My workmate: "I think cyclists should be forced to use the cyclepaths and take a test"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its more efficient for some categories of traffic offenders whether they are motorists or cyclists to go for a refresher or a test rather than vast majority of road users who know what they are doing.

There are 2 things that are a frequent bug bears of motorists -
  1. Cycle lanes / path - most cyclists use it when they are usable and safe. But many in the motoring community have no idea that some cycle paths and lanes are dangerous and thus the need to venture out. And also when they have to move to other lanes to execute turns or go past a stationary vehicle etc.
  2. The act of taking a primary - this is the least understood but probably the most important safety manoeuvre. Many motorists naturally think that cyclist must always be on the side.
What is probably required is focused education on the above 2 and an important part of the highway test.

Sweeping comments like cyclist have the right to use the entire road is not helpful. Even motorist do not not have the right to the entire road. A motorists cannot be on the right most fast lane if he or she is puttering along. Nor can they be between lanes.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I think there is a logical argument for mandatory testing for cyclists. Every other (other than horse riders?) road user has to so why not? Basic stuff about road signs, road markings, safety awareness and a test of bike handling.

Cycle paths? Sure, when they are maintained and cleaned to the same standard as roads. Until then, no way
At what age do we start with the mandatory testing given most people are pre ot very early school age when they learn to ride a bike: Can a 5 year old who can (maybe not should, but can) mix it with motor vehicles really be expected to get to grips with the highway code and perform in a test situation? Extreme e.g. But commensurate to passing a test at the outset of a driving career. Would you have sliding of responsibility for age and immaturity too or would an 8 year old be held and treated as legally/morally accountable as an 18 or 38 year old?

Not being facetious but cycling, like walking or horses on roads, doesn't require an age limit defined in law to begin. To go anywhere down that road would be disastrous all ways up and TBH as a driver I would not want the inconsistency of not knowing if I was coming up on an untested e.g. 15 year old on a bike or a tested 18 year old say. (not saying the tested rider would be better but its a whole other can of worms from both aspects then)

Dan B

Disengaged member
Obviously - HGC, like HGV drivers do ^_^
My cargo cycle transports passengers not goods. But they're friends and family members, not members of the public, so I don't think a PSC licence would be relevant. Can you advise on the appropriate test/training requirement?

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No idea - maybe a requirement for bikes above a certain weight? Can you drive an HGV on an ordinary licence if it's private use only? :unsure:> Need a tongue-in-cheek smiley!
edit - reply to Dan B above

A few years ago I was having a similar conversation when the resident meat head interjected with "why should people have to move over for cyclists? They're an obstruction and shouldn't be allowed on the road." I pointed out that when drivers see someone on a horse , which is undoubtedly more of an obstruction, they become all courteous and polite yet when they come across a cyclist which must be half the size (well I am anyway) they Seethe with anger at times and deliberately "punishment pass" etc. "A horse is in no way an obstruction on the road and they have every right to be there" was the response. Strange that when I pointed out that his daughter had a horse and regularly slowed the traffic around our local area that he became aggressive and threatened to punch my face off! Bizarre attitude towards cyclists never ceases to amaze me. What is the problem?

This is a bit of an aside, but can you find me anywhere in the Highway Code or in the legislation it references that the phrase "fast lane" is used?

Common sense and decency will tell you not to be on fast lane if you are slow and holding back others. Legislation and written rules have to cater for all of society including the less intelligent so we need to spell it out.

Dan B

Disengaged member
A few years ago I was having a similar conversation when the resident meat head interjected with "why should people have to move over for cyclists? They're an obstruction and shouldn't be allowed on the road."

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/19987-driving-too-slow/

I don't know where the obsession with "making progress" comes from. I was surprised at the emphasis on it when I was learning to drive, but tbh I am often tempted to behave exactly the same way when cycling. I think there's just something fundamentally attractive to the human pysche about momentum and the conservation of same.

Simontm

Veteran
Common sense and decency will tell you not to be on fast lane if you are slow and holding back others. Legislation and written rules have to cater for all of society including the less intelligent so we need to spell it out.
What Dan B is getting at is there is no such thing as a fast lane. Only overtake.

Highway Code:
On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

On a three-lane dual carriageway, you may use the middle lane or the right-hand lane to overtake but return to the middle and then the left-hand lane when it is safe.

My cargo cycle transports passengers not goods. But they're friends and family members, not members of the public, so I don't think a PSC licence would be relevant. Can you advise on the appropriate test/training requirement?

Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981
Section 1.1;

(1)Subject to the provisions of this section, in this Act " public service vehicle " means a motor vehicle (other than a tramcar) which—

(a)being a vehicle adapted to carry more than eight passengers, is used for carrying passengers for hire or reward; or

(b)being a vehicle not so adapted, is used for carrying passengers for hire or reward at separate fares in the course of a business of carrying passengers.
So if you stop charging your kids and family you should be fine!

andyfraser

Über Member
http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/19987-driving-too-slow/

I don't know where the obsession with "making progress" comes from. I was surprised at the emphasis on it when I was learning to drive, but tbh I am often tempted to behave exactly the same way when cycling. I think there's just something fundamentally attractive to the human pysche about momentum and the conservation of same.
I'm actually disgusted by mjeone's posts on that thread you linked to. Are they a serving police officer or someone who wants to be? Either way I hate to think there are police officers, or potential police officers, with that attitude.

I was once told by a police officer (disclaimer: this may have been his opinion) that the speed limit is the maximum speed you're legally allowed to do, not necessarily the safest speed and not the speed you have to do for the full length of that limit. He said it may not be safe to drive at the speed limit on some sections of the road and it's up to the driver to adjust their speed accordingly rather than have speed limit signs for every twist and turn, especially on rural roads.

Obviously - HGC, like HGV drivers do ^_^

We need to follow the model for commercial vehicles

Obviously a cargo bike fits into the two axle category for definition and cargo trikes into the 3 axle category. we can safely assume that int the case of the trike that two of the axles are "non-driving" as in most cases they have a single drive to the rear axle. Bikes would be the same with a single driven axle

Then there is the issue whether you are articulated (pull a trailer) for which you may need a different test from just the bike / trike

classic33

Leg End Member
We need to follow the model for commercial vehicles

Obviously a cargo bike fits into the two axle category for definition and cargo trikes into the 3 axle category. we can safely assume that int the case of the trike that two of the axles are "non-driving" as in most cases they have a single drive to the rear axle. Bikes would be the same with a single driven axle

Then there is the issue whether you are articulated (pull a trailer) for which you may need a different test from just the bike / trike
Four axles and have used a nine foot trailer. Overall length, just under 20 foot.

Top Bottom