My workmate: "I think cyclists should be forced to use the cyclepaths and take a test"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Had a bad morning this week going into work, cut up bad in icy weather and saw all kinds of mad malarky on the road. So I told one workmate about it only for another to interject "I think cyclists should be forced to use the cyclepaths and take a test!!"

My reply was thus: "Have you ever ridden on a cycle path?"
Her: "No..!"
Me: "..so you have never had your tyre shredded by the glass that some has thrown down?"
Her, aggressively: "Not my problem. You should still have to pass a test!"
Me: "Have you taken a test for driving?"
Her: "Yes."
Me: "And what about all those drivers who have caused crashes?"
Her: "...eeerrrrrr...?"
Me: "Didn't also break the law and get a speeding fine?"
Her: "I didnt have to pay the first fine..."
Me cutting her off: "Because they put on on a driver training course about speed. You had to do extra training. And then still broke the law."

Two of my workmates were stood there laughing. She just sauntered away grumbling.

runner

Guru
I often find at work that those who do not cycle are always up for an argument and have an opinion why they hate cyclists. I had a work colleague who for many a year was always up for an argument and always eager to vent his hatred towards me and cyclists in general. On the day of his retirement just before he left he came up to me and said he had a secret to impart....he had not only bought a bicycle but all the gear to go with it!! So i believe that those who say they hate cyclists do so out of a form of envy and sooner or later will not only agree with us but happily join us:bicycle:

I had one who complained about cyclists holding up traffic and jumping red lights.....

Two seconds says I.........and inserted that morning's video card to the PC in the staff room that shows him overtaking at the hospital entrance, then pulling a left hook through the red light.

"So I held you up by slowing as the lights changed to a red light, which then "forced you" to pull a dangerous manoeuvre and jump the red light some time after it had changed"?

Apparently I had no right to show the video, and he was really rather upset that he was not getting any sympathy for his actions.

However he never ever complains about cyclists in front of me any more!

S.Giles

I had one who complained about cyclists holding up traffic and jumping red lights.....

Two seconds says I.........and inserted that morning's video card to the PC in the staff room that shows him overtaking at the hospital entrance, then pulling a left hook through the red light.

"So I held you up by slowing as the lights changed to a red light, which then "forced you" to pull a dangerous manoeuvre and jump the red light some time after it had changed"?

Apparently I had no right to show the video, and he was really rather upset that he was not getting any sympathy for his actions.

However he never ever complains about cyclists in front of me any more!

...and needless to say, I had the last laugh!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist an A.P. reference!)

albion

Guru
"I think cyclists should be forced to use the cyclepaths and take a test!!"

So what made you think she was actually thinking?
Best I can come up with for her is 'dumb minds are parrot like'.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Too many of my colleagues cycle for the non cyclists to want to make anything of it, we are more likely to get into an argument about the way other people cycle instead, such as whether bus lanes are good or bad, and should you use ASL's. There are even a couple of bikes (mostly but entirely folders) tucked into little holes around the office.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Had a bad morning this week going into work, cut up bad in icy weather and saw all kinds of mad malarky on the road. So I told one workmate about it only for another to interject "I think cyclists should be forced to use the cyclepaths and take a test!!"

I had one of these when I had a proper job at nPower. I told her that I had taken a test. I took, and passed the cycling proficiency test in 1975. I also took and passed my motorcycle test in 1981 and, in addition, took and passed my car driving test in 2000. I suggested that when she had a driving licence and was no longer a passenger in a car or bus, she could then state her opinions on people's roadcraft.

Happily, I managed to say this into a 'hush' in the staff-room before work. Several people cheered.

dodgy

Had a few comments from work colleagues, most recently from a guy who has literally just taken up cycling, he was lecturing me the other day that helmets should be mandatory.

There is no escape.

@downfader, your twitter stream seems to be a an ebay spamming tool of late, your account compromised? I had to unfollow.

J1780

Waste of time arguing the point with the cyclist haters. They are not for changing. For the most part they are ignorant clowns who are suffering from an overwhelming sense of entitlement a bizarre belief that they as in drivers and drivers alone paid for the roads through something called road tax whatever that is. These idiots also seem to believe that cyclists don't drive at all above all they are impatient and that's the real problem they are intent on getting where they want to go and to hell with everyone else. Its most likely they curse at slower drivers too mumbling some trash about 'them' re sitting the test. Cyclists are not blameless there's plenty of clowns on bikes too but these peoples attitudes towards cyclists won't change until something else comes along for them to rant about. Rant over. :smile:

Top Bottom