Named and shamed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Yes, you are right. On a motorcycle, there are two roller chains. The one drives the rear wheel. It is relatively long and beefy and the one end wraps around a large sprocket (large sprockets are kinder on chains). It is exposed to the elements and lasts about 3500km t0 5 000 kms depending on the conditions. Inside that same bike's engine, is a short chain, wrapped around two sprockets. This chain lasts the lifetime of the engine. All because it runs in filtered oil.

Although it could be said that if that second chain breaks, that's the end of that engine's life.

Venod

Eh up
Don't know about naming & shaming but there is nothing wrong with recommendations.

I have had several Shimano chains fail, I have never had one failure with a KMC chain, no idea if they are made in the same factory or not its just a fact and the reason why I now buy only KMC chains.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't know about naming & shaming but there is nothing wrong with recommendations.

I have had several Shimano chains fail, I have never had one failure with a KTM chain, no idea if they are made in the same factory or not its just a fact and the reason why I now buy only KTM chains.

KMC not KTM. Hang your head in shame :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
We're not in the Top 10 yet.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm also happy enough with the length of time my components last. I clean my bikes after every ride

Same here.

It's easy enough to understand the trade-off between light weight and durability when buying the bike.

It's also easy enough to choose a bike with longer lasting components, if that's what you want.

Red17

Veteran
Yes, you are right. On a motorcycle, there are two roller chains. The one drives the rear wheel. It is relatively long and beefy and the one end wraps around a large sprocket (large sprockets are kinder on chains). It is exposed to the elements and lasts about 3500km t0 5 000 kms depending on the conditions. Inside that same bike's engine, is a short chain, wrapped around two sprockets. This chain lasts the lifetime of the engine. All because it runs in filtered oil.

No cam chain on a 2 stroke - they replaced it with a powerband

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No cam chain on a pushrod engine either.

Well, there was a timing chain which spun the cam, which is fairly close.

pushrodengine1.jpg

Top Bottom