NCN 45 Salisbury to Chester. Any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We’re looking at planning a moderate UK trip on our tandem, as the title. Probs 6 or 7 days @40 miles per day

Does anyone here have experience of this route, or parts thereof? I’ve plotted it out on Komoot but some sections look as though they might be more MTB friendly and unsuitable for our mode of transport.

As a guide to our experience and abilities, we’ve previously done Hadrians wall (Whitley Bay to Ravenglass) and route 4 from Fishguard to Chepstow and (separately) from Chepstow to Luton. 2019 rode from Roscoff to the Spanish border (eurovelo 1).

Not really into off-road unless it’s a “proper” track with hard packed surface or tarmac

My write-up - https://cycle.travel/route/mercian_way

It's a really enjoyable route, but bear in mind that some of the off-road sections are nominally "proper tracks" but in practice can be muddy and waterlogged. I'm thinking particularly of the RIdgeway section, Swindon–Cricklade, the Wyre Forest section past Bewdley (fine the first time I rode it... the second time was one of the most miserable afternoons I've had on a bike!), Bridgnorth–Ironbridge. They're all easily bypassable on B roads. I'd basically play it by ear depending on recent weather – if it's been dry then they should be fine if sometimes a little jarring, if it's been wet then I'd stick to the roads.

After Shrewsbury it's all on lanes.

The bit over the Cotswolds and up the lower Severn valley is lovely. The upper Severn valley is quite hilly and the climb out of Coalbrookdale is evil. That bit has been officially declassified as an NCN route, so you might need to find your own way (or divert via NCN 55/81 if you want to follow blue signs religiously).

OP
OP
mistyoptic

mistyoptic

Vintage
My write-up - https://cycle.travel/route/mercian_way

It's a really enjoyable route, but bear in mind that some of the off-road sections are nominally "proper tracks" but in practice can be muddy and waterlogged. I'm thinking particularly of the RIdgeway section, Swindon–Cricklade, the Wyre Forest section past Bewdley (fine the first time I rode it... the second time was one of the most miserable afternoons I've had on a bike!), Bridgnorth–Ironbridge. They're all easily bypassable on B roads. I'd basically play it by ear depending on recent weather – if it's been dry then they should be fine if sometimes a little jarring, if it's been wet then I'd stick to the roads.

After Shrewsbury it's all on lanes.

The bit over the Cotswolds and up the lower Severn valley is lovely. The upper Severn valley is quite hilly and the climb out of Coalbrookdale is evil. That bit has been officially declassified as an NCN route, so you might need to find your own way (or divert via NCN 55/81 if you want to follow blue signs religiously).
Thanks, Richard. I’ve just finished reading your write-up having been pointed to it by someone on the Tandem Club FB page. Very helpful

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've only ever ridden the bits of this route that are close to where I live, particularly between Shrewsbury and Bewdley. Heading south, much of this bit is on fairly good surfaces (i.e. lanes that may have the odd pothole/rough patches) but pretty undulating. However, the section between Ironbridge and Bridgnorth is on the old railway trackbed, much of which belongs to a couple of private estates so has a surface that varies from good to pretty rough (assuming it hasn't been redone recently). There are road alternatives if you want them but they will involve a fair bit of climbing. Between Bridgnorth and Bewdley it is mostly on hilly lanes, but near Chelmarsh the signed route takes you onto a section of the Jack Mytton Bridleway which I wouldn't really recommend due to the surface and the steepness. It can be avoided fairly easily by sticking to the road through Chelmarsh village and Hampton (or vice-versa),

The section through the Wyre Forest is on forestry roads and, in my experience, is very pleasant as long as you don't try and rush.

I hope this is of use.:okay:

Theres some off road from Higher Burwardsley that I've not used before - I'd stick on the roads there. Some lovely hills round Harthill too - don't think Cheshire is flat. And the route into Chester is along the canal - I'd probably just ride in on the roads instead.

OP
OP
mistyoptic

mistyoptic

Vintage
Theres some off road from Higher Burwardsley that I've not used before - I'd stick on the roads there. Some lovely hills round Harthill too - don't think Cheshire is flat. And the route into Chester is along the canal - I'd probably just ride in on the roads instead.
Thanks. We've done Audlem to Little Neston (on the Wirral) already. Went through Chester on the Millennium Greenway and didn't see it at all :rolleyes:

It's more the southern part that's a concern. Things like the Ridgeway and some parts of Shropshire as discussed above

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I forgot to mention between Hampton Loade and Alveley: a lot of this is on a path alongside the Severn Valley Railway. Near Hampton Loade station it's on a boarded walkway then becomes a tarmac path except near the Country Park Halt which is on hard packed gravel. It's undulating with one steep climb (or descent if headed northwards) but the big issue is a couple of the "A" shaped barriers which you may find awkward. They are intended to keep horses off the bit directly alongside the railway.

OP
OP
mistyoptic

mistyoptic

Vintage
I forgot to mention between Hampton Loade and Alveley: a lot of this is on a path alongside the Severn Valley Railway. Near Hampton Loade station it's on a boarded walkway then becomes a tarmac path except near the Country Park Halt which is on hard packed gravel. It's undulating with one steep climb (or descent if headed northwards) but the big issue is a couple of the "A" shaped barriers which you may find awkward. They are intended to keep horses off the bit directly alongside the railway.
Yeah, we’ve come across those A frames on the NCN into Derby. Not fun with figure of eight bars on the tandem

Top Bottom