Myths and Rebuttals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Kaipaith said:
The manual which came with my Giant advised riders to cycle as far to the edge of the road as possible.

:sad:

..hmmm.. seriously tempted to do a comedy video about "the real highway code" or something.. :wacko::tongue: Thought of it a couple of days back but Thomas and you have brought it back.

The Evil Rock DJ

Cycling at the edge of the road is a bit difficult around here. There are cars parked everywhere. Facing forwards, backwards, upside down, you name it. Honestly if they could park on top of each other, they would. Although it has to be said, a bicycle like a monster truck that can ride over cars does sound like fun.

thegrumpybiker

I very rarely ride on footpaths unless there is no other viable option, so I don't get told "Get off the pavement". However I have shouted several times to pedestrians "Get off the ****ing cycle track." I can't have been the only one.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
thegrumpybiker said:
However I have shouted several times to pedestrians "Get off the ****ing cycle track." I can't have been the only one.

Except of course that pedestrians are allowed on the cycle path, which would make those shouting this sort of thing louts at best.

thegrumpybiker

Maybe pedestrians are allowed to be on the cycle paths but when there's a perfectly good pavement next to it they're just dickheads who deserve to be shouted at.

Bman

Guru
Pedestrians are allowed anywhere, except motorways.

It would be nice if the "Cycle Highways" copied that rule :tongue:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
thegrumpybiker said:
I very rarely ride on footpaths unless there is no other viable option, so I don't get told "Get off the pavement". However I have shouted several times to pedestrians "Get off the ****ing cycle track." I can't have been the only one.

Perhaps you should remember that next time a motorist tells you to use the cyclepath, after you've used the road due to glass everywhere on the cp. :tongue:;)

My tact is to politely say "excuse me".

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
thegrumpybiker said:
Maybe pedestrians are allowed to be on the cycle paths but when there's a perfectly good pavement next to it they're just dickheads who deserve to be shouted at.

I'd accept that the pedestrians might not be very considerate, although the chances are they didn't even notice. However, your fault is far worse. +1 to Touche's comment.

PBancroft

BentMikey said:
I'd accept that the pedestrians might not be very considerate, although the chances are they didn't even notice. However, your fault is far worse. +1 to Touche's comment.

Indeed - I was walking along a pavement the other day when I saw an arrow pointing opposite to the direction I was travelling.

It took me a few moments before I realised I was walking on a cycle lane. The segregation of cycle lane and footpath was marked by slightly different coloured paving slabs.

I think the myth here is "Cycle Lanes are just for Cycles"

The rebuttal is "Don't be a dick"

PBancroft

Kaipaith said:
The manual which came with my Giant advised riders to cycle as far to the edge of the road as possible.

:biggrin:

Found it!

[quote name='Owner's Manual' date=' Giant, Version 8.0']B. Riding Safely
[...]
4. Ride in designated bike lanes, on designated bike paths or as close to the edge of the road as possible...[/QUOTE]

BentMikey said:

I find peds really irritating sometimes but I still try and be polite.
Sometimes they are nice back...sometimes they aren't.

GrasB

Veteran
thegrumpybiker, imo you're an idiot! yes peds can be annoying & totally oblivious to what they are actually walking on but as a car driver has a responsibility to take extra care around more vulnerable road users as cyclists we have a responsibility to take extra care around the vulnerable users of multi-use facilities.

I've always thought that segregated cycle ways should be cyclists only. Not that I believe this will ever happen. I also think that any path where you've got less than 2m width should never have anything resembling a recommendation for cyclists to use!.

Top Bottom