing. I don't tighten them anywhere as much as people on here recommend. Will do from now though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There were reports of problems with quick release and early disc brakes about seven or eight years ago.

I looked into it a couple of years ago and it appeared to be scaremongering, as far as I could gather before I lost the will to click on yet another old link.

Part of the 'problem' may have been forks with plain drop outs - no lip.

I can't see how the wheel can come out under braking because the rotor is being gripped by the pads.

I am not aware of a modern quick release, properly fitted, that has flopped open of its own accord.

All modern disc specific forks I've seen have lipped drop outs.

The Trek recall is something and nothing.

There was no suggestion the quick release could pop open of its own accord, but once opened, the lever could go so far back on itself as to possibly foul the spokes.

Not a big worry, but in litigious America it is a money making opportunity.

Tim Hall

There were reports of problems with quick release and early disc brakes about seven or eight years ago.

I looked into it a couple of years ago and it appeared to be scaremongering, as far as I could gather before I lost the will to click on yet another old link.

Part of the 'problem' may have been forks with plain drop outs - no lip.

I can't see how the wheel can come out under braking because the rotor is being gripped by the pads.
With the brake caliper on the rear of the front fork and downward facing dropouts, the action of the brake pad on the disc will tend to rotate the wheel out of the dropouts. If the caliper is on the front of the fork, the braking action will tend to rotate the wheel back up into the drop outs.

Some years ago Russ Pinder (blimey, Google tells me it was 2003) had his front weheel come out on a descent. He's paralysed from the waist down.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
With the brake caliper on the rear of the front fork and downward facing dropouts, the action of the brake pad on the disc will tend to rotate the wheel out of the dropouts. If the caliper is on the front of the fork, the braking action will tend to rotate the wheel back up into the drop outs.

And?

None of that amounts to anything.

It's like saying if I undo the quick release on my saddle it will tend to go down, unless the bike is upside down, when the saddle will tend to fall out.

There remains no evidence of quick releases being inherently unsafe, or prone to popping open, assuming they are correctly fitted.

Tim Hall

And?

None of that amounts to anything.

It's like saying if I undo the quick release on my saddle it will tend to go down, unless the bike is upside down, when the saddle will tend to fall out.

There remains no evidence of quick releases being inherently unsafe, or prone to popping open, assuming they are correctly fitted.
You said "I can't see how the wheel can come out under braking because the rotor is being gripped by the pads". I was explaining the circumstances where the wheel will come out, due partly to the fact that it is gripped by the pads.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The rotor is firmly connected to the wheel via the bolts, hub and spokes.

If the rotor is gripped by the pads - as under braking - it's not going anywhere and nor is the rest of the wheel, unless the whole lot fails catastrophically leaving the wheel bowling along the road and the rotor still between the calliper.

Top Bottom