Name one thing that does not make sense in Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
cycling magazines and online retail sites describing £1000 road bikes as being entry level and for beginners.
Anything less is just a winter hack:

Pinarello-Dogma-3.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The 'AT' function of my Cateye cycle computer that I somehow inadvertantly switched off, and have just spent half the morning trying to figure out why the timer was still ticking over while stationary. Grrrrr. :cursing:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Hypocrisy

byegad

Legendary Member
The number of people who spend hours perched on a rock solid saddle, their weight on their arms and shoulders, and who then complain they are not comfortable.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[QUOTE 3415405, member: 9609"]I am guessing that the "AT" function stops the timer when the bike is stationary?
Using this function makes no sense to me at all, your average time is from beginning to end and you can't pretend that a half hour rest did not count. I'm sure I could manage 15+mph averages via "AT" which would sound a little more impressive than my typical 8mph.[/QUOTE]

You've picked on a minor bugbear of mine.

I find this a bit annoying, but it does actually make some sense. To me the primary measure is my real overall average including stops. This is how long it really took. Different gadgets will give different values for "moving average" depending on algorithm, settings etc (for example my Garmin is much stingier, and I gain a few km/h when I upload my ride to rideWithGPS). This undermines the idea that "moving average" is actually meaningful.

But "moving average" does make some sense, as a relative number, but not as an absolute number. If I go faster in the bits while I'm moving I get a higher moving average. So it is a relative measure of speed over a given route, independent whether I spent 20 or 30 minutes eating my sandwiches. So it's good for comparing rides over a given route. But it's not so useful for planning a ride.

The key thing is, as you've pointed out, that it sounds more impressive.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3415405, member: 9609"]I am guessing that the "AT" function stops the timer when the bike is stationary?.[/QUOTE]

Yes I think that's correct. For some reason I must have always had the AT thing on and never really though about it. I'm not really that bothered about my speed (which varies from slow, down to crawling pace!) and certainly not my average speed. I just assumed the device was buggered yesterday when I looked at it on my kitchen table and the timer was still going. How I'd managed to switch the AT thing off I'll never know as it was a bit of a convoluted process to get it back on again.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Compact chainsets, particularly those with a 50/34 set up.
White handlebar tape.
People that ride with their chain on big chainring to big sprocket or small to small [see first point].
High cost of bike tyres.
Sportives.

Apologies, you asked for one thing, could have continued.
I don't make sense :smile: But I knew that anyway.

Compact? Got one. Two, in fact.
White bar tape? Not guilty. I do have lime green though, so I'm counting that.
Cross chaining? Do that from time to time. Not intentionally, but it happens, esp big-big when changing down to stop.
Expensive tyres? Well, I buy tyres, so I guess that's me.
Sportives? Doing one next year.

I don't make sense :smile: But I knew that anyway.

Compact? Got one. Two, in fact.
White bar tape? Not guilty. I do have lime green though, so I'm counting that.
Cross chaining? Do that from time to time. Not intentionally, but it happens, esp big-big when changing down to stop.
Expensive tyres? Well, I buy tyres, so I guess that's me.
Sportives? Doing one next year.
Thank you for the reply even though it wasn't necessary.

Top Bottom