Name of a part wanted please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Can anyone tell me the name of the screws that go through the horizontal dropout to make wheel stops. Also are they special or are they a normal threaded screw.

Thanks.

Citius

Dropout adjusters. All the ones I've seen are standard metric.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Thanks gents. I have no idea what the frame is so am not sure offhand what size I need but have a fair selection of screws I can try until I find one that fits, then get the real thing.

Thanks gents. I have no idea what the frame is so am not sure offhand what size I need but have a fair selection of screws I can try until I find one that fits, then get the real thing.
Ideally they must have springs fitted to prevent them rattling loose. However, a bit of light threadlock will do the same trick. If your frame is steel, they're definitely M3, there's no space in most drop-outs for thicker screws. Thanks for the heads-up,Tim Hall. I've never seen M4s used in there.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
OK, they are definitely M3 as people have said. I have been looking on Ebay so I now know what I am looking for. One more question, does the spring go inside or outside the dropout? I suspect the outside. Thinking about it, does it really require a spring. What's wrong with a lock nut? (oops, that's two questions). I have had many bikes over the years and this is the first one I have had that has these screws. No screws came with the frame but thankfully the threads in the frame are clear and free. This is the tail end of the bike showing one side's dropout. I know there are no cables. When the photo was taken, I was just doing a dry assembly.
DSCN0499_zps3ngo9td5.jpg

The screw goes in from the back and the spring sits between the screw's head and the rear end of the dropout.

midlife

Guru
The spring goes inside the dropout, its convention to try and get the wheel as far forward in the dropout so its just about to fall out. Well it was back in the 70's as a way of shortening the wheelbase :smile:

Shaun

Steve Malkin

Veteran
I needed some of those myself a while ago and managed to win an eBay auction for a bag containing a dozen of them for less than it would have cost to buy two from a shop!

I now have 10 remaining in the bag that I will probably never use, so if you want to PM me your address Compo I'd be more than happy to stick a couple in the post to you

They look like this:

2015-04-25 21.32.36.jpg

Top Bottom