National Cycle Network - some paths not very good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Photos can be uploaded to www.cyclestreets.net/photomap/

What needs to happen for cycle.travel/map to offer a link to search that and not only geograph and Google?

It would probably need a new API call on the CycleStreets side of things - when you look for Geograph photos, cycle.travel searches along the polyline of the currently selected route leg, whereas the CycleStreets API seems to only permit querying at a single lat/long point. I'm a bit tied up with other cycle.travel stuff at the moment but will give it some thought!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It would probably need a new API call on the CycleStreets side of things - when you look for Geograph photos, cycle.travel searches along the polyline of the currently selected route leg, whereas the CycleStreets API seems to only permit querying at a single lat/long point. I'm a bit tied up with other cycle.travel stuff at the moment but will give it some thought!
Looks to me like you can search within a boundary polygon in their API version 2 https://www.cyclestreets.net/api/v2/photomap.locations/ but I guess it'll take a bit of testing to decide how much to broaden the polyline of the route leg by.

swansonj

Guru
If so, then that's wrong. All of the cycleable NCN are roads in law. Even the bridleways are legally roads IIRC - just not carriageways. The only bits that aren't are some of the farking shoot bits which you aren't allowed to cycle on - and even some of those are roads restricted to walkers only.
It’s a fair cop in terms of the legal definitions of the terms. I think that what I meant was conveyed more clearly by my everyday use of the terms than it might have been by more legally precise terms, but nonetheless, I put my hands up.

mjr

It’s a fair cop in terms of the legal definitions of the terms. I think that what I meant was conveyed more clearly by my everyday use of the terms than it might have been by more legally precise terms, but nonetheless, I put my hands up.
Sorry if I was harsh - as hinted earlier, I do get a bit irritated by Sustrans's abuse of the terms "off-road" and "traffic-free" to mean different things to their everyday meanings, so hearing that they may now be abusing "road" as well is a bit :cursing:

I think last I knew, something over 60% of the NCN was on quieter roads, which shouldn't be surprising because so is much of the Netherlands cycle network and even more of the Flemish, but they're mostly roads which have been dead-ended for motorists, often with low speed limits and other restrictions, or markings that make it clear they're cycle routes - by contrast, I suspect far too much of the NCN is on unadapted 60mph rural roads.

And if it can be pulled off it'd be genuinely exciting - not just rebalancing the minor roads used by the NCN back towards cyclists, walkers and horse-riders, but setting a template for the rest of the minor road network. There's some really interesting good practice in this area in Europe, not just in the Netherlands but Germany, France ("chaucidous") and so on.

Alan O

Über Member
That sounds like the bit on my commute. If you come up the canal lock 'steps' (you can ride up there) then if you look at sort of 1.00 you'll see a cobbled ramp. Take that, then turn left at the top. Left on Northgate Street (two way to cyclists, one way to vehicles) go through the lights, then take the second right, past Tesco express. Follow that road round the corner, take the left and go past the new bus station on your left. At the bottom of that road (George Street) turn right, go over Cow Lane Bridge and you can re-join the canal there. Head away from the bridge (without going under it) and you'll go towards Boughton, Vicars Cross and the A41. The canal path is paved to Waverton, after that it's not much different to riding across a field until you get to Hurleston junction, with just the odd paved bit along the way. There's a cracking pub at the side of the Shropshire Union near Beeston called The Shady Oak if you need a 'reason' for a pint or several!
Apologies if you already knew all this by the way.
Great, thanks - I particularly like nice pubs close to canal towpaths and other cycle routes :okay:

lane

Veteran
There is a lane aground here which is very popular with cyclists - only really wide enough for one car width, which was sort of closed to motor vehicles for a while - in that you couldn't get from one end to the other - so was only used by motor vehicles who need to access properties on the road itself. Cyclists, walkers and horse riders could travel the whole length. It seems to have been opened up again now. However maybe a model for the NCN?

I noticed in Holland that on road cycle routes often have reasonably wide cycle lanes either side of the road so effectively reducing the road to a single carriageway, where motor vehicles can find it difficult to pass each other if the cycle lane is in use by cyclists- again maybe a model for NCN.

Basically on road cycle lanes could be a lot better providing there is a willingness to seriously inconvenience motorists.

swansonj

Guru

I noticed in Holland that on road cycle routes often have reasonably wide cycle lanes either side of the road so effectively reducing the road to a single carriageway, where motor vehicles can find it difficult to pass each other if the cycle lane is in use by cyclists- again maybe a model for NCN.

Basically on road cycle lanes could be a lot better providing there is a willingness to seriously inconvenience motorists.
I completely agree with you. But why a model just for the NCN? That should be a model for roads (Sorry, “highways”) in general.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member

They've recently done that on the approach to my 'other' home town, Die, in France. Unscientifically, my experience has been that is has radically altered motorists' behaviour around bikes for that (500m) stretch: it makes the road appear to be single lane (there is no longer a dotted white line in the middle), and drivers therefore seem to wait until there is nothing coming the other way before overtaking cyclists. When there re no cyclists in either direction, motorists use the 'cycle lanes' so it is two-way traffic. As intended.

classic33

Leg End Member
"Bridleways are also footpaths, but additionally users are permitted to ride or lead a horse, and ride bicycles. Horse drawn vehicles are not allowed. This may not include other animals, although a donkey or mule is classed as a horse for these purposes. Cyclists must give way to pedestrians and horseriders. Motorcycling is not allowed. Bridleways are not necessarily surfaced, and because of this a well used bridleway can sometimes be effectively impassable for pedestrians."

mjr

They've recently done that on the approach to my 'other' home town, Die, in France. Unscientifically, my experience has been that is has radically altered motorists' behaviour around bikes for that (500m) stretch: it makes the road appear to be single lane (there is no longer a dotted white line in the middle), and drivers therefore seem to wait until there is nothing coming the other way before overtaking cyclists. When there re no cyclists in either direction, motorists use the 'cycle lanes' so it is two-way traffic. As intended.
Let's go the whole hog:
gentbs2.jpg

http://bloft.lu/bicycle-streets-in-gent/

Top Bottom