NCN routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Curlybars1972

Gave myself a bit of a beasting today on the MTB. Gradients galore, one was 21% for 2 miles and topped off with crappy weather
However, my point is that as I was on the MTB, I decided to use the NCN. Much to my annoyance, I found the signposting leaves much to be desired, and as for the access styles/gates, they can be a real pain with wide MTB handlebars and the need for constant dis/remounting.
What are the views of the above from you good people?

Gave myself a bit of a beasting today on the MTB. Gradients galore, one was 21% for 2 miles and topped off with crappy weather
However, my point is that as I was on the MTB, I decided to use the NCN. Much to my annoyance, I found the signposting leaves much to be desired, and as for the access styles/gates, they can be a real pain with wide MTB handlebars and the need for constant dis/remounting.
What are the views of the above from you good people?
I gave up on it years ago because of similar problems :-(

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
They're a great idea, but often poorly executed.
I've posted before about one near me that can't decide what it is, constantly changing between on road, on road in a painted cycle lane, shared space and bridleway - with the bridleway varying between firm, well drained hard packed earth to stony, rutted farm track to waterlogged mudfest that a skilled MTB rider would struggle to get through at this time of year. And there is nothing to tell you which bit is where before you ride it.
All that means you're guaranteed to be on the wrong sort of bike for parts of it and while in some places that's a simple annoyance in others your ride could be ruined.

Signage, around here at least, isn't a huge problem although it could be clearer in places.

OP
OP
Curlybars1972

Curlybars1972

They're a great idea, but often poorly executed.
I've posted before about one near me that can't decide what it is, constantly changing between on road, on road in a painted cycle lane, shared space and bridleway - with the bridleway varying between firm, well drained hard packed earth to stony, rutted farm track to waterlogged mudfest that a skilled MTB rider would struggle to get through at this time of year. And there is nothing to tell you which bit is where before you ride it.
All that means you're guaranteed to be on the wrong sort of bike for parts of it and while in some places that's a simple annoyance in others your ride could be ruined.

Signage, around here at least, isn't a huge problem although it could be clearer in places.
Unless I'm on a MTB, I don't use cycle paths. I've learned that lesson the hard way.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Some are good (Way of the Roses) some are mediocre (NCN 74 from Moffat to Glasgow) and some are downright unfit for purpose (NCN 4? Reading to Bath). They do have a tendency to take what are IMHO unnecessary diversions usually via hilly minor routes just to avoid fairly harmless alternatives.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some are good (Way of the Roses) some are mediocre (NCN 74 from Moffat to Glasgow) and some are downright unfit for purpose (NCN 4? Reading to Bath). They do have a tendency to take what are IMHO unnecessary diversions usually via hilly minor routes just to avoid fairly harmless alternatives.
Yes, they vary too much to say anything about them in general.

I think some of the deviations are because one of the original aims of the NCN was to be within X miles of Y% of the population, rather than be used by N% of cyclists or cycling.

The barriers are especially daft because they hinder many MTBs and some disabled users but some motorcycles can get through, as well as round. I understand Sustrans oppose their use now but aren't actively seeking barrier removal on existing routes, leaving it to local cycling campaigns.

Alan O

Über Member
The ones I've used are NCN 62 from Hale (south Liverpool) to Southport, NCN 810 Southport to north Liverpool, and parts of NCN 56, 89 and 70 around the Wirral.

My only cause for complaint is some of the barriers along NCN 62 in the northern part of Liverpool - ones where I have to get off and lift the bike on to its back wheel to get through. One in particular appears to be plonked randomly nowhere near an entry point, and the nearest entry points in each direction have their own barriers, so I see no possible purpose for it.

But overall, having all these routes is a major advance over what cycling round this area was like when I was younger - I especially like being able to get to Southport and back mostly off road (and, in dry weather, it's all good enough for my tourer).

Brandane

Legendary Member
Case in point.. NCN 74. Last Sunday I was riding from Moffat to Glasgow on the B7078 somewhere north of Lesmahagow. I had done about 40 miles, most of it uphill in cold, drizzly rain. Safe to say I was not feeling the love with my bike! I should have known better as I know the B7078 runs straight to Larkhall and has a decent surface without any hills worthy of mention - BUT, I saw the NCN74 signpost telling me to go left for Glasgow. In a moment of stupidity I decided to follow it. There followed over 7 miles of minor roads, up and down every hill in the area, over mud infested farm access roads, potholed, gravel strewn mess! The map below shows what the route was avoiding, a perfectly good B road which runs alongside the M74.. Why, Sustrans? Just - WHY??

Screenshot (11).png

midlife

Guru
Slightly off topic but I love the title you typed for the ride (on the tab) :smile:

lilamccoll

Hi there, I am looking at organising a charity bike ride later in the year. We are wanting to leave from our work place in Hamilton and cycle to Moffat (and back). I have heard mixed opinions about the cycle path (as the above post shows) so just wondering what the best way to go would be. Some people are not very experienced and other are. Does the route go on roads? Obviously will need to at some points but just wondering what bits to watch out for. Any help would be great. Thank you :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] Hamilton and cycle to Moffat (and back). I have heard mixed opinions about the cycle path (as the above post shows) so just wondering what the best way to go would be. Some people are not very experienced and other are. Does the route go on roads?
Putting those end points into https://cycle.travel/map suggests it's NCN Route 74 which is about half on-road (often with cycle lanes, such as Abington-Crawford) and half on roadside cycle tracks. I suspect the main difficulties would be the two motorway junctions with the A702 - and that "(and back)" makes it about 100 miles, so newcomers would need to build up to it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some of the NCN's are good, but the 'width restrictions' are a pain. Unfortunately, most of my off road rides encounter a few of these. No problem on my 90's MTB as the bars are relatively narrow, but not on my FS MTB.

It's even more fun when there is a group of you. Last year we came across one when there was a big group. It was quicker to sling the bike over the gate, then climb over it, than queue to get the bikes through. Main technique for the tight ones is to stand the bike on the rear wheel, front wheel straight, and just as you wheel the bike through, turn the bars as the front wheel clears the restriction to get the bars through. See it as an opportunity to 'stretch'.

Top Bottom