National Insurance question

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Davos87, 14 Jun 2018 at 13:28.

  1. Davos87

    Davos87 Über Member

    North Yorkshire
    I would be greatly obliged if anyone can inform me if when you’re in full time education ie doing a degree for 3 years, that you get your national insurance contributions paid that go towards your state pension?
    I have looked on The yougov pension website at my forecast and I am a few years short of the full 35years and those years I was at university have not been credited? I am quite prepared to buy a few years back but cannot get the above question asked satisfactorily. I have written to my local pension office but had no reply, I have emailed but not been acknowledged and I have tried ringing a couple of numbers but frustratingly keep getting passed from pillar to post, speaking to an automated reply, pressing different numbers for depts that can’t help even one lady telling me I need to contact the Job Centre which I did and they said they didn’t know why I was told that. I did think that you did get them credited as my wife has 43 years contributions 3 of those when she was at university in the 70s. I will be eligible for my state pension in 3 years time but I really need a definitive answer to base future decisions on.
    Thanks for any advice that can be offered.
  2. marinyork

    marinyork Resting in suspended Animation


    However I am sure someone will be here soon with direct number they have called which people seemed to think was useful.
  3. glasgowcyclist

    glasgowcyclist Bang on!

    According to , a student is not exempt from NI contributions.

    You don't start paying National Insurance until you're over 16 years old. Students who are older than this are not exempt. If they earn enough, they pay like any other worker.
    If students don't do paid work, they are not credited with NICs for the years they are studying.
    This creates a 'gap' in their contributions record, though most will still work for enough years after qualifying to merit a full state pension.
    Regulator likes this.
  4. Regulator

    Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

    If you are not working then you do not pay National Insurance. If you don't do paid work (over the threshold) whilst at university you do not get 'credited' with NI contributions. You'll end up with a gap in your contributions record but most people work for sufficiently long afterwards for it not to matter.

    You can get NI credits if you're unable to work due to illness or a carer. Otherwise, you can elect to pay voluntary contributions.

    The full details on NI credits are here.
  5. glasgowcyclist

    glasgowcyclist Bang on!

  6. OP

    Davos87 Über Member

    North Yorkshire
    Thanks for all the very swift and informative replies. I have done a bit more research and it seems to bear most of the above out. Yes @glasgowcyclist I was at uni 1989 to 1992 as a mature student. The only anomaly I don’t get is why my wife is not 3 years missing while at university?
    Again much appreciated.
  7. annedonnelly

    annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

    Perhaps your wife had a part-time job while at university and paid NI contributions.
    glasgowcyclist likes this.
  8. midlife

    midlife Veteran

    Just out of curiosity I tried to find out how much the state pension reduces by for each missed year of NI and it doesn't seem very clear. Is there a chart somewhere?
  9. glasgowcyclist

    glasgowcyclist Bang on!

    How many years of full contributions do you have and were you ever contracted out of the state pension in any previous employment?

    The rough guide is to multiply the number of years of contributions you have by £4.70 to give you your possible monthly WEEKLY pension.

    In my case, my record shows I have over 40 years of contributions but I was contracted out in previous employment so actually have a shortfall of two years to make up before I will get the full pension.

    Edited to correct a mistake: I stated monthly when I should have written weekly.
    Last edited: 15 Jun 2018 at 07:45
    midlife likes this.
  10. midlife

    midlife Veteran

    Blimey, so someone with 10 years contributions gets about 50 quid a month
  11. Smokin Joe

    Smokin Joe Legendary Member

    £47.50 a week.
  12. Regulator

    Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

    Are you talking about contracting out of the main state pension or SERPS? Most people only contracted out of SERPS.
    glasgowcyclist likes this.
  13. midlife

    midlife Veteran

    My original question didn't apply to me, I was just curious how lack of NI contributions affected the state pension..... It can affect it quite a lot it seems!
  14. glasgowcyclist

    glasgowcyclist Bang on!

    You're right, I meant SERPS.
  15. MontyVeda

    MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

    checked mine today (thanks to this thread) because I know I've missed a few years.... 29 in the bag, 4 missed, 18 to go... unless they up the retirement age again.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice