Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
standalone

This is my Dawes Shadow, at Keadby on FNRttC York-Hull this weekend.

From what I can make out it was a bottom of the range bike in about '85. It's Reynolds 500 which I think it basic non-butted tubing. I bought it about 4 years ago for £50 as a means to get back into cycling. It was in good nick and hadn't been ridden much, just stored.

I'm afraid I've taken a very non-retro-purist approach to it. I replaced the (steel) wheels and the brakes to give me a braking system that actually works. I've replaced the horrible suicide levers with some no-name aero ones that took a big bash in an off last year. They'll probably get replaced again soon. The whole drive train I replaced with some Shimano 8 speed MTB stuff and a compact chainset from Spa to enable me and my weedy legs to go up hills.

Last edited:

fossala

Guru
My Moulton TSR30

drwmgoC.jpg

Tonight I finally got to ride my new bike. I say new, its actually 20 years old. I have been slowly (and I mean slowly) getting it back to a useable bike after I left it in the garden to rot. The last time I used it was when I was hit from behind on a roundabout and that stopped me cycling for 15 years. I have used more modern parts on it than were available at the time, but nothing expensive, manily bits from other bikes I have. Its still not perfect, the gears do not index quite as they should (suspected bent front mech hanger bent from the last accident or maybe one of the two before that!) The bars and levers are not quite in the right position etc But do you know what? I had forgotten what a great bike it is to ride. Steel absorbs the bumps so much better than the carbon and aluminium frames I have ridden since back into cycling. It may be heavier and slower (although the ride home was at the same speed I do on my carbon DI2 equipped bike) but this one is here to stay.

WP_20140602_007_zps890d486d.jpg

WP_20140602_005_zpsc13b1947.jpg

WP_20140602_008_zps7b82f1f8.jpg
Bent hanger?

Sturmey_Hub

Über Member
It is surprising just how many of these photographs are taken inside somebody's home. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one with a bike shed.!

Yellow7

Über Member
It is surprising just how many of these photographs are taken inside somebody's home. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one with a bike shed.!

Most people are too focused on the subject and over-look the background (kitchen units, radiator, fence). Take the bike out for a spin and photograph it in it's real 'home', the countryside.

Top Bottom