Nationwide FlexPlus current account - travel insurance policy change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbird

Über Member
This will only be of interest to you if you have a Nationwide FlexPlus account and you don’t want to be compelled to wear a cycle helmet when on holiday (in the UK or elsewhere, unless local laws dictate otherwise).

The policy wording for the travel insurance is changing; I received mine in the post last week. You will now be required to wear a helmet when cycling; otherwise you will not be covered. See the section on “Included Activities and Hazardous Activities – Page 10”.

If you disagree with this change then :-
  1. Call Nationwide on 0800 11 88 55. Make the complaint and insist they record it on their “Brilliant Basics” system. Complaints on this system get reviewed. Also let them know that competitor current account products from NatWest, Lloyds and TSB do not have the same condition in their travel insurance. And let them know that the NatWest policy is underwritten by the same insurance company as the Nationwide policy, namely UK Insurance so why is there a difference in wording
  2. If you are a member write to CyclingUK (cycling@cyclinguk.org) and ask for some support from them in getting Nationwide to change their mind. Remember that the policy of CyclingUK is pro-choice when it comes to helmets.
Let's not make this thread a for/against helmets thread though please. I just want to support pro-choice rather than compunction.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
. They also insist you wear a lifejacket if you take a dip in the pool.

If like me you don't hold a Nationwide Flex account you could write saying you considered one but were put off by the clause.

Last edited:
I've just read this anyhow but looked again at the policy document and the current one only refers to off road mtn biking which is not covered anyway unless you take out the hazardous sports extension which compels you to wear a helmet. I see nothing about cycling in general.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Quite a few of these so called free holiday covers exclude almost evertyhing you might reasonable do. Signed up for a natwest thing, not the version with holiday insurance, but some kind of cash back for dd payments. Then spotted the monthly fee was higher than agreed but included free insurance. However even though diving was so say inlcuded , it was very limited,and I think pretty much everhting else was excluded. Fair enough a limited cover for "normal" holidays, bit when you find that most normal diving is actually excluded you could be really snookered if you naievely relied on it. Cancelled the whole thing

You do still have a choice though. To not insure via Nationwide.

Just as Nationwide have the choice to not insure people without a helmet.

toffee

Guru
This is of interest to me as we have nationwide account and use their insurance when abroad. I'll be giving them a ring to ensure they cover cycling touring so that will be one of the question

toffee

Guru
Ok just read the policy under cycling it does not mention a helmet
Screenshot_20170717-063603.png

Under hazardous activities it does

Screenshot_20170717-063622.png

Just got to check they still cover cycle touring

toffee

Guru
Called nationwide insurance, there is no change to the policy. Cycling touring is covered as a mode of transport and has no special requirements.

It is only an issue, as per the policy where it is under a hazardous activity, and this has a helmet requirements.

Top Bottom