N+1 = MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
With your 33" legs I reckon the 18 won't be too big.

Put it this way: In 2009 I bought a Cube LTD Team. It had a more or less identical spec, except for the brakes and wheels, and cost £700 then. The Kona frame's a bit chunkier perhaps, but that's a temendous level of equipment for the money. It even has M505 clipless pedals!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Excellent clipless, so I can fall off...at least it'll be onto grass :laugh: Saddle is nasty with the tiger motif

How heavy do you reckon it'll be?

Peteaud

Veteran
It's very much the same as road bikes, in other words manufacturers source a frame, then equip it at various price points with varying (and often predictable) major components, then finish it off with little bits of flair in the finishing kit. SO, you'll find most bikes at the £300 price point have much the same drivetrain, forks, (brakes often differ) and alternate between budget main brand wheels/hubs and the occasional own brand masterpiece.

For every step change you'll be finding another £100-£150, so the next budget point will be £500, then £650, then £800 then £1000. If you think as a rule of thumb that the £300 bikes will have Altus drivetrain, Alivio on 500s, Deore on 650, SLX on 850 and (some) XT on 1000, and the forks will increase in spec too. So expect say RockShox Dart on £500, Rebas or fox floats on 1000 bikes and you start to see the picture.

The difference in frames will be subtle. Most will be using 6061 Alu progressing to 7005, with butting, double-butting and hydroforming appearing at the incremental points. Geometry will differ, with Euro-centric bikes being racier with steep head tubes for fire road speed, to slacker head angles and longer travel forks on Brit -centric trail bashers, so what you intend to ride will determine your choice. You sound like you would be looking for a 100mm travel XC bike, but don't ignore European "trekking" bikes.

The fact that they all use much the same kit will help you to narrow the choices down to simple stuff like colour, love at first sight and other niceties. Don't get hung up on finishing kit. most OEM stuff is pretty naff anyway, and you'll soon want to treat yourself to a nice pair of lock-on grips, or a nicer saddle, a wider pair of bars or a shorter stem, so don't base your choice on them necessarily!

Some brands tend to offer half a grade better kit than others (Cube spring to mind) where others appear, initially to be a bit dearer than others (Specialized a good example) at the price point.

Fork lockout is not as important as some would have you think. I rarely lock mine, and they are super plush. I simply alter my pedalling technique to keep the weight off the front. The only exception is steep tarmac climbs. Far more important is a half-decent set of forks with damping adjustment, so that your bike doesn't ping you off on the next rut.

Get discs if you can afford them. Full stop!

Good post

One thing to point out, its pretty easy to upgrade mechanical bits (to a point) so a good frame is a better starting point. Dont get to hung up over spec, its easy to splash out £200 extra just because its got xxx bits. My wifes old halfords special lasted 8 years and never went wrong! although it was very base spec, my more expensive bike needed much more work to keep it going.

Also bear in mind, todays base/mid range spec was yesterdays top of the range.

Mike!

Guru
I'd say be very careful with sizing. I quite recently brought a quality MTB on ebay blind and it's a little too big. Don't get me wrong I can ride it ok and am not uncomfortable but it's not that "chuckalbe" and as such i may try and sell it on again to get something a bit better fit.

Gutted? Yes as i doubt i'll find something as high spec for the price :unsure:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Not pressed go yet...have looked at the Evans site and they suggest 18" for 5'6-6'0, so am squarely in there. Another site says 5'8-5'10 for the 18"...at least there is consistency

Any other suggestions before I take the plunge (that said I am waiting for my new 0% interest CC to arrive) - always good if you don't have to pay for things immediately!

I don't think I am splashing out hundreds more for extra spec - still within my revised budget lol - I always love a bargain too (apparently the US MSRP was $1100)

Cheers all

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Do I really need a third bike - although I guess they do all do something different - carbon roadie, flat bar mudguarded & soon to be racked commuter and an MTB for erm...the rest of the time!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
OK, I just need to wait for the postie and my new CC!

Has anyone bought a bike from CRC before? Bearing in mind I am female, mechanically inept and only possess a multi tool and a few allen keys, how challenging will assembling the bike prove to be?

Top Bottom