N+1 = MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thoughts on an entry level MTB as an N+1 , prefer a recognised brand (so not a decathlon or Halfords special unless you can convince me otherwise) and from a shop. Won't be treated especially hard, up to £300ish? Happy to buy a 2011 close out

I think at 5'10ish, would need a 19" frame from what I can tell

Something like these? I would prefer something with a slightly more feminine paint job than something black and blokey!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/myka-ht-2011-womens-mountain-bike-ec024967

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/willow-one-womens-mountain-bike-ec027474

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nothing wrong with Decathlon bikes.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a look, the one in my bduget is an ugly thing :laugh: Also, I am not that close to a store, I prefer to buy locally :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Hargroves have the myka in my size for 250 and could get evans to match. Decent bike or any other optinas, probably from evans?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair point, I would need to try - I am now riding a L Sirrus (58cm), while my road bike is a 54.5cm frame - I have no idea about MTB sizing. Also, it seems like women's bikes are adjusted (forks etc) for the lighter individual, which is not me, especially now having stuffed my face for the last few weeks and been on the scales :sad: So I may be better off with a men's frame?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the Sirrus as a winter hack, the carbon roadie as the sunny day toy, this would be an offroad bike. Not looking for another 'hybrid', but thanks for the suggestion (is a very good price for someone looking for a commuter though)

Zoiders

I would pick the Subway Disc suggested by others over the Giant as the wheelset and disc brakes are better, the fork on the Giant is more trouble/weight than it is worth, the Subs also got an 8 speed groupset as well which opens up options for upgrades with NOS from the cycle jumble and flebay, I think 8 speed Alivio/STX-RC/Deore/LX/XT kit was about the pinacle of quality and reliablity for the price.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_810737_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#dtab

Peteaud

Veteran
I would pick the Subway Disc suggested by others over the Giant as the wheelset and disc brakes are better, the fork on the Giant is more trouble/weight than it is worth, the Subs also got an 8 speed groupset as well which opens up options for upgrades with NOS from the cycle jumble and flebay, I think 8 speed Alivio/STX-RC/Deore/LX/XT kit was about the pinacle of quality and reliablity for the price.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_810737_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#dtab

Seeing as i bought the Giant today - now ya tell me lol.

Actualy looked at the Subway and liked it, and i agree about the fork on the Giant, but the Giant felt better, now thats my personal opinion and like i always say - dont choose until you have a go.

I liked the frame on the giant, the brakes are ok, mine need bedding in, and i can always change the fork, but i didnt want a rigid. The Subway is bloody good value for money and you cant go wrong, but at the price range its never going to be all singing and dancing.

Zoiders

The subways not far off being an all rounder to be honest, unless you are realy caining it you don't need suspension.

I ride sus on a hardtail of course but thats for blasting down a fire road at thirty odd miles an hour, it's all about how hard you push it, this doesn't however mean I think suspension makes a casual rider faster, it doesn't.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a quick look in Evans today - I quite like the look of the Pinnacle Willow versus the Myka as it has a lockout fork

However, I do wonder how much I will actually use an MTB when I already have 2 bikes :whistle:

Top Bottom