NCN routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Inconsistency is the issue. Some are amazing like the Bristol Bath RWP. I realised just how bad our bad bits are when I cycled through parts of Europe in my twenties and more recently having toured with the kids around the NL.

I volunteered for Sustrans for years, but sadly decided to pack that in this year. Locally the group is only active during the week, the communication is really poor and it just really is not dynamic enough to keep the local network (NCN 24) in good nick despite it being some of the best Sustrans has in the country.

lilamccoll

Putting those end points into https://cycle.travel/map suggests it's NCN Route 74 which is about half on-road (often with cycle lanes, such as Abington-Crawford) and half on roadside cycle tracks. I suspect the main difficulties would be the two motorway junctions with the A702 - and that "(and back)" makes it about 100 miles, so newcomers would need to build up to it.

That’s great thank you for your reply. I am going to go and scope it out a bit so we can get an idea before hand but handy to know which bits would be trickiest. Yeah I know it’s a fair distance but it is for a good cause so hopefully that will push them on. Planning for June so going to get some training in beforehand

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The problem is that it varies a lot, so you are never quite sure what you are going to get other than an indirect route. Fine for pootling round the lanes for a bit, not my preference if trying to get somewhere. Use them selectively, cycle travel or open cycle map are good for seeing sections you might want to use.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's a shame that there's no cyclist-run national organisation that wants to develop a network of good transport routes, isn't it? For now, it seems like we're left plotting on tools like cycle.travel and trying to simplify the routes to make them easier to navigate, like snapping them to appropriate sections of NCN and National Byway (which are at least mostly signposted) and old by-roads when we can figure them out and they haven't been cut by quasimotorways (because that can be 5-10 miles where you don't have to worry about spotting turnings).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That’s great thank you for your reply. I am going to go and scope it out a bit so we can get an idea before hand but handy to know which bits would be trickiest. Yeah I know it’s a fair distance but it is for a good cause so hopefully that will push them on. Planning for June so going to get some training in beforehand
In case you don't know, clicking a displayed route on c.t will display a pop up offering to find geograph photos or to open a streetview link, which can be quite helpful, but it's always better to test-ride a route if you can if you're planning to direct a large group along it (and your insurers may require or prefer a formal risk assessment).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know some of the NCN's are inconsistent, especially surfaces, but it's not an issue on an MTB, but you'd be forced to walk with some bikes (road/hybrid) which can royally mess your ride up. The TPT near me isn't suitable for hybrids in parts where I live.

Same with Bridleways, sometimes like the M1, sometimes like a rock face. God know how horses cross some of them.

johnblack

Über Member
I know some of the NCN's are inconsistent, especially surfaces, but it's not an issue on an MTB, but you'd be forced to walk with some bikes (road/hybrid) which can royally mess your ride up. The TPT near me isn't suitable for hybrids in parts where I live.

Same with Bridleways, sometimes like the M1, sometimes like a rock face. God know how horses cross some of them.

I have the same kind of issue, locally, I know the routes and use the MTB if I need to, but if I want to plot a route to parts unknown for the road bike I just can't trust them. I've got to get to Exeter in a few months time, one route suggests using sections of the Avon & Kennet and Bridgewater to Taunton Canal. No idea if it's feasible.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi there, I am looking at organising a charity bike ride later in the year. We are wanting to leave from our work place in Hamilton and cycle to Moffat (and back). I have heard mixed opinions about the cycle path (as the above post shows) so just wondering what the best way to go would be. Some people are not very experienced and other are. Does the route go on roads? Obviously will need to at some points but just wondering what bits to watch out for. Any help would be great. Thank you :smile:
Me and @flyingfifi did this on our way to the Lake District - yes, we did Hamilton (Rutherglen for me) to the Lake District and back ^_^
Here is the ride report.
Here is the Route we took, on Strava - we met near the garage at Hamilton races, went through the park, then back out following route 74.
Yes, most of it is on road, some on narrow pavement (just coming out of Hamilton's Chatel), there are provisions at major roundabouts, sort of cycling exits.

lilamccoll

Me and @flyingfifi did this on our way to the Lake District - yes, we did Hamilton (Rutherglen for me) to the Lake District and back ^_^
Here is the ride report.
Here is the Route we took, on Strava - we met near the garage at Hamilton races, went through the park, then back out following route 74.
Yes, most of it is on road, some on narrow pavement (just coming out of Hamilton's Chatel), there are provisions at major roundabouts, sort of cycling exits.
Very helpful thank you ^_^

As far as I am aware, the whole system is run by volunteers (I may be wrong). If you have a grievance about the signage, why don`t you offer to help out and then everyone will benefit

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
As far as I am aware, the whole system is run by volunteers (I may be wrong). If you have a grievance about the signage, why don`t you offer to help out and then everyone will benefit

Your intentions probably come from a good place, but you are wrong I’m afraid. The key roles are paid positions.

Not sure where to go with this one, but I can tell you that having volunteered for Sustrans for years, getting anything done without ludicrous red tape is harder than cycling amongst the traffic of Mumbai.

Your intentions probably come from a good place, but you are wrong I’m afraid. The key roles are paid positions.

Not sure where to go with this one, but I can tell you that having volunteered for Sustrans for years, getting anything done without ludicrous red tape is harder than cycling amongst the traffic of Mumbai.

Fair enough, I always thought it was voluntary - gits!

Top Bottom