Navigation and music on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I know what you mean about the cues. I used it on a well known route yesterday and like you often get with RWGPS routes (presuambly off the google maps there will be a cue/"junction" half way down a straight road and others missing at a point where need. However I deliberately cut the corner of the route yesterday and was impressed with the off course messages and eventually after going far enough started to tell me the route was ahead

@JohnE How do you check there is a cue at each junction? it would seem that the only way in RWGPS is to read down the cue list and visually check against the map. Hard enough on a short route that you know but even harder in the middle of nowhere if you don't know the route.

Also do custom cues work on the app without a paid for RWGPS?

JohnE

To check there is a cue at each junction - no easy way, I'm afraid. As you suggested above, I zoom into the route and follow it from start to finish. In edit mode, the cues are shown as a yellow box, and if you hover over the box, it shows the basic cue. If I see a junction along the route without a cue, I add one (as I said above, no cue at a junction implies "continue straight ahead").

I can add custom cues and I don't pay, so you should be able to. When in Edit mode, on the right hand side are the editing options (Follow roads / Draw lines ... and if you scroll down (click on the sidebar) you will see Add to Cuesheet). Click on this, then click on your route at any point where you want to add a cue, a box pops up, enter you detail and save. After a while you will become very adept at adding / editing cues, and you will cover several miles in just a few minutes. One tip when adding cues : zoom right into the map to add the cue accurately at the turn point, otherwise the cue might be positioned just after the turn, and when riding you'll get the cue when you're right on, or past the turn (very confusing !).

As I mentioned, the Find a route option (with cuesheets) is great, as someone else has hopefully already done the hard work of checking cues for you.

Hope this helps.
JohnE Boy

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Well just done a 3:30 ride using Bike Tracker in conjunction with a Garmin 1000. Galaxy S5 down to 75% battery. used a little bluetooth earpiece. Only issue was a few miles where we came back along a road we had used on the way out and it seemed to give instructions for the correct (return) route and the the next one saying we appeared to be backtracking and should make a U turn! But all in all a very good supplement to the Garmin and an extremely impressive free app that is 100% free and requires no data connection (just wifi to get the rides off RWGPS).

Effectively it adds voice commands to the Garmin

JohnE

Your phone usage roughly matches that of my Motorola. My rule of thumb is 10% battery used per hour of riding, and that will include checking emails/messages/making a call whenever I stop for a break. So a 9/10 hour ride on a full charge - more than enough for me.

My routes tend to be circular so have not encountered the backtracking problem.

I still think its the best app on my phone. And as you say ... its free !

Top Bottom