National Insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like it is worth looking into - the cost is a bit of time and admin, and if it could apply it'd be a bit of a win! From the guidance notes, they say:
You need to meet certain conditions for HRP to be transferred. These are:
• you reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2008 or, in the case of a
bereavement benefit claim, your spouse or civil partner died on or after that date
• the Child Benefit claimant cannot themselves benefit from HRP because their
earnings were equal to or above the qualifying earnings factor for that year
• you were living with the Child Benefit claimant for the relevant period and you
were sharing the care for a child under 16
• you would have been able to get Child Benefit if your spouse, partner or civil
partner had not been awarded it
• you are a family member who cares for a child under 12 where you are related to
the child, you can apply for Specified Adult Childcare credits instead
Go to
www.gov.uk/boost-state-pension/overview
for more information.
so if your partner was earning, and has a full years NI through their employment for the relevant tax years, it does seem likely!

I knew about the NI protection for carers in receipt of CHB, but I didn't know that a transfer could be applied for retrospectively and especially going back so far if it was for HRP pre 2010. It makes perfect sense though, as for much of the time period they are talking about it would likely have been assumed that primary carers would be mums and mums would get the CHB. Going back to 2001, I know that I got the form in my hospital 'bounty pack' that I was given on the maternity ward so it seems obvious I'd be the one applying - I think it probably did say about HRP on it, because I must have 'known' that went with the CHB from somewhere. With my second, a few years later, I never got round to applying for CHB until they were about 5 because I left the hospital so quickly, direct from the labour ward a couple of hours after he was born, that I didn't get the pack :biggrin: I still have the HRP for the bits of my maternity leave with no NI contributions made though, because I had a live claim for CHB for my eldest.

I can well imagine that there's a few households, including of course ones like yours full time SAHdads, from around the time that will have missed out and it's only right to put that right and protect their pension entitlements.

I'll have a virtual OJ&soda - since it's a (non-virtual) school night :smile:

OP
OP
Davos87

Davos87

Guru
Followed the link and filled in the form. Looking at some of the notes attached to the form it does seem I fit the criteria so it will be a very welcome bonus if I get these years credited.
Maybe it’s just me but I have looked quite thoroughly on the gov.uk site and never once come across the link to that form so thanks again and I do hope that it can help other individuals in a similar position. Some really nice people populate this board.

OP
OP
Davos87

Davos87

Guru
Just a quick update. Filled in the form that you @User10119 & @Mr Celine kindly pointed me in the direction of. Received a letter today from HMRC confirming that I have been credited with 6 missing years of NI contributions I missed out on whilst I was home looking after our baby son and my wife worked full time. I now have a full 35 years of contribution which will now entitle me to a full pension when the time comes.
Just wanted to say again thanks for the advice and assistance to you two in particular and all the other helpful contributions on this thread. Very much appreciated.

Top Bottom