Navigation and music on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am looking into using a spare Galaxy s5 with Osmand mapping app whilst on tour. I have a spare phone handy but the voice instructions are not loud enough when the phone is in the case ( a few quid off eBay)

Just also got for a fiver off eBay is one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262002213851?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT amazingly good bit of kit for a fiver and have tried it out strapped to the helmet and seems ideal

Could also serve to play music or podcasts etc on tour if you don't want to wear headphones.

Currently I use a Garmin 1000 and paper maps for navigation so all the above is a vague attempt to see how the S5 would replace that. My holy grail is screen with map and directions and decent voice controls!

(If you want a discussion about helmets or headphones feel free to start another thread!)

Reactions: mjr
I've been using osmand and headphones for at least 5 years, and more recently a Bluetooth headset. Works very well. Podcasts too.

I've configured osmand to turn on screen for five seconds at each instruction, saving battery. But I still need an external power supply to gp all day.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've configured osmand to turn on screen for five seconds at each instruction, saving battery.
Oooh that's a new feature since I started using it! I'll have to look for that. My Sony Xperia Tipo is happy enough navigating and tracking all day on one charge, although I don't look at the screen much. I'm using a bluetooth speaker too but if I'm playing music instead of navigating, I tend to use the microSD card.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I've been using osmand and headphones for at least 5 years, and more recently a Bluetooth headset. Works very well. Podcasts too.

I've configured osmand to turn on screen for five seconds at each instruction, saving battery. But I still need an external power supply to gp all day.
Any tips on how to set it up to do that. Exactly what I want to do

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK, did a test ride yesterday with the Samsung s5, OSMAND and the little bluetooth speaker thing

Jury out on the overall set up. Osmand seems to give an alert say 200m ahead of a turn, but then nothing at all at the turn itself. And since I had the screen set to time out after 5 secs, it was often dark at the turn itself

The cheap holder is a bit crap but was very cheap. Something solid with the screen in the open, and no gloves would give more control

The speaker was great (certainly for £5.60) and ideal for touring when you might want music or podcasts on a long day

Certainly the visual interface was excellent for the mapping

I am now looking at RWGPS $50 paid version which allows offline mapping as that means I can use my iPhone instead... some experimenting needed!

For now (with limitations) the Garmin is great

but then nothing at all at the turn itself.
That's weird.

It doesn't do that on my version. It definitely gives a second instruction about 20 metres from the turn. This is either with

I'm using the Pro version, but I don't think that is any different to the free version, it's just a way of making a donation.

I do have to manually turn the screen on when approaching a fork in the road and using GPX. If I don't get a voice command, I need to turn on the screen to confirm that the road that looks straight ahead to me, looks the same to "her".

Topeak dry bags really good, but not super cheap.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/waterproof-bags/536-smartphone-drybag-5"

If you want to persist with getting OSMAND to work, I will help if I can. I used it for a week of commuting (programmed in my regular commute, then tried to follow it) before using it in anger. The practice was essential. It is very open sourced. Things move around unexpectedly, and the documentation lags the interface, sometimes by years. But it's still pretty good, and it works without data. And on more than one audax, I've had to help Garmin users, because I could see the way clearly, but garmins were letting them down.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
That's weird.

It doesn't do that on my version. It definitely gives a second instruction about 20 metres from the turn. This is either with

I'm using the Pro version, but I don't think that is any different to the free version, it's just a way of making a donation.

I do have to manually turn the screen on when approaching a fork in the road and using GPX. If I don't get a voice command, I need to turn on the screen to confirm that the road that looks straight ahead to me, looks the same to "her".

Topeak dry bags really good, but not super cheap.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/waterproof-bags/536-smartphone-drybag-5"

If you want to persist with getting OSMAND to work, I will help if I can. I used it for a week of commuting (programmed in my regular commute, then tried to follow it) before using it in anger. The practice was essential. It is very open sourced. Things move around unexpectedly, and the documentation lags the interface, sometimes by years. But it's still pretty good, and it works without data. And on more than one audax, I've had to help Garmin users, because I could see the way clearly, but garmins were letting them down.
Thanks @jefmcg much appreciated. I will persevere!

JohnE

I have tried Osmand, but prefer to use a free Android app called “Bike Tracker” from PC Ability which does turn by turn navigation based on routes created on RideWithGPS (I just use the free version). Create your own routes, or use the "Find a ride" option (make sure you tick the box for rides with cue sheets). You can edit the cues if you wish to give yourself more meaningful directions. The app gives instructions well in advance of the next turn, then again just before the turn, and these distances are parameters that can be edited in the app settings (the defaults work fine for me). The app links to your RideWithGPS account and you can download all your GPX/TCX files to your phone in advance via wifi at home. On the ride, the app doesn't use your phone signal, just your GPS.

I use either Bluetooth headphones (I have the ones with a little hook around the ear for additional security) or I have a light which incorporates a Bluetooth loudspeaker (this works fine, but I occasionally miss an instruction if surrounded by noisy traffic, but then my hearing isn't great these days).

I always keep my phone in my bag. For me, looking at a map approaching a turn is too much of a distraction - I'd be an accident waiting to happen. I always double check my routes so that there is a cue at all junctions, and let the app guide me so I never need to check a map. If I do deviate off route, the app gives me directions to get back on route.

One thing I've never tried is playing music/podcast and running "Bike Tracker" at the same time - will try it next time I'm out.

JohnE

I tried it briefly with music playing, and it just cuts in and issues instructions, and then its back to the music.
Jay, if/when you use it, make sure you double check your route has an instruction at every junction. I do however adopt the premise that no instruction implies "continue straight ahead". It really is worth an extra few minutes double checking your route on RideWithGPS as it does not always automatically generate a cue at every junction, and it also (annoyingly) sometimes puts in a "Continue" in places where there is no alternative but to continue !
I've used it for a few months now for 20+ rides now. One or two hiccups getting used to its idiosyncrasies, but am intending to use it later this year on short multi day tours like c2c. I've even used it for guiding me round a few walks.
Good luck with it.
JohnE

Top Bottom