National Cycle Network - some paths not very good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sustrans cannot even tell you what the surfaces of their network are. So bad is their admin and ability to present the information. Needs to be minimum standards like they do for road building and compliance needs to be reported publicly. Not just width, and surface standards but also ones for accessibility, acceptable barriers, road crossings, mimi um lengths. All that fail should be struck off any that counted towards council grants.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
So we ride on the road and have to work our way though and be on the look out the ever growing pot holes and crumbling road net work. Well at the same time watching our backs for the planks in the tins boxers.

So we go off road on to a highway made for cycling only to find that it's not much better than the pot hole roads we took to the cycle network to avoid in the 1st place. Even if we do find a good bit the path maybe blocked so we have to carry our bike over them.

We just can't win can we ?

tom73

Guru
Forgive my question but as a newbie I want to check if I have this right.
National Cycle Network is it just a miss-mash of local authority paths under a united name?
Or is it a mix of local authority and Sustrans ownership with no one really taking ownership or over sight of it?

Drago

Legendary Member
Imagine Chris Grayling spent several years eating random meals of tarmac, paving slabs, and clay based mud. Attach wheels to him and wheel him about at random while he poops out various different surfaces. For a bit of light relief throw in the of odd random anti motorcycle obstacles so I can't push Mrs D's wheelchair down them. Then drop a tactical nuke on it, and rebuild it using digestive biscuits mortared together with prit stick, and it would still be better and more conveniently placed than the real thing.

lane

Veteran
Done on the cheap obviously. The answer
National Cycle Network is it just a miss-mash of local authority paths under a united name?
Or is it a mix of local authority and Sustrans ownership with no one really taking ownership or over sight of it?

I am no expert but I don't think Sustrans own any of the paths (stand to be corrected) otherwise you are spot on. Mish mash with no real ownership is just about right.

I do have a lot of time for Sustrans and the work they do ( I don`t work for them I hasten to add). I live right on NCN 1 and have seen the upgrade in the paths over the years but sometimes they manage to shoot themselves in the foot. With Sustrans help, a small section of cycle path has been built west out of West Barns (virtually Dunbar) in East Lothian. A lovely new surface was laid except that all the man-hole covers on the stretch of path are 2/3" above the surface so you have to be wary or you`ll go arse over, er, elbow!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd like to say that there is nothing wrong with NCN 68 through Hebden Bridge ...

That Chris Froome couldn't cope with on the way up and a kamikaze downhill mountain biker with a death wish would be worried about on the way down! :laugh:

buttress.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
It's a mix of owned and maintained (or not maintained:sad:) by the local authority or trunk road authority with a small proportion owned by Sustrans and maintained by Sustrans volunteers. Sustrans have undertaken to provide mapping of the entire NCN regardless of ownership of individual route sections.
Some route sections not owned by Sustrans, are inspected by Sustrans volunteers who report the defects they find to the appropriate authority, but these reports are usually ignored.AFAIK.

I'd like to say that there is nothing wrong with NCN 68 through Hebden Bridge ...

That Chris Froome couldn't cope with on the way up and a kamikaze downhill mountain biker with a death wish would be worried about on the way down! :laugh:

View attachment 438301

I like that "Unsuitable for motors" but fine for people who use muscle power. Obviously our safety isn't as important.

[QUOTE 5438986, member: 9609"]NCN1 just south of berwick, this is a good day as it's often full of coo's
View attachment 438303

If you get into a panick with the cows, you have two options, climb over the wall to the right and dodge the trains on the east coast mainline, or, jump 100' off the cliff to the left into the north sea.[/QUOTE]

To be fair our local authority spent about 12 years alternating between insisting a very similar field (sans cliff and cows) was a cycleway and promising to surface it 'next year'. Eventually they made the worlds most expensive cycle path: 50 000 € for a gravel path 50cm wide and perhaps 300m long...

Top Bottom