Named and shamed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This is a good point. Cars have got more and more reliable?

The engine timing chain ran in oil and would often have a tensioner built in and if neglected would continue to run quite happily, getting noisier and noisier, giving plenty of warning of an impending failure at high mileages. The modern engine has 'progressed' from this primitive technology and now has a timing belt. These are efficient and precise. The downside is that they need expensive replacement at frequent intervals and if neglected will fail catastrophically without warning, often writing off an otherwise healthy engine. Is this an improvement for the end-user?
Yes, and a tiny little electronic box with the computing power of your average pocket calculator can write a car off at six or seven years old because a replacement is more than the car is worth.

@paul fellows , if you own a car , may i ask if it has ever broke down
if you own a washing machine , has it ever broke down
has anrthing you have ever owned bro.......

can you see where this is going yet :okay:

BigCoops

Over the past 50 years the reliability of cars has improved a lot, the reliability of bikes has not. And according to Globalti on this thread durability may have even gone down. If bikes had shown he same level of improvement as ca have, then those who want them could have fool proof bikes. And the racers could have the choice between the extra weight of a better chain or a light chain and the extra weight of a chain tool.

I've been riding on and off for 30 years plus, riding everyday (as good as) for the last 5 years, I've never had any bike component fail catastrophically apart from (and generally due to my own stupid fault) mech hangers, which is their reason for being.

I've had wear, I've had regular service changes of chains, cassettes and brake pads, so in my cycling life, I've suffered no catastrophic failures in 30 years, pretty difficult to find better reliability than that.

You do change the oil, the tyres, the spark plugs in your car no?

Changing a cassette and chain is exactly the same principle and probably costs less for parts and labour.

Consumable or sacrificial parts, with a service or recommended life, designed to provide the best trade off between practicality and durability and requiring regular replacement to prevent bigger further problems.

Yes, you are right. On a motorcycle, there are two roller chains. The one drives the rear wheel. It is relatively long and beefy and the one end wraps around a large sprocket (large sprockets are kinder on chains). It is exposed to the elements and lasts about 3500km t0 5 000 kms depending on the conditions. Inside that same bike's engine, is a short chain, wrapped around two sprockets. This chain lasts the lifetime of the engine. All because it runs in filtered oil.

Errr, they last a hell of a lot longer than 3500-5000km.
Thats 2000-3000 miles btw.
I expect mine to last at least 8-12k miles if looked after properly.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Yeah... And my knees are knackered too.

My age, and years of rugby and martial arts have nothing to do with it they were obviously not designed for the job and I'm going to sue the bastard designer as soon as I work out who she is....

screenman

Legendary Member
I once had to scrap a Ford Capri because of a spark plug fault.

A piston hit it.

that was likely because somebody put a champion spark plug in at instead of the Autocraft one, Champions made the piston burn out due to causing higher temperature in a very small area. Spent a few of my working years fixing lots of them.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
that was likely because somebody put a champion spark plug in at instead of the Autocraft one, Champions made the piston burn out due to causing higher temperature in a very small area. Spent a few of my working years fixing lots of them.
No, it was because the engine suffered a massive internal disintegration at an "interesting" speed.

As It happened completely without warning the damn thing must have been made of carbon fibre.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
No, it was because the engine suffered a massive internal disintegration at an "interesting" speed.

As It happened completely without warning the damn thing must have been made of carbon fibre.
I had a Montego do that to me on the M62. It left lots of oil and bits of metal behind and the recovery truck took me straight to the scrappers.

I was on my way back from an interview that I failed too. Good day all round really.

Top Bottom