Name one thing that does not make sense in Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
So why not have a contraption to stop the chain coming of the small sprocket, and on the chainset fit a contraption to stop the chain coming off at each end of its travel (in case the front dérailleur is not adjusted correctly), and fit an extra brake on each wheel in case the 1st one doesn't work.
I am not advocating that you retrofit one; I am simply saying that if one is fitted when you get the bike why go to the trouble of removing it? Especially for the very limp reason that it doesn't look cool. I mean what actual harm is it doing?

Studley

Middle-aged Newbie's cycling 50+ miles, 4+ times a week, at an average speed in excess of 15mph, for the past 2-3yrs !

Mudguards on a frame that is not designed for them.
All the mamils out last weekend with filthy bikes and brown smears up their backs because they (presumably) did not want mar their bicycles with mudguards.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Why my family dont understand that just commuting to work is not enough and i want a longer weekend ride , been 2 months now i bet since i went out as they always plan something .........

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I came across this the other night while driving my car to the supermarket. Guy had 2 of the brightest lights I haver ever seen on any road vehicle mounted on his bars both strobing at different rates and shining directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers. I had to look away they were so intense. I was then in danger of hitting something.( possibly him) Absoutly stupid behaviour, which I am sure if the rider realised t chaos he was causing would not engage in.

Y'know, maybe if someone took the time & told him directly..........

A fellow cyclist maybe who can also speak from a drivers point of view.......

and maybe offer a couple of minutes to enable him to get the angle right to be seen but not a dazzling nuisance.........

Fingers crossed he reads CC and realises who you're referring to.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Good point and I agree with you. However in that situation I was at a busy junction and if I'd rolled the window down and called out to him from across the road I'd just be another aggressive car driver shouting at him. I have also mentioned this incident at two local cycle groups participate in and hope the message gets around that these lights mounted in that way do more harm than good.
I will take your advice though and try to talk to any riders I see doing it again. I will report back if I get punched out by them.

Top Bottom