My workmate: "I think cyclists should be forced to use the cyclepaths and take a test"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I had one of these when I had a proper job at nPower. I told her that I had taken a test. I took, and passed the cycling proficiency test in 1975. I also took and passed my motorcycle test in 1981 and, in addition, took and passed my car driving test in 2000. I suggested that when she had a driving licence and was no longer a passenger in a car or bus, she could then state her opinions on people's roadcraft.

Happily, I managed to say this into a 'hush' in the staff-room before work. Several people cheered.
My other workmate came out with the "you should pay roadtax" nonsense too this week. I asked her if she drove. She said no, her husband drives her everywhere. "So YOU personally dont pay any of this nonexistant tax?"

"No I don't.. wait what..? Nonexistant?"

I then informed her Churchill got rid of it in 1937. Both these women got VERY confused when corrected. My responses werent aggressive, just deadpan "not this again.."
I've also done cycle training. 1991. School teacher, ex advanced motorcyclist, pretty sure also an ex-copper,& big fan of vehicular cycling took us through what was essentially cyclecraft type material. Passed that first time. Probably the only time I can say that in my life, LOL

I often find at work that those who do not cycle are always up for an argument and have an opinion why they hate cyclists. I had a work colleague who for many a year was always up for an argument and always eager to vent his hatred towards me and cyclists in general. On the day of his retirement just before he left he came up to me and said he had a secret to impart....he had not only bought a bicycle but all the gear to go with it!! So i believe that those who say they hate cyclists do so out of a form of envy and sooner or later will not only agree with us but happily join us:bicycle:
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
- Gandhi

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think there is a logical argument for mandatory testing for cyclists. Every other (other than horse riders?) road user has to so why not? Basic stuff about road signs, road markings, safety awareness and a test of bike handling.

Cycle paths? Sure, when they are maintained and cleaned to the same standard as roads. Until then, no way

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think there is a logical argument for mandatory testing for cyclists. Every other (other than horse riders?) road user has to so why not? Basic stuff about road signs, road markings, safety awareness and a test of bike handling.

Cycle paths? Sure, when they are maintained and cleaned to the same standard as roads. Until then, no way
You could argue that many pedestrians dont seem to know what a green man signal is on that slant.... How far should we take this, or should we all just get off our backsides and read the highway code regardless? :thumbsup:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There are logical arguments for all sorts of things. Doesn't make any of them right or desirable.

That's correct. But if cyclists are going to rub along with other road users perhaps the argument for compulsory testing needs to be countered more effectively than just saying "no"

Drago

Legendary Member
And how will compulsory testing stop cars from left hooking cyclists, or make cyclists any more likely to use lights at night? Testing only works as a concept, a sop to appease the anti-cycling brigade rather than a genuine tool for changing the status quo.

The best and simplest way to deal with the anti cycling gobshites is to simply ignore them.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've had a few ignorant comments from work colleagues. I just ignore it really. I'm quite happy for a motorist to hate cyclists, as long as they don't express that hate through threatening behaviour on the roads.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

So if we have our triangular Cycling Proficiency still we are OK?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
And how will compulsory testing stop cars from left hooking cyclists, or make cyclists any more likely to use lights at night? Testing only works as a concept, a sop to appease the anti-cycling brigade rather than a genuine tool for changing the status quo.

The best and simplest way to deal with the anti cycling gobshites is to simply ignore them.

So in that case should we do away with the driving test? Testing to a basic minimum competence either is beneficial or it isn't. If it is, other road users should be subject to it , if it isn't then nobody should be

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
That's correct. But if cyclists are going to rub along with other road users perhaps the argument for compulsory testing needs to be countered more effectively than just saying "no"
..and that has been countered many times. The problem isnt the testing, its the mode of transport, the extra power, the exclusion from your environment, the ability to distract yourself....

..read Professor Ian Walker's articles and research on this.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
..and that has been countered many times. The problem isnt the testing, its the mode of transport, the extra power, the exclusion from your environment, the ability to distract yourself....

..read Professor Ian Walker's articles and research on this.

That's fine....I like nice, logical arguments to counter other arguments. I'll take a look. Why can't cyclists use stuff like that rather than just saying "no" or, even worse, using the "so you want pedestrians testing too, huh?" straw man. That sort of approach does the cycling community no favours

Top Bottom