N+1 = MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
It is hard to advice others which specific bike to buy, everybody having different priorities and all that, but what I can say is that Kona Kula Lisa's spec is absolutely outstanding for the price. Great choice!!

If I were you I would try my best putting it together. It shouldn't be too hard, and skills learnt will come useful in due course. If you encounter any problem there are always many here who are both very capable and willing to help.

The main thing that might be a problem buying mail order is the fit, although many components can be adjusted/swapped to suit.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I compared the geometry to the 17.5" Specialized I sat on yesterday and all the main sizes like TT and standover etc seem very similar if a few mm's smaller, which is fine

I am hoping I only have to add the pedals (do the M424s look ok?), fiddle a bit with the handlebars and the saddle! Although if the £40 comes with tweaking of gears and brakes, then it'll be worth the outlay (I have spent a lot of money with the LBS so I am sure they'll check it all over for me properly)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I am hoping I only have to add the pedals (do the M424s look ok?)

Now that you have got a good quality, and I expect fairly light bike (for a hardtail), it is probably best to keep it light, and those M424 pedals are a little heavy imho. Similarly I think the stock Ignitor tyres (and usually tubes also) are heavy, and if you want you can easily drop a pound there further down the line.

I believe the stock M505 pedals should come with detachable platforms (see pic below) as standard so they don't have to be used clipped in anyway, why not stick with them for the time being until you know what may suit better?

13837shimano_xxl.jpg

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah thanks for that - I thought they were the same pedals on my road bike which didn't have platformy bits (M520)

The A530 look nice too - 360g for the pair?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Yeah I happen to have a pair of A530 in one of my N bits boxes, they weigh 380g for the pair, not bad for what they are. The clips do get a little rusty, though not enough to affect functionality.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll have a ponder. Thanks for your help. I could stick my hybrid's pedals on the MTB and then the A530s on the commuter.

Actually... I think I may have a spare set of metal platform pedals in my box of bits

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, the Kona has been despatched via ParcelFarce :ohmy: Of course, it would be helpful to know when it may arrive...now assuming all goes to plan, having been collected from CRC in Belfast at noon today via PF's 48 hour service - am I right to assume it'll be here sometime on Thursday (I need to arrange to work from home)?

It won't turn up tomorrow will it? I can track on the PF website but based on an extremely poor experience with s*it*ylink this time last year, parcel tracking would appear to be a work of fiction at best!!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, the Kona has been despatched via ParcelFarce :ohmy: Of course, it would be helpful to know when it may arrive...now assuming all goes to plan, having been collected from CRC in Belfast at noon today via PF's 48 hour service - am I right to assume it'll be here sometime on Thursday (I need to arrange to work from home)?

It won't turn up tomorrow will it? I can track on the PF website but based on an extremely poor experience with s*it*ylink this time last year, parcel tracking would appear to be a work of fiction at best!!
I doubt it will be there before Thursday..... :hyper:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It's arrived and a massive box is now blocking my hallway - lucky I don't have to adhere to fire regs at home :laugh:

I'll try and get into it later - I have to go to work now boo hoo - and take some pics if I can sort it out

Am very glad I didn't get it delivered to work as normal - no way it would have gone in the car!!

:hyper:

Peteaud

Veteran
It's arrived and a massive box is now blocking my hallway - lucky I don't have to adhere to fire regs at home :laugh:

I'll try and get into it later - I have to go to work now boo hoo - and take some pics if I can sort it out

Am very glad I didn't get it delivered to work as normal - no way it would have gone in the car!!

:hyper:

nice one, keep us posted.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Just got it out the box - looks ok size wise - top tube same length as Sirrus

Excellent service from CRC

Just looking the goodies
Free multi tool :hyper:
Free front and rear lights :sun:
Bell :dance:
A little bottle of stuff with a health warning on label :ohmy:
and the pedals :bicycle:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Normal, a little one, 10 tools, allen keys?

Now the handlebars need setting, do I just loosten the hex on the top, turn around so straight and retighten?

Top Bottom