My workmate: "I think cyclists should be forced to use the cyclepaths and take a test"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
So in that case should we do away with the driving test? Testing to a basic minimum competence either is beneficial or it isn't.
Perhaps the benefit of ensuring competence is in some way proportionate to the degree of risk/danger that the road user wishes to introduce by his choice of vehicle.

So, for example, HGV drivers are currently held to higher standards than car drivers. Perhaps we should do away with that additional test if one size really does fit all kinds of road user?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Perhaps the benefit of ensuring competence is in some way proportionate to the degree of risk/danger that the road user wishes to introduce by his choice of vehicle.

So, for example, HGV drivers are currently held to higher standards than car drivers. Perhaps we should do away with that additional test if one size really does fit all kinds of road user?

What you're suggesting sounds very sensible to me. A level of testing linked to the risk/danger of the vehicle. Of course that would mean that cyclists would be subject to some testing

Ridelegalforfun

I may be one of only two regular cycle commuters in our office, but we get nothing but light-hearted banter and certainly no agro from non-cyclists. The security guard is from rural Somerset and can sound critical of riders among his horror at London behaviour on Southwark's roads, but it's the cabbies trying to door me, buses and vans failing to give way and pushy drivers abusing ASL and pinch points that I take on daily.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If the going rate to insure a new driver against third party claims is around £1000 and the equivalent insurance for cyclists comes free with a £30 membership of a cycling organization, and if the actuaries have at least a reasonable grasp of the comparative risks involved, what test regime do you think appropriate for requiring of cyclists?

Because my suspicion is that it would cost more to administer than any benefit resulting

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I would happily sit a cycling test. I see 20+ incidents of poor cycling (and an equal/greater amount of poor driving) in the city daily, and I believe a test would benefit cyclists and other road users alike if it were mandatory. A nominal fee could be charged, and those 'licensed' would then have 3rd party liability insurance for cycling included in their test fee. I also believe that all cycles should be registered with the DVLA or similar.

On the point of cycle lanes on public highways, I dont agree with them. I feel that they have created a them and us culture between cyclists and other road users.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I can't see how anything that discourages idiots from switching from car to bike is going to improve road safety

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If the going rate to insure a new driver against third party claims is around £1000 and the equivalent insurance for cyclists comes free with a £30 membership of a cycling organization, and if the actuaries have at least a reasonable grasp of the comparative risks involved, what test regime do you think appropriate for requiring of cyclists?

Because my suspicion is that it would cost more to administer than any benefit resulting

You're obviously a young guy if you think £1K is a normal 3rd party premium! £200-£300 is nearer the mark once you're knocking on a bit so you're probably talking about 10% of the cost for a cyclist for insuring the same risk. Obviously we are talking about the potential to cause damage here. Testing to mitigate risk of injury to the testee is a different matter

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I would happily sit a cycling test. I see 20+ incidents of poor cycling (and an equal/greater amount of poor driving) in the city daily, and I believe a test would benefit cyclists and other road users alike if it were mandatory. A nominal fee could be charged, and those 'licensed' would then have 3rd party liability insurance for cycling included in their test fee. I also believe that all cycles should be registered with the DVLA or similar.

On the point of cycle lanes on public highways, I dont agree with them. I feel that they have created a them and us culture between cyclists and other road users.
There is nothing stopping you from taking a training course now. The point is does it make things better, safer for the mode of transport you've chosen?

Lets take this down the mandatory route hypothesis. That would require a change in legislation to remove a cyclist's right to use a bike without said test. No matter what age. Legislation requires money - to both draft and test said law and to enforce it. IIRC the mobile phone ban whilst driving cost the taxpayer some £400m under the Blair adminstration. That was 10 years ago now. A similar law could cost double.

And we all know how little time the Police have for the current raft of people who drive whilst chatting on their phone...

Also remember the DVLA no longer really exist. Certainly not in the way it used to. It was chopped at and restructured recently. To bring in another potential 4 million or so cyclists into their records to be administrated and documented would take both an expensive transition period and the need for extra taxpayer's money.

Cycle lanes dont create the them and us. People do. People who wont educate themselves on modernity, eg how many drivers have reread the highway code? How many dog owners on animal legislation? How many bloggers on the communications act. I could go on... in reality a GOOD cycle lane or path (and christ knows there are many bad ones) actually makes towns and cities more efficient.

Dan B

Disengaged member
You're obviously a young guy if you think £1K is a normal 3rd party premium! £200-£300 is nearer the mark once you're knocking on a bit so you're probably talking about 10% of the cost for a cyclist for insuring the same risk. Obviously we are talking about the potential to cause damage here. Testing to mitigate risk of injury to the testee is a different matter
I said "new driver", not "someone who is knocking on a bit". That £30 third party cycle insurance is available to anyone over the age of 16

S.Giles

I've always thought that a compulsory refresher lesson (or two) for drivers every two or three years would be of great benefit. It would help correct bad habits and refresh the memory regarding various aspects of road safety (including regard for cyclists' welfare). If all is well, then the instructor (no need for an examiner to do it) would 'sign-off' the driver for another couple of years.

I'm guessing this has never been considered because it wouldn't be a great vote-winner for politicians, who are more concerned with their chances of being re-elected than they are with road safety.

Steve

classic33

Leg End Member
What you're suggesting sounds very sensible to me. A level of testing linked to the risk/danger of the vehicle. Of course that would mean that cyclists would be subject to some testing
Would the one test fit all cyclists?
Bear in mind that not all cyclists use two wheels. And should someone who cycles using a cargo cycle sit an additional test?

Top Bottom