Nearly got punched by a cyclist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Well I am fully aware of the strength issue, but bullys generally size up their victims carefully to ensure they have the upper hand. If he had done that to me I'm sure I would have been every bit as scared as punky (though I might have stuck him in an armlock and forced him to apologise for being such a c*ck).

Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I'm any less vulnerable than a woman.

Threatening to punch anyone in the face is bullying.

If he had punched punky in the face, it would probably have had the same effect as punching you or me in the face (unless you box/ regularly get unched in the face). I personally think there is too much emphasis on physical strengh, and not enough on what would actually happen.

Of course we are talking about ranges here, a weak man could easily be beaten up by a strong woman. However a strong man would not be overcome by even the strongest woman. Just accept the fact that men are generally stronger than women. These things are not often taken on a case by case basis in our society, if you are a man you are expected to be able to handle yourself, if you're a women, you're not.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To 'square up' as you call it to a 'bloke' is a big risk, to do something like that to a woman is down right low life scum ;) - that is how low society is these days... no respect at all !

I'd square up to anyone, but you have to weigh up the psycho/drugs/tooled up element - erm... just back down unless really sure they ain't tooled up - and a screwdriver is enough to end your life .....

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but even if a woman was hugely aggressive to me I'd just let it go, it's just not done.....

I had an abusive bus driver today, off bike - was using a bus, let it go, I was a passenger, just pulled the ticket out too fast...big deal, he went ballistic... told him to calm down and walked off.....could have held up a crammed bus having a 'discussion' - just left it and hit customer services via email with the bus number and all the info - we'll see.

Just because someone isn't armed, doesn't make them less dangerous.

I think I have posted this before on a similar thread. My one and only proper fight ended very quickly indeed. The giant raging chav who decided to try and punch me in the face, swung one punch that I dodged, and his second I caught and converted to a very painful armlock. Just by leaning slightly I had his face pushed into the pavement, and if I had been so inclined I could have broken his wrist and dislocated his elbow and shoulder, without doing anything more than letting my weight fall forwards.

The only true victory is to not begin fighting.

Hands and feet can be lethal, I know how to use a newspaper as a lethal weapon.

If a woman "squared up" to me, I would assume she was fully serious about kicking my ass, and I would prepare to react accordingly. i.e. Dodge. Distract. Run (like fcuk!)

There are a number of ways.

Someone (with much more experience than I) can roll it to form a point, and use that to pierce the neck, or enter the skull through an eye.

A rolled up newspaper strike at either temporal join can kill. For me, and my level of development this is more something to know, rather than something I have the sills to be able to theoretically bring to bear in a fight. For me this would be a move to use to kill my adversary, should I have already incapacitated them.

However, using a newspaper to defend and riposte a knife attack is within my skills. A rolled newspaper is more than capable of breaking a jaw or fingers. It will defend against direct knife blows when used as a shield along a forearm, and can be used effecively as a brace in a close wrist or neck lock. Also due to its nature when rolled, allows you to mantain a contact point that much further away from your adversary.

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
There are a number of ways.

Someone (with much more experience than I) can roll it to form a point, and use that to pierce the neck, or enter the skull through an eye.

A rolled up newspaper strike at either temporal join can kill. For me, and my level of development this is more something to know, rather than something I have the sills to be able to theoretically bring to bear in a fight. For me this would be a move to use to kill my adversary, should I have already incapacitated them.

However, using a newspaper to defend and riposte a knife attack is within my skills. A rolled newspaper is more than capable of breaking a jaw or fingers. It will defend against direct knife blows when used as a shield along a forearm, and can be used effecively as a brace in a close wrist or neck lock. Also due to its nature when rolled, allows you to mantain a contact point that much further away from your adversary.

The best defence i find is the 100 mtres sprint,no bounce,er roll, forget it.

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN right col.

I have run away from 2 potential fights, and therefore won them.

When I first started ninjitsu, we were told over and over agian Dodge.Distract.Run its a silly sounding mantra, but that is the easies and fastest way to win a fight.

Get out of the contact zone.

Shout "LOOK!" and point diagonally behind them.

Run. Like. Hell.

If you come to blows, you have already lost the battle, and can only hope to win the fight.

col

Legendary Member
One of my colleagues had a run in,he was threatened by a car driver who cut him up,my colleague had dared to sound his horn at him,so he pulled up in front of the bus at the next stop,walked to the bus doors and said he was going to hit the driver,the driver calmly informed him that if he did,did he really think he could get to his nice car,before the bus did? The car driver just left.

Dodge. Distract. Run may sound silly, but it is seriously good advice.

Dodge - Move backwards diagonally, this puts your adversary at a disadvantage as they must turn to face you before tyring again.

Distract - Shouting "LOOK" at the top of your voice, accompanied by pointing diagonally over their shoulder will break their concentration for a second.

Run - Pretty obvious really. Fast as you can. Don't look back. Focus on what you are doing. Feel free to scream "HELP" at the top of your voice if you can spare the lung capacity. Don't run into anywhere you can't see an exit. "People" will not save you, they will only reduce the chance of your adversary continuing their attack. Once you have escaped, stay escaped. Don't go back there for any reason.

Only strike an adversary as a Very Last Resort. If you hurt someone, but don't incapacitate them, they will be more angry and less in control of the damage they inflict on you.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Punky,

All joking aside, I was once attacked by a 'what's your problem?' ped because he thought my slowing down and stopping(before he crossed the road without looking), as a sudden threat or imposition for which I was punched in the head a few times and lost a front tooth for my troubles.

My feeling has always been that whoever; male or female, rider or ped had crossed this 'dude' at this time he would have meated out the same treatment regardless.

Today you sadly met the nutter on a bike.

Best wishes,

Trd1nka x

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Jacomus,

My first instincts are generally to flee from trouble whenever possible, minimise injury and hide. It has served me well. Apart from my example above that is............

T x

Top Bottom