Mystery eBay purchase: a Raleigh Record Sprint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
On Tuesday I bid on a mystery item on eBay; no description, no photos, 'drop handle' in the title with misspelt make, 0-rated seller with no other details, etc. However, it was a low start and I won with the only bid. Oh, and I only bought it for the wheels as I need a pair of 6-speed 700c ones. :thumbsup:

This lunchtime I collected it from a nice couple; they were selling it for his brother-in-law and clearly they weren't too interested in doing so.

It's a 501-framed 25" frame Raleigh Record Sprint, 12-speed 700c wheels with new Michelin tyres. It all works, if a little dusty. Weinmann black wheels, Weinmann gold brake levers and gold brake calipers, gold crank, all original ^_^ It just needs the two reflectors replacing, a gear cable re-aligning and that's it.
DSCF2150_zps9a8811f3.jpg

Plans ... well I'm far too small for it. It'll be serviced and back on the 'bay in a week.

Anyone who's got giant DNA and likes retro bling interested?

If it doesn't sell I'll keep the wheels and sell the components/frame seperately.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks like a real good un, I'd buy it but for a couple of thing like I'm skint and the hospital won't let me ride any bikes yet hence the trike purchase.
As for size I've got a Worksop Raleigh that size and have standover height with a 34" inseam so you don't need to be freakishly tall to ride it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Anyone who's got giant DNA and likes retro bling interested?

If it doesn't sell I'll keep the wheels and sell the components/frame seperately.

Well, it's my size, and it looks really nice, but I've already got a large (mine's 500, not sure what 501 is) 80s bike (this one). In a different world I'd love to give it a home. But not in the real one, unfortunately.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
That's a craker @DCLane . I'm guessing it's 85 or 86 as it's got the aerospace sticker and the black weinmann hubs. I'm just waiting for my decals to finish my 83 one. If that's an original seat I might be interested in it to purchase if your only going to eBay the bike as mine didn't have it's original seat and post. Don't worry if it's too much trouble to swap a seat or get another.

Last edited:

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
It just needs the two reflectors replacing

i have a white one Cateye RR-270 mounted on a Cateye H-8 headset bracket

any use - just PM your address

john

Squid lips

Ah my first bike. Had an 82 model 22 inch I think
Loved that bike memories of my teen age years .
Till some person of dubious parentage ie father nicked it 18 months later:sad::sad:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's in very nice condition. I wonder how long they made them for as there seem to be quite a few around as they come up with almost monotonous regularity on the Bay.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If that's an original seat I might be interested in it to purchase if your only going to eBay the bike as mine didn't have it's original seat and post. Don't worry if it's too much trouble to swap a seat or get another.

Tony - it's a Selle Italia suede and gold saddle but isn't perfect. If it doesn't sell on eBay as a whole I'll PM you with the details as I'd prefer to have a go selling it as a whole first.

It just needs the two reflectors replacing

i have a white one Cateye RR-270 mounted on a Cateye H-8 headset bracket

any use - just PM your address

john

Thanks John. I'll know by Monday as I've a few reflectors somewhere. If they don't work I'll be in touch.

@Hacienda71 - suggest it ... you never know. I'd offer to ride it over to you but I can't even get on :scratch:

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
This would be perfect for me and I'm also sans retro bike right now.

Sadly I'm also sans appropriate funding as well :sad:

That said I'd be VERY interested if you just want rid in giving you back what you paid for it without you even doing anything to it ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom