My workmate: "I think cyclists should be forced to use the cyclepaths and take a test"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm actually disgusted by mjeone's posts on that thread you linked to. Are they a serving police officer or someone who wants to be? Either way I hate to think there are police officers, or potential police officers, with that attitude.

I was once told by a police officer (disclaimer: this may have been his opinion) that the speed limit is the maximum speed you're legally allowed to do, not necessarily the safest speed and not the speed you have to do for the full length of that limit. He said it may not be safe to drive at the speed limit on some sections of the road and it's up to the driver to adjust their speed accordingly rather than have speed limit signs for every twist and turn, especially on rural roads.
The only time a minimum speed is set by signs alone is when a Blue background is used.

The only time a minimum speed is set by signs alone is when a Blue background is used.

Blue background is advisory or information.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes, useful booklet. Interesting that the 3 signs re. cycle paths/routes on p136 are circular - does that mean they are 'must do'?
edit: p36

Last edited:
Or may be an indication that you're on the motorway

.. as in "advised' that you are on the motorway?

Blue circular sign, with a number on it, indicates the minimum speed limit.
Blue equals Must Do.

Blue DOES NOT equal "must do"!

Unless you "must park" when you see one of these?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0lhaNwy24G6UjXSyxgnAfkweoYgQbdeVRpMwXCnDTDWHu1LpT.png

.. and it is no wonder we are having a crisis in Casualty departments when everyone has to go to hospital when you see one of these:

500px-Mauritius_Road_Signs_-_Information_Sign_-_Hospital.svg.png

Even the blue circular signs are not "mandatory"

Circle blue signs mainly give a positive (mandatory) instruction (i.e. you must).An exception to this is the blue circle minimum speed limit sign (i.e. you must not travel at speeds shown unless it is unsafe or impractical to do so) the end of this restriction is denoted by the same sign with a red diagonal from the bottom left to the top right.

My emphasis

Last edited:
Top Bottom